* [***SPAM***] Widows: penalty without efffect (ConTeXt iv)
@ 2012-08-09  9:36 d_jan
From: d_jan @ 2012-08-09  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear List,

I ran into trouble with the widow/orphan-control in context.
I searched the mailinglist, and saw that there were some other threads
on the topic bevore, but as far as I am concerned what was suggested
there did not work for me when I tried it.

I run context iv using the version which comes with TexLive 2011.

First trail was to include \widowpenalty=9000 and \clubpenalty=9000 at
the start of the document, before \starttext (cause I do my setups, and
definitions there)
As this did not work I tried to put them after \starttext. As well I
lowered \brokenpenalty. But both approaches, which were suggested in

Is there anything I could do to prevent the widow lines?

PS.: As I may be doing any noobish errors, here an overview of the
documents structure and the placement of the penalty-commands
_________________________________

\widowpenalty=9000
\clubpenalty=9000

\definepapersize[janssize][width=190mm, height=245mm]

\setuppapersize[janssize][A4] %we can use something like [A5][A4], which
is a a5 Page sized Document printed on a A4 sheet

\setuplayout[grid=yes, marking=on, location=middle, backspace=30mm,
width=110mm]%former: location=doublesided

\starttext

\startstandardmakeup
\stopstandardmakeup

\startfrontmatter
%TOC...
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter %the main stuff goes here
% Loads of text
\stopbodymatter

\startappendices %appendices go here
\stopappendices

\stoptext

* Re: [***SPAM***] Widows: penalty without efffect (ConTeXt iv)
@ 2012-08-09 12:25 ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2012-08-09 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

did you see [1]? You have to do something like

\starttext
\clubpenalty=10000
\widowpenalty=10000

My text that should not contain any widow or orphan lines.
\stoptext

If that does not work for you, please provide a minimal example.

HTH,
Stefan

[1]
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20111211.162442.4f689e7b.en.html

@ 2012-08-09 12:26 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-08-09 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.08.2012 um 11:36 schrieb d_jan <d_jan@ymail.com>:

> Dear List,
>
> I ran into trouble with the widow/orphan-control in context.
> I searched the mailinglist, and saw that there were some other threads on the topic bevore, but as far as I am concerned what was suggested there did not work for me when I tried it.
>
> I run context iv using the version which comes with TexLive 2011.
>
> First trail was to include \widowpenalty=9000 and \clubpenalty=9000 at the start of the document, before \starttext (cause I do my setups, and definitions there)
> As this did not work I tried to put them after \starttext. As well I lowered \brokenpenalty. But both approaches, which were suggested in previous Posts on the ntg-context list failed to show an effect in my case.
>
> Is there anything I could do to prevent the widow lines?

You can change the default penalties with \setuplayout[setups=…], the default setting is \setuplayout[setups=*default] but you can change this to “setups=*strict”  which should help. It’s also possible to create your own penalties setup, e.g.

\startsetups mypenalties

  \widowpenalty = 9000
  \clubpenalty  = 9000

\stopsetups

\setuplayout[setups=mypenalties]

\starttext
…
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: [***SPAM***] Widows: penalty without efffect (ConTeXt iv)
@ 2012-08-09 18:36   ` d_jan
From: d_jan @ 2012-08-09 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Stephan,
Thanks for your help. Seemingly I missed that in my search on the list.

\starttext
\clubpenalty=10000
\widowpenalty=10000
\brokenpenalty=10000