* [bibliography] publications layout
@ 2011-05-23 22:50 finkler
From: finkler @ 2011-05-23 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi there,

in my publication list from the bibliography, every word, except the
first starts in small case letters. How can I change this?

I am using the beta.

regards,
finkler

* Re: [bibliography] publications layout
@ 2011-05-23 22:57 ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-05-23 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue 24 May 2011, finkler wrote:

> in my publication list from the bibliography, every word, except the
> first starts in small case letters. How can I change this?

This might help: http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=capbibtex

Pont

* Re: [bibliography] publications layout
@ 2011-05-24  7:36   ` Stefan Müller
From: Stefan Müller @ 2011-05-24  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24.05.2011 00:57, Pontus Lurcock wrote:
> On Tue 24 May 2011, finkler wrote:
>
>> in my publication list from the bibliography, every word, except the
>> first starts in small case letters. How can I change this?
>
> This might help: http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=capbibtex
>
> Pont

Hi,

is the bibliograph style as mentioned in "If your document design
specification requires a different style of capitalisation, you should
acquire a bibliography style that doesn’t enforce BibTeX’s default
rules." from the website you suggested, the same thing I set up with
   \setuppublications[alternative=...]
? I'm using "ams" there and realized that the title tag of @book is not
treated that way (so with @book there are caps inside the title without
extra {} in the bib-file).

Stefan

* Re: [bibliography] publications layout
@ 2011-05-24  9:05     ` Pontus Lurcock
From: Pontus Lurcock @ 2011-05-24  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue 24 May 2011, Stefan Müller wrote:

> is the bibliograph style as mentioned in "If your document design
> specification requires a different style of capitalisation, you should
> acquire a bibliography style that doesn’t enforce BibTeX’s default
> rules." from the website you suggested, the same thing I set up with
>   \setuppublications[alternative=...]

Yes, I believe so (though I get a bit confused with BibTeX, so I could
be wrong). Personally I use the suggested solution of wrapping
‘proper’ capital latters in {}. If you need a custom style that
doesn't decapitalize article titles, that's beyond my BibTeXpertise
but maybe there is someone else here who can help.

> ? I'm using "ams" there and realized that the title tag of @book is not
> treated that way (so with @book there are caps inside the title without
> extra {} in the bib-file).

This is the case for most bibliography styles: journal articles only
get capitals for the first letter, proper nouns, chemical symbols, etc.;
Book Titles get Capital Letters for Most Words.

Pont

* Re: [bibliography] publications layout
@ 2011-05-24  9:39       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2011-05-24  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 24, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Pontus Lurcock wrote:

>> ? I'm using "ams" there and realized that the title tag of @book is
>> not
>> treated that way (so with @book there are caps inside the title
>> without
>> extra {} in the bib-file).
>
> This is the case for most bibliography styles: journal articles only
> get capitals for the first letter, proper nouns, chemical symbols,
> etc.;
> Book Titles get Capital Letters for Most Words.

This is controlled by the "bst" style you use. If you look into the
directory

$CONTEXT/tex/texmf-context/bibtex/bst/context/

you'll find a number of them. They contain

FUNCTION {do.t.out}
{ duplicate$ empty$
     { pop$ pop$ write$}
     { "{" swap$ "t" change.case$ * "}" * * write$ pop$ newline$ }
   if$
}

this is the function that changes uppercase to lowercase (I have no
idea why this was ever considered a good thing, but scientists, as
opposed to scholars in the humanities, can be very strange people).
Further on, you'll find that this function is used in e.g.

FUNCTION {format.arttitle}
{ "" "\arttitle" title do.t.out }

if you change this to

FUNCTION {format.arttitle}
{ "" "\arttitle" title do.out }

the case will not be changed. And: this is something I found out by
sheer bloody-mindedness, I don't have the faintest idea about bst-
syntax, and from what I hear, most people think it's a bloody mess. So
use at your own risk...

HTH

Thomas