* Re: TOC: Chapters with and without page-numbers
@ 2013-03-15  6:46 "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-03-15  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Maybe I have not made it clear, what I mean?

My Minexample is:

\setuplist[chapter][pagenumber=no]
\starttext
\completecontent
\chapter{Chapter 1}
\section{Section 1}
\chapter{Chapter 2}
\stoptext

Now Chapter 1 is without pagenumber in the TOC, correct, because it has
a section after the chapter-title! But Chapter 2 has no sections, so it
need a page number, how to do that?

Regards,
Huseyin

* Re: TOC: Chapters with and without page-numbers
@ 2013-03-15  8:07 ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2013-03-15  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I could find any options to do what you want.

I assume you would have to redefine completecontent command to get
the functionality you need.

I have not checked, but I assume that completecontent accesses a Lua-table
with the TOC information. It should be easy enough to use this table to create
the effect you want.

regards
	Keith.

@ 2013-03-15 15:53   ` john Culleton
From: john Culleton @ 2013-03-15 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:07:33 +0100
"Keith J. Schultz" <keithjschultz@web.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I could find any options to do what you want.
>
> I assume you would have to redefine completecontent command to get
> the functionality you need.
>
> I have not checked, but I assume that completecontent accesses a
> Lua-table with the TOC information. It should be easy enough to use
> this table to create the effect you want.
>
> regards
> 	Keith.
>
> Am 15.03.2013 um 07:46 schrieb H. Özoguz <h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de>:
>
> > Maybe I have not made it clear, what I mean?
> >
> > My Minexample is:
> >
> > \setuplist[chapter][pagenumber=no]
> > \starttext
> > \completecontent
> > \chapter{Chapter 1}
> > \section{Section 1}
> > \chapter{Chapter 2}
> > \stoptext
> >
> > Now Chapter 1 is without pagenumber in the TOC, correct, because it
> > has a section after the chapter-title! But Chapter 2 has no
> > sections, so it need a page number, how to do that?

With other versions of TeX (eplain comes to mind) You can edit the
TOC file external to the tex program, and then take a second run
without recording page numbers. There is a command for this.
With Context this might be too complex.

I see no problem with having a page number on chapter 1 however.
Most books look that way. The Chicago Manual of Style  has:

Proofs (a chapter)   91
Introduction (a section)  91

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press

* Re: TOC: Chapters with and without page-numbers
@ 2013-03-15 17:24     ` Jonathan Barchi
From: Jonathan Barchi @ 2013-03-15 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM, john Culleton <John@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:07:33 +0100
> "Keith J. Schultz" <keithjschultz@web.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I could find any options to do what you want.
>>
>> I assume you would have to redefine completecontent command to get
>> the functionality you need.
>>
>> I have not checked, but I assume that completecontent accesses a
>> Lua-table with the TOC information. It should be easy enough to use
>> this table to create the effect you want.
>>
>> regards
>>       Keith.
>>
>> Am 15.03.2013 um 07:46 schrieb H. Özoguz <h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de>:
>>
>> > Maybe I have not made it clear, what I mean?
>> >
>> > My Minexample is:
>> >
>> > \setuplist[chapter][pagenumber=no]
>> > \starttext
>> > \completecontent
>> > \chapter{Chapter 1}
>> > \section{Section 1}
>> > \chapter{Chapter 2}
>> > \stoptext
>> >
>> > Now Chapter 1 is without pagenumber in the TOC, correct, because it
>> > has a section after the chapter-title! But Chapter 2 has no
>> > sections, so it need a page number, how to do that?

> With other versions of TeX (eplain comes to mind) You can edit the
> TOC file external to the tex program, and then take a second run
> without recording page numbers. There is a command for this.
> With Context this might be too complex.
>
> I see no problem with having a page number on chapter 1 however.
> Most books look that way. The Chicago Manual of Style  has:
>
> Proofs (a chapter)   91
> Introduction (a section)  91
>

> --
> John Culleton
> Wexford Press
> Free list of books for self-publishers:
> http://wexfordpress.net/shortlist.html
> PDF e-book: "Create Book Covers with Scribus"
> available at http://www.booklocker.com/books/4055.html

I think you may be able to do this with a combination of \setupheads
and \setuphead commands, along with possibly defining a new head that
inherits from chapter (\definehead[name][chapter], then
\setuphead[name]).

I don't really have time to play much with this now, but see the
following links for a bunch more information on the commands above and
on section heads in general. There are several arguments to
setupheads/setuphead that modify how numbering is handled.

1. http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Category:Command/Sections
2. http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles

The second article, in particular, has been very helpful for me in
setting up some of the headers for my dissertation.

Jon

* Re: TOC: Chapters with and without page-numbers
@ 2013-03-15 18:13 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-03-15 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.03.2013 um 07:46 schrieb H. Özoguz <h.oezoguz@mmnetz.de>:

> Maybe I have not made it clear, what I mean?
>
> My Minexample is:
>
> \setuplist[chapter][pagenumber=no]
> \starttext
> \completecontent
> \chapter{Chapter 1}
> \section{Section 1}
> \chapter{Chapter 2}
> \stoptext
>
> Now Chapter 1 is without pagenumber in the TOC, correct, because it has a section after the chapter-title! But Chapter 2 has no sections, so it need a page number, how to do that?

You can play with the following solution, it’s a bit dirty because you have to save the values of the chapter entry before you check for section entries.

\setuplist[chapter][alternative=mychapter]

\definelistalternative[mychapter][renderingsetup=list:mychapter]

\startsetups[list:mychapter]

  \par

  \setbox\scratchboxone\hbox{\currentlistentrynumber \quad \currentlistentrytitle \quad \currentlistentrypagenumber}
  \setbox\scratchboxtwo\hbox{\currentlistentrynumber \quad \currentlistentrytitle}

  \determinelistcharacteristics[section]

  \ifnum\listlength=0
    \box\scratchboxone
  \else
    \box\scratchboxtwo
  \fi

  \par

\stopsetups

\starttext
\completecontent
\chapter{Chapter 1}
\section{Section 1}
\chapter{Chapter 2}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* TOC: Chapters with and without page-numbers
@ 2013-03-12 11:03 "H. Özoguz"
From: "H. Özoguz" @ 2013-03-12 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello there,

normally I use

\setuplist[chapter][pagenumber=no]

to prevent pages for chapters in the TOC, because normally (!) after
every chapter-titel comes a section-title, directly, without text
between the two titles. And so it is in this case enough to give the
page-number for the section-titles only.
But now I have an book with one single chapter, which do not have
sections. So with

\setuplist[chapter][pagenumber=no]

it has no page-number in the TOC. I want to have the page-number for
this single chapter-title only, but for the other chapter-titles (which
have section-titles after them) I want still the above setting. How to
do that?

Thank you!
Huseyin

PS.: Sorry for sending this question with the wrong email-adress one
minute before, it awaits moderation, but can be deleted, of course.

* TOC: Chapters with and without page-numbers
@ 2013-03-12 11:01 "H. Özoguz"