* mathring circle above a letter
@ 2019-09-14  9:36 Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-09-14  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

The \mathring command puts a small circle above a letter, but in some fonts (namely Lucida OT) that circle is too small. So thanks to a hint by Hans and Wolfgang some years ago I use the following definition which works fine when used alone. But in maths, one needs sometimes to use it with the command \overline (or \overbar) and the result is not nice.

Can someone tell me please whether it is possible to modify the \mathring command so that th ecircle is a little bit larger, or the one I define below as \interior in order to have a correct result (more clearly said: I would like the small circle to be put above the bar which is itself above the A in $\interior{\overline{A}}$).

Thanks for any help: OK

%%% begin mathring-interior.tex
\setuppapersize[A5][A5]
\definemathstackers[MySymbol]
	[voffset=-1.2\mathexheight,
	hoffset=\zeropoint,
	mathclass=ord,
	topoffset=.3\mathemwidth, % poor man's italic correction
	middlecommand=\mathematics]
%\define[1]\interior{\mathover[MySymbol]{"2218}{#1}} %2218 U+00B0
\define[1]\interior{\mathover[MySymbol]{176}{#1}} %2218 U+00B0

\starttext
The interior of a set $A$ is denoted by $\interior{A}$.

The interior of a set $A$ is denoted by $\mathring{A}$.

The closure of the interior is $\overline{\interior{A}}$.

Beware $\overline{\interior{A}} \neq \interior{\overline{A}}$. (This is not nice\dots).

Beware $\overline{\mathring{A}} \neq \mathring{\overline{A}}$
\stoptext

%%% end mathring-interior.tex

[-- Attachment #2: mathring-interior.pdf --]

* Re: mathring circle above a letter
@ 2019-09-14 11:03 ` Atsuhito Kohda
From: Atsuhito Kohda @ 2019-09-14 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Otared and all,

This is very naive idea but anyway please try this.
Just before the \starttext insert the following line:
\unexpanded\def\dotlessring    #1{\tfa\normalring    {\mathdotless#1}}

Best regards,
Atsuhito Kohda

@ 2019-09-14 11:50   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-09-14 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Atsuhito Kohda,

Thanks for your attention, but in fact \mathring and what you suggest, that is \dotlessring, give the same result. What I am looking for is to replace the small circle used by \mathring by a slightly bigger circle.

Best regards: OK

@ 2019-09-14 12:08     ` Atsuhito Kohda
From: Atsuhito Kohda @ 2019-09-14 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Otared,

Sorry for my mistake.  Of course you will need more fine tuning but
\unexpanded\def\dotlessring    #1{\tfb\normalring    {\tfx\mathdotless#1}}
might help you a bit.  But if not please ignore this.

Best regards,
Atsuhito Kohda

@ 2019-09-14 12:52       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-09-14 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Atsuhito Kohda,

Thank you: I didn't know how to tweak the fontsizes in the command you suggested. With your explannation I can get a good result with \dotlessring.

Many thanks for your help: OK

@ 2019-09-14 13:07       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-09-14 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)