* active characters in mkiv (and mkii)
@ 2008-07-07 10:25 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-07-07 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi all,

I would like to make the exclamation mark active within my Greek
environment; it should remain a normal letter outside of these
commands and environments. (Why? Exclamation marks aren't used in
Greek, and in mkii, I had mapped it to the sublinear dot which is used
for epigraphical and papyrological texts.)

In pdf(e)tex, Hans wrote this macro for me:

\long\def\rescanwithsetup#1#2%
    {{\directsetup{#1}\scantokens{#2\ignorespaces}}}

but I'm not sure how to have a similar thing for mkiv (and ! is
special anyway, so I'm running into trouble here...). Any pointers? Or
is this a bad idea, and I should look for other solutions?

Thanks

Thomas

* Re: active characters in mkiv (and mkii)
@ 2008-07-07 11:20 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-07 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to make the exclamation mark active within my Greek
> environment; it should remain a normal letter outside of these
> commands and environments. (Why? Exclamation marks aren't used in
> Greek, and in mkii, I had mapped it to the sublinear dot which is used
> for epigraphical and papyrological texts.)
>
> In pdf(e)tex, Hans wrote this macro for me:
>
> \long\def\rescanwithsetup#1#2%
>     {{\directsetup{#1}\scantokens{#2\ignorespaces}}}
>
> but I'm not sure how to have a similar thing for mkiv (and ! is
> special anyway, so I'm running into trouble here...). Any pointers? Or
> is this a bad idea, and I should look for other solutions?

forget about the past, think about what kind of functionality you want

for instance,

"we need a language dependent feature that remaps characters"

so, what are the specs; maybe other languages need similar things

(there is already something available which we can easily extend)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-07-07 11:55   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-07-07 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 7, 2008, at 1:20 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> forget about the past, think about what kind of functionality you want
>
> for instance,
>
> "we need a language dependent feature that remaps characters"
>
> so, what are the specs; maybe other languages need similar things
>
> (there is already something available which we can easily extend)

OK, acknowledged. However, this is a special case because:

- it is not a language feature, it is just something for a special
sort of ancient Greek texts (the subdot accent doesn't exist in Greek);

- the character is available in just a few fonts, so my idea was to
really write a macro which will specifically fetch the glyph from a
specific font.

So for the time being, the specs are (for my module)

~ => inactive (already done in the module)
| => inactive (already done in the module)
! => active, map to Unicode character 0323 in a font that has this
character

Thanks Hans!

All best

@ 2008-07-07 12:01     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-07 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Jul 7, 2008, at 1:20 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> forget about the past, think about what kind of functionality you want
>>
>> for instance,
>>
>> "we need a language dependent feature that remaps characters"
>>
>> so, what are the specs; maybe other languages need similar things
>>
>> (there is already something available which we can easily extend)
>
> OK, acknowledged. However, this is a special case because:
>
> - it is not a language feature, it is just something for a special
> sort of ancient Greek texts (the subdot accent doesn't exist in Greek);
>
> - the character is available in just a few fonts, so my idea was to
> really write a macro which will specifically fetch the glyph from a
> specific font.
>
> So for the time being, the specs are (for my module)
>
> ~ => inactive (already done in the module)
> | => inactive (already done in the module)
> ! => active, map to Unicode character 0323 in a font that has this
> character

in that case, how abotu a fallback font ...

% \definefontfallback [whatever] [Slanted]     [0x0060-0x007F] [force=yes]
% \definefontfallback [whatever] [Bold]
[0x0080:0x00FF,0x00A0:0x00AF] [rscale=2.0]
% \definefontfallback [whatever] [BoldSlanted] ["00C0-"00C7]
[check=yes,force=yes]
% \definefontfallback [whatever] [Mono]        [latinextendeda]
[force=yes] % 0x0100:0x017F
% \definefontfallback [whatever] [Mono]        [latin extended a]
[force=yes] % 0x0100:0x017F
%
% \definefontsynonym[SerifPlus][Serif][fallbacks=whatever]
%
% \definefont[MySerif][SerifPlus at 10pt]
%
% \startcolumns[n=6]
%     \MySerif
%     \dostepwiserecurse {0} {65000} {1} {
%         \iffontchar\font\recurselevel
%             {\tttf\uchexnumbers\recurselevel:} \char\recurselevel\par
%         \fi
%     }
% \stopcolumns

so, you define a fallbackfont for your greek font

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-07-07 13:39       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-07-07 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 7, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> so, you define a fallbackfont for your greek font
>
> Hans

That looks good; I'll have a go at it (I guess the fallback can be
enabled on the typescript level, right?). However, I'm still left
wondering if it doesn't make sense to make the ! active and map it to
the sublinear dot - much easier to input via the keyboard.

@ 2008-07-07 14:17         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-07 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Jul 7, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> so, you define a fallbackfont for your greek font
>>
>> Hans
>>

> That looks good; I'll have a go at it (I guess the fallback can be
> enabled on the typescript level, right?). However, I'm still left
> wondering if it doesn't make sense to make the ! active and map it to
> the sublinear dot - much easier to input via the keyboard.

no, active chars are a pain ... because they need to adapt to all kind
of situations then, i'm glad that i got rid of the active : cum suis

of course we can add a new core-spa feature that remaps chars (kind of
like french spacing)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-07-07 18:37           ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-07-07 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 7, 2008, at 4:17 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> no, active chars are a pain ... because they need to adapt to all kind
> of situations then, i'm glad that i got rid of the active : cum suis
>
> of course we can add a new core-spa feature that remaps chars (kind of
> like french spacing)

OK, OK, you win :-) I'll try and see if I can cook up some remap +
fallback solution which I can implement. For the remapping stuff, I'll
go through fea-files or what would be the cleanest way?

Thomas