* docbook(5) to context conversion
@ 2016-02-22 10:08 David Nebauer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Nebauer @ 2016-02-22 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

Are there any publicly available solutions for converting
docbook/docbook5 to context? In searching the context wiki, pragma-ade
site, ntg-context archives and the web, I encountered three suggestions:

* dbcontext
     - part of dblatex, abandoned ~10 years ago

* context style sheets +/- lua
     - generic xml solutions mentioned in help docs such as
       "Dealing with XML in Context MkIV"
     - generic xml solutions also mentioned in context wiki page "XML Lua"

* xslt style sheets

Any pointers to more specific or developed resources, or even examples,
would be appreciated.

David

* Re: docbook(5) to context conversion
@ 2016-02-22 10:10 ` Jan U. Hasecke
       [not found] ` <020001d16db4$725810d0$57083270$@tosovsky@email.cz>
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2016-02-22 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 22.02.2016 um 11:08 schrieb David Nebauer:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any publicly available solutions for converting
> docbook/docbook5 to context?

You may find a way with Pandoc.

http://pandoc.org/

juh

* Re: docbook(5) to context conversion
@ 2016-02-22 11:09   ` David Nebauer
From: David Nebauer @ 2016-02-22 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/02/16 19:40, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:
> Am 22.02.2016 um 11:08 schrieb David Nebauer:
>> Are there any publicly available solutions for converting
>> docbook/docbook5 to context?
> You may find a way with Pandoc.
>
> http://pandoc.org/
>
> juh

Thanks. I'll check it out.

* Re: docbook(5) to context conversion
@ 2016-02-22 21:03 ` Jan Tosovsky
       [not found] ` <020001d16db4$725810d0$57083270$@tosovsky@email.cz>
From: Jan Tosovsky @ 2016-02-22 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-02-22 David Nebauer wrote:

> Are there any publicly available solutions for converting
> docbook/docbook5 to context? ...
>
> * dbcontext
>      - part of dblatex, abandoned ~10 years ago

I used this way some time ago, but it required tweaks in approx 10 xslt files to make it compatible with Context MkIV (depends how many elements you use in your source, my is not so complex).

For me, XSLT programmer, this is the most natural approach. You can directly customize your outputs this way.

I call the transformation directly via command line without that default python stuff.

Some general tweaks were sent to the original author who promised merging them. He also mentioned planned update in the near future...

Jan

* Re: docbook(5) to context conversion
       [not found] ` <020001d16db4$725810d0$57083270$@tosovsky@email.cz>
@ 2016-02-23  8:16   ` David Nebauer
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: David Nebauer @ 2016-02-23  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23/02/16 06:33, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> On 2016-02-22 David Nebauer wrote:
>> Are there any publicly available solutions for converting
>> docbook/docbook5 to context? ...
>>
>> * dbcontext
>>       - part of dblatex, abandoned ~10 years ago
> I used this way some time ago, but it required tweaks in approx 10 xslt files to make it compatible with Context MkIV

Cool. Any chance you could post your amended xslt files to give a newbie
a head start?

> Some general tweaks were sent to the original author who promised merging them. He also mentioned planned update in the near future...

Since then dbcontext has been removed from the dblatex distribution. The
current dblatex is 0.3.7 but it looks like the most recent dbcontext is
from 0.2pre. I think the chances of dbcontext getting further love from
its author are not good...

@ 2016-02-23  8:34     ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]     ` <029201d16f59$33b7efc0$9b27cf40$@tosovsky@email.cz>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2016-02-23  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/23/2016 9:16 AM, David Nebauer wrote:
> On 23/02/16 06:33, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
>> On 2016-02-22 David Nebauer wrote:
>>> Are there any publicly available solutions for converting
>>> docbook/docbook5 to context? ...
>>>
>>> * dbcontext
>>>       - part of dblatex, abandoned ~10 years ago
>> I used this way some time ago, but it required tweaks in approx 10
>> xslt files to make it compatible with Context MkIV
>
> Cool. Any chance you could post your amended xslt files to give a newbie
> a head start?

it's probably not too complicated to implement a reasonable subset of
docbook using the built in parser (i just never needed to do docbook)

Hans

* Re: docbook(5) to context conversion
@ 2016-02-24 23:15     ` Jan Tosovsky
       [not found]     ` <029201d16f59$33b7efc0$9b27cf40$@tosovsky@email.cz>
From: Jan Tosovsky @ 2016-02-24 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-02-23 David Nebauer wrote:
> On 23/02/16 06:33, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> > On 2016-02-22 David Nebauer wrote:
> > >
> > > Are there any publicly available solutions for converting
> > > docbook/docbook5 to context? ...
> > >
> > > * dbcontext - part of dblatex, abandoned ~10 years ago
> >
> > I used this way some time ago, but it required tweaks in approx
> > 10 xslt files to make it compatible with Context MkIV
>
> Cool. Any chance you could post your amended xslt files to give a
> newbie a head start?

Ok, I will publish it on my GitHub account later next week (after necessary cleanup).

But to be honest, even minimal XSLT skills are required to customize your output. In meantime you can dive into http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomMethods.html :-)

Jan

@ 2016-02-25 14:20       ` David Nebauer
       [not found]       ` <01ad01d194f7$9f3c7ef0$ddb57cd0$@tosovsky@email.cz>
From: David Nebauer @ 2016-02-25 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 25/02/16 08:45, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> On 2016-02-23 David Nebauer wrote:
>> Any chance you could post your amended xslt files?
> Ok, I will publish it on my GitHub account later next week (after necessary cleanup).

Thanks, I'll watch for it. In the meantime I'll brush up on docbook xsl
customisation.

@ 2016-04-12 20:12       ` Jan Tosovsky
       [not found]       ` <01ad01d194f7$9f3c7ef0$ddb57cd0$@tosovsky@email.cz>
From: Jan Tosovsky @ 2016-04-12 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-02-25 Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> On 2016-02-23 David Nebauer wrote:

> > > I used this way some time ago, but it required tweaks in
> > > approx 10 xslt files to make it compatible with Context MkIV
> >
> > Cool. Any chance you could post your amended xslt files to give a
> > newbie a head start?
>
> Ok, I will publish it on my GitHub account later next week (after
> necessary cleanup).

As promised, I've published a set of XSLT stylesheets for DocBook to ConTeXt conversion.

Details can be found at http://doctribute.com/blog/

There is also a step by step description how to test stylesheets on a sample DocBook v4 book.

As you can see, I've changed my mind and instead of patching dbcontext project I created a new one. It finally took more time than originally estimated.

If you encounter any misleading info or inclarity, let me know.

Thanks, Jan

@ 2016-04-13  4:24         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2016-04-13  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2016-04-13 um 02:12 schrieb Jan Tosovsky <j.tosovsky@email.cz>:

> As promised, I've published a set of XSLT stylesheets for DocBook to ConTeXt conversion.
> Details can be found at http://doctribute.com/blog/

Thank you very much. I wikified it: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/DocBook

I found also your other blog postings very interesting, since I work with InDesign a lot and used or at least tried to work with other typesetting/layout systems (LinoSetting, 3B2, QuarkXPress, Ventura P., Scribus et al.).
(ConTeXt works mostly in the background, as long as updates don’t break compatibility…)

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net