From: Michael Green <merely.ridiculous@gmail.com>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: pdfs with boxes instead of letters
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:07:54 -0700	[thread overview]

On Oct 30, 2009, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:

> > I seem to have spoken too soon. The very next document I prepared
> > had the same boxes-rather-than-letters problem.
> >
> > That said, I cleared the font caches again and, after restarting,
> > the document looked correct. Perhaps this is a coincidence. Or
> > perhaps there is something amiss with the way my computers are
> > caching fonts. Sigh.
>
> Well, if your engine is pdftex (from an unpatched TeXLive 2008) then
> chances are you're running into the nasty (TM) font cache bug:
>
> http://www.tug.org/mactex/fontcache/
>
> Oliver

The symptoms seem right: strange, unpredictable display problems with
Apple's pdf software but not Adobe's. And it's not just pdftex,
apparently. They say that luatex is affected too. That's primarily
what I use. So we have both known symptoms (sort of - they're vague)
and an allegedly known cause. Perhaps we have a diagnosis.

Here is Dick Koch, "A Fix for the Corrupt Font Cache Bug"

http://www.tug.org/mactex/fontcache/Font-Cache-Bugfix.pdf

> The “corrupt font cache bug” on OS X has been traced by Melissa
> O’Neill to a bug in  pdftex, present in that program since 2004.
> The incorrect code is also used in other  programs, notably dvips,
> luatex, and metapost.  …
>
> The code containing the pdftex bug was used with little change in
> modern versions of  dvips, so fixing the bug in dvips was not
> difficult. However, it wasn’t so easy to find the  corresponding
> code in luatex and metapost. Instead of waiting for decisive fixes
> in these  programs, we decided to just release the fixed pdftex and
> dvips. This should fix the bug  for most users. Notice that pdftex
> is used when typesetting in “pdftex” mode and dvips  is used when
> typesetting in “TeX and DVI” mode. XeTeX does not have the bug.

And in another document, "Looking over the Debugger’s Shoulders ",
Koch summarizes what they discovered this way:

http://www.tug.org/mactex/fontcache/Debugging.pdf

> Two bugs contributed to the problem. First, pdftex, dvips, luatex,
> and metapost were  not correctly subsetting certain fonts. And
> second, a large number of fonts contained  subroutines which did not
> conclude with a RETURN command. Many of these were  created with the
> utility mmpfb, which has been patched.

Question: is this still a problem for luatex 0.44? (Please say no).

If not, perhaps I should clean my caches and use only MkII/XeTeX.

Even then, I gather that old documents created with luatex will still
be little time bombs (see Appendix, below). I guess I have to delete
all pdfs made by luatex and regenerate them as needed. That's a lot of
documents.

"Nasty" is right. Oy.

mjg

Appendix: Koch's explanation of why the font cache might become
corrupt seemingly for no reason at all.