* xrightarrow specific size issue
@ 2020-12-31 19:34 Johann Birnick
From: Johann Birnick @ 2020-12-31 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi there,

\starttext
$\xrightarrow[50pt]$
\stoptext

doesn't work. But it should, right? In the manual

\starttext
$\xrightarrow[50]$
\stoptext

is shown, but that doesn't work either.

Best regards,
Johann

* Re: xrightarrow specific size issue
@ 2021-01-01  6:50 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2021-01-01  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020, Johann Birnick wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> \starttext
> $\xrightarrow[50pt]$
> \stoptext
>
> doesn't work. But it should, right? In the manual
>
> \starttext
> $\xrightarrow[50]$
> \stoptext
>
> is shown, but that doesn't work either.

The syntax is:

\xrightarrow{top}

or

\xrightarrow{top}{bottom}

Aditya

* Re: xrightarrow specific size issue
@ 2021-01-01 14:25   ` Johann Birnick
From: Johann Birnick @ 2021-01-01 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Aditya,

I know the syntax, my problem is about the options for the length of the arrow.

For example

\xrightarrow[big]{abc}

gives a longer arrow than

\xrightarrow{abc}

According to different manuals also specific lengths should be possible. But
they don't work. I think it's a bug. (because the example from a documentation
doesn't work)

Best regards,
Johann

@ 2021-01-02 14:30     ` Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2021-01-02 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> On 1 Jan 2021, at 14:25, Johann Birnick <johann.birnick@hotmail.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Aditya,
>
> I know the syntax, my problem is about the options for the length of the arrow.
>
> For example
>
> \xrightarrow[big]{abc}
>
> gives a longer arrow than
>
> \xrightarrow{abc}
>
> According to different manuals also specific lengths should be possible. But
> they don't work. I think it's a bug. (because the example from a documentation
> doesn't work)
>
> Best regards,
> Johann

I'm not sure which manual you are looking in to find a reference to the ability to add a specific dimension.

In the source I can only find named sizes of 'none', 'normal', 'small', 'medium' and 'big'. You can 'kludge' these by extending the length of the text using hard spaces. Alternatively there is \rightarrowfill which you might be able to put into a frame of the desired width?

\starttext
$1\xrightarrow[none]{blah} 1$
\par
$2\xrightarrow[normal]{blah} 2$
\par
$3\xrightarrow[small]{blah} 3$
\par
$4\xrightarrow[medium]{blah} 4$
\par
$5\xrightarrow{~~~~~~~blah~~~~~~~} 5$
\par
$6\xrightarrow[big]{blah} 6$
\par
$7\rightarrowfill 7$
\par
\stoptext

--
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* Re: xrightarrow specific size issue
@ 2021-01-02 16:04       ` Johann Birnick
From: Johann Birnick @ 2021-01-02 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, 2021-01-02 at 14:30 +0000, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> I'm not sure which manual you are looking in to find a reference to the
> ability to add a specific dimension.
>
> In the source I can only find named sizes of 'none', 'normal', 'small',
> 'medium' and 'big'. You can 'kludge' these by extending the length of the text
> using hard spaces. Alternatively there is \rightarrowfill which you might be
> able to put into a frame of the desired width?
>
> \starttext
> $1\xrightarrow[none]{blah} 1$
> \par
> $2\xrightarrow[normal]{blah} 2$
> \par
> $3\xrightarrow[small]{blah} 3$
> \par
> $4\xrightarrow[medium]{blah} 4$
> \par
> $5\xrightarrow{~~~~~~~blah~~~~~~~} 5$
> \par
> $6\xrightarrow[big]{blah} 6$
> \par
> $7\rightarrowfill 7$
> \par
> \stoptext
>
> --
> Bruce Horrocks
> Hampshire, UK

In particular the documentation
https://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/matharrows.pdf shows exactly the example

\xrightarrow[50]

and the says the options are:

none small medium big normal DIMENSION

I'm sure I've seen the same options (i.e. including DIMENSION) in other
documentations aswell, but I can't find them now.

I assume this was removed with LMTX... is it possible to introduce it again?

My problem is not to make the arrow bigger, I actually want to make it smaller.
I have 2 long words above it, and so it's really long. I could use \clap{}, but
then the spacing is gone and my 2 words clash with the text left and right of
the arrow. So I want a small arrow with long text above it, but the spacing
should be oriented on the text.

Best, Johann

* Re: xrightarrow specific size issue
@ 2021-01-02 16:08         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2021-01-02 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johann Birnick schrieb am 02.01.2021 um 17:04:
> On Sat, 2021-01-02 at 14:30 +0000, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>> I'm not sure which manual you are looking in to find a reference to the
>> ability to add a specific dimension.
>>
>> In the source I can only find named sizes of 'none', 'normal', 'small',
>> 'medium' and 'big'. You can 'kludge' these by extending the length of the text
>> using hard spaces. Alternatively there is \rightarrowfill which you might be
>> able to put into a frame of the desired width?
>>
>> \starttext
>> $1\xrightarrow[none]{blah} 1$
>> \par
>> $2\xrightarrow[normal]{blah} 2$
>> \par
>> $3\xrightarrow[small]{blah} 3$
>> \par
>> $4\xrightarrow[medium]{blah} 4$
>> \par
>> $5\xrightarrow{~~~~~~~blah~~~~~~~} 5$
>> \par
>> $6\xrightarrow[big]{blah} 6$
>> \par
>> $7\rightarrowfill 7$
>> \par
>> \stoptext
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Horrocks
>> Hampshire, UK
> In particular the documentation
> https://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/matharrows.pdf shows exactly the example
>
> \xrightarrow[50]
>
> and the says the options are:
>
> none small medium big normal DIMENSION
>
> I'm sure I've seen the same options (i.e. including DIMENSION) in other
> documentations aswell, but I can't find them now.
>
> I assume this was removed with LMTX... is it possible to introduce it again?

No, the change already happened in MkIV when Hans rewrote the arrows code.

Wolfgang

* Re: xrightarrow specific size issue
@ 2021-01-02 16:39           ` Johann Birnick
From: Johann Birnick @ 2021-01-02 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Schuster, ntg-context

On Sat, 2021-01-02 at 17:08 +0100, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Johann Birnick schrieb am 02.01.2021 um 17:04:
> > On Sat, 2021-01-02 at 14:30 +0000, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> > > I'm not sure which manual you are looking in to find a reference to the
> > > ability to add a specific dimension.
> > >
> > > In the source I can only find named sizes of 'none', 'normal', 'small',
> > > 'medium' and 'big'. You can 'kludge' these by extending the length of the
> > > text
> > > using hard spaces. Alternatively there is \rightarrowfill which you might
> > > be
> > > able to put into a frame of the desired width?
> > >
> > > \starttext
> > > $1\xrightarrow[none]{blah} 1$
> > > \par
> > > $2\xrightarrow[normal]{blah} 2$
> > > \par
> > > $3\xrightarrow[small]{blah} 3$
> > > \par
> > > $4\xrightarrow[medium]{blah} 4$
> > > \par
> > > $5\xrightarrow{~~~~~~~blah~~~~~~~} 5$
> > > \par
> > > $6\xrightarrow[big]{blah} 6$
> > > \par
> > > $7\rightarrowfill 7$
> > > \par
> > > \stoptext
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bruce Horrocks
> > > Hampshire, UK
> > In particular the documentation
> > https://dl.contextgarden.net/myway/matharrows.pdf shows exactly the example
> >
> > \xrightarrow[50]
> >
> > and the says the options are:
> >
> > none small medium big normal DIMENSION
> >
> > I'm sure I've seen the same options (i.e. including DIMENSION) in other
> > documentations aswell, but I can't find them now.
> >
> > I assume this was removed with LMTX... is it possible to introduce it again?
>
> No, the change already happened in MkIV when Hans rewrote the arrows code.
>
> Wolfgang

And it's not planned to make specific sizes possible?

Johann