* OpenType in Windows
       [not found] <mailman.1.1175680802.12474.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2007-04-04 22:08 ` Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky
From: Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky @ 2007-04-04 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context-request@ntg.nl

Hello,

I heard that Mac users can typeset in ConTeXt with OpenType fonts. Is
it possible on Windows platform? (either in MiKTeX or TeXLive?)

Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky

* Re: OpenType in Windows
@ 2007-04-05  0:06   ` George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2007-04-05  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/4/07, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky <yatskovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard that Mac users can typeset in ConTeXt with OpenType fonts. Is
> it possible on Windows platform? (either in MiKTeX or TeXLive?)

This uses xetex.  It works for sure if you count running the linux
version of TeX Live 2007 in a virtual machine, and very likely will
work in native Win32, but I haven't tried it.   Note that maths still
uses the conventional math fonts (e.g., Type 1).

--
George N. White III <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

* Re: OpenType in Windows
@ 2007-04-05 10:18   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-04-05 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/5/07, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I heard that Mac users can typeset in ConTeXt with OpenType fonts. Is
> it possible on Windows platform? (either in MiKTeX or TeXLive?)

The easiest way to use OpenType fonts is to use XeTeX (luaTeX will
support them as well, but you would need to wait a bit before it comes
out). You can also use pdfTeX, but it's a bit painful to set up
everything properly.

TeXLive 2007 includes XeTeX, MikTeX will include it in version 2.7
(currently it's still at version 2.5 and 2.6 beta), so TeXLive (or
standalone ConTeXt with some additional settings) is currently the
best choice.

See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_XeTeX (but please note that
some high-level interface is currently broken if you install the
latest ConTeXt; the version from TeXLive should be OK).

You can use any font in the texmf tree or any font installed on the
system. You might need to run fc-cache (and perhaps edit font.conf).

Mojca

* ConTeXt, XeTeX, ect was Re:  OpenType in Windows
@ 2007-04-05 11:14     ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-04-05 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm a bit confused. Still can't have a clear frame of -TeX stuff.
What does this exactly mean (from wikipedia)?
XeTeX works well with both LaTeX and ConTeXt.

Many thanks
Best

-a-

On 5 Apr 2007, at 12:18, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On 4/5/07, Vyatcheslav Yatskovsky wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I heard that Mac users can typeset in ConTeXt with OpenType fonts. Is
>> it possible on Windows platform? (either in MiKTeX or TeXLive?)
>
> The easiest way to use OpenType fonts is to use XeTeX (luaTeX will
> support them as well, but you would need to wait a bit before it comes
> out). You can also use pdfTeX, but it's a bit painful to set up
> everything properly.
>
> TeXLive 2007 includes XeTeX, MikTeX will include it in version 2.7
> (currently it's still at version 2.5 and 2.6 beta), so TeXLive (or
> standalone ConTeXt with some additional settings) is currently the
> best choice.
>
> See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Fonts_in_XeTeX (but please note that
> some high-level interface is currently broken if you install the
> latest ConTeXt; the version from TeXLive should be OK).
>
> You can use any font in the texmf tree or any font installed on the
> system. You might need to run fc-cache (and perhaps edit font.conf).
>
> Mojca

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

* Re: ConTeXt, XeTeX, ect was Re: OpenType in Windows
@ 2007-04-05 12:49       ` George N. White III
From: George N. White III @ 2007-04-05 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/5/07, Andrea Valle <valle@di.unito.it> wrote:

> I'm a bit confused. Still can't have a clear frame of -TeX stuff.
>
> What does this exactly mean (from wikipedia)?
>

> XeTeX works well with both LaTeX and ConTeXt.

In the beginning there was tex, a program.  I know people who create
documents using low-level tex markup, but most people rely on a macro
package to define high-level markup. In the early days, tex was often
used with a simple macro package called "plain".  Then, for people
with nice minicomputers, Lamport wrote a macro package called LaTeX,
which was used with the same tex program and remains popular today.
ConTeXt includes yet another
macro package, but is really a system with lots of useful tools.

Along with the tex program, there was a system to create fonts, but
meanwhile other font fomats have become widely adopted, and people
have found ways to use these commercial
fonts and formats with tex, but for the most part, fonts used with tex
are separate from the system fonts and configuring a new font for use
with tex is not a simple process.

These days people rarely use the (current version of) the original tex
program because we have pdftex, which can be used to format documents
using the plain or latex or context macros to create .pdf directly as
well as .dvi files, and xetex, which can also be used with the same
list of macro packages to create .pdf or .xdv (replacement for .dvi).
The main advantage of xetex is that it supports system fonts directly.
 It is, however, new, so there could be glitches.

<http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=latex> has lots of
useful information

The xetex web site has examples and a FAQ.

--

@ 2007-04-05 13:23       ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-04-05 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What does this exactly mean (from wikipedia)?
> "XeTeX works well with both LaTeX and ConTeXt."

XeTeX, PDFTeX, eTeX, and TeX (Knuth's original TeX) are conceptually
at the same level.  The ConTeXt documents (and kpathsea) call this
level the engine.  They all understand basically the same macro
language, the one Knuth described in the _TeXBook_.

But they have slight differences.  For example, TeX produces DVI
output.  eTeX does too but it adds a few more commands ('primitives')
to the macro language.  PDFTeX produces PDF directly (or can produce
DVI) and has, relative to regular TeX, new macro commands to support
features of PDF; for example, \pdfpagewidth is new to PDFTeX.  Regular
TeX doesn't have an equivalent because the DVI format does not include
a notion of page size.  PDFTeX, from v1.40, also incorporates those
eTeX commands.  And XeTeX has commands to support OpenType, which is
the new standard font format.

LaTeX and ConTeXt are large programs ('macro packages') written on top
of the engine.  Namely, the program -- whether LaTeX or ConTeXt -- is
written in the macro language of the engine.  Most of the program is
independent of the engine, but there are a few changes needed; the
program usually detects which engine is being used underneath it and
adjusts what it does accordingly.

For LaTeX, you choose the engine by the name of the program you run:

* latex    -- uses regular TeX (actually, now it uses PDFTeX pretending
  to be regular TeX)
* pdflatex -- uses PDFTeX
* xelatex  -- uses XeTeX

For ConTeXt, you choose the engine by the '--engine' option to
texexec.  For example: "texexec --engine=pdftex file.tex" will make
you file.pdf.  But as the manual entry now says, you usually do not
need to specify the engine:

       --engine=texengine
              Specify the program to do the hard work of typesetting.
              Currently either pdftex (the default), xetex, or aleph.
              The luatex value is experimental.  The --engine option
              is not usually needed.  Instead, let texexec figure out
              the setting based on other command-line information.
              See for example the --xetex or --pdf switches.

So
* "texexec --xetex file.tex" : uses XeTeX
* "texexec --pdf file.tex"   : uses PDFTeX
* "texexec file.tex"         : also uses PDFTeX (the --pdf option is
                               now the default to texexec)

I hope this explanation clarifies.  If so, you can Wikify (on
wikipedia and/or the ConTeXt wiki)!

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

* Re: ConTeXt, XeTeX, ect was Re: OpenType in Windows
@ 2007-04-05 13:59         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2007-04-05 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/5/07, Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@mrao.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > What does this exactly mean (from wikipedia)?
> > "XeTeX works well with both LaTeX and ConTeXt."
>
> XeTeX, PDFTeX, eTeX, and TeX (Knuth's original TeX) are conceptually
> at the same level.  The ConTeXt documents (and kpathsea) call this
> level the engine.  They all understand basically the same macro
> language, the one Knuth described in the _TeXBook_.
>
> But they have slight differences.  For example, TeX produces DVI
> output.  eTeX does too but it adds a few more commands ('primitives')
> to the macro language.  PDFTeX produces PDF directly (or can produce
> DVI) and has, relative to regular TeX, new macro commands to support
> features of PDF; for example, \pdfpagewidth is new to PDFTeX.  Regular
> TeX doesn't have an equivalent because the DVI format does not include
> a notion of page size.  PDFTeX, from v1.40, also incorporates those
> eTeX commands.  And XeTeX has commands to support OpenType, which is
> the new standard font format.
>
> LaTeX and ConTeXt are large programs ('macro packages') written on top
> of the engine.  Namely, the program -- whether LaTeX or ConTeXt -- is
> written in the macro language of the engine.  Most of the program is
> independent of the engine, but there are a few changes needed; the
> program usually detects which engine is being used underneath it and
> adjusts what it does accordingly.
>
> For LaTeX, you choose the engine by the name of the program you run:
>
> * latex    -- uses regular TeX (actually, now it uses PDFTeX pretending
>   to be regular TeX)
> * pdflatex -- uses PDFTeX
> * xelatex  -- uses XeTeX
>
> For ConTeXt, you choose the engine by the '--engine' option to
> texexec.  For example: "texexec --engine=pdftex file.tex" will make
> you file.pdf.  But as the manual entry now says, you usually do not
> need to specify the engine:
>
>        --engine=texengine
>               Specify the program to do the hard work of typesetting.
>               Currently either pdftex (the default), xetex, or aleph.
>               The luatex value is experimental.  The --engine option
>               is not usually needed.  Instead, let texexec figure out
>               the setting based on other command-line information.
>               See for example the --xetex or --pdf switches.
>
> So
> * "texexec --xetex file.tex" : uses XeTeX
> * "texexec --pdf file.tex"   : uses PDFTeX
> * "texexec file.tex"         : also uses PDFTeX (the --pdf option is
>                                now the default to texexec)
>
> I hope this explanation clarifies.  If so, you can Wikify (on
> wikipedia and/or the ConTeXt wiki)!
>
> -Sanjoy
About  luatex: see it as a new entry in the list
XeTeX, PDFTeX, eTeX, and TeX
ie
luatex ,XeTeX, PDFTeX, eTeX, and TeX

luatex add a script language (lua) to tex .

Note that
PDFTeX> eTeX> TeX
(where 'A>B' means A include B)
and that
luatex > PDFTeX U Aleph.
There is a bit of confusion about luatex:
someone says "luatex will be pdftex2.0",
someother says "pdftex will be frozen to 1.5 and there will be luatex".
Given that I played with luatex, I prefer the second, or even
"luatex will be pdftex4.0"

luigi

luigi

* Re: ConTeXt, XeTeX, ect was Re: OpenType in Windows
@ 2007-04-05 15:12         ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-04-05 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)