* first page puzzle
@ 2005-11-11 13:08 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2005-11-11 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

The following code

	\setuphead[chapter][page=yes]
	\setuppagenumbering[location={header, middle},state=nomarking]
	\installpagebreakhandler{last}{}

	\definehead[Item][title]
	\setupsectionblock[Item][number=no,page=right]
	\setuphead[Item][after={\blank[2*big]},alternative=middle,style={\tfa
\rm}]

	\setuphead[Item][header=high,footer={}]
	\setupheadertexts[text]
		[{\sc\ItemTitle}]
		[\pagenumber]
		[\pagenumber]
		[{\it xxxxx}]

produces no header or footer on the first page, just as I want, in a
multi-page document. What I am not seeing is why the same code
produces a header (“ItemTitle....pagenumber”) when the document is
only one page in length.

I realize that I can insert \setupheader[state=high] in the source
file of my single-page documents to get what I want, but that would
still leave me puzzled.

Any suggestions/explanations would be much appreciated.

Alan

* Re: first page puzzle
@ 2005-11-11 15:47 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-11-11 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Bowen wrote:

> The following code
>
>     \setuphead[chapter][page=yes]
>     \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>     \setuppagenumbering[location={header, middle},state=nomarking]
>     \installpagebreakhandler{last}{}
>
>     \definehead[Item][title]
>     \setupsectionblock[Item][number=no,page=right]
>     \setuphead[Item][after={\blank[2*big]},alternative=middle,style={\tfa
> \rm}]
>
>     \setuphead[Item][header=high,footer={}]
>     \setupheadertexts[text]
>         [{\sc\ItemTitle}]
>         [\pagenumber]
>         [\pagenumber]
>         [{\it xxxxx}]
>
> produces no header or footer on the first page, just as I want, in a
> multi-page document. What I am not seeing is why the same code
> produces a header (�ItemTitle....pagenumber�) when the document is
> only one page in length.
>
> I realize that I can insert \setupheader[state=high] in the source
> file of my single-page documents to get what I want, but that would
> still leave me puzzled.
>
> Any suggestions/explanations would be much appreciated.

this is related to tex's way of breaking pages; when settings change
while tex has not yet broken a page, they get lost

  bla bla (not enough for a page)

  \setupheadertexts[x]

  bla bla

versus:

  bla bla (not enough for a page)

  \page \setupheadertexts[x]

  bla bla

i try as good as i can to handle this but esp in border cases a user has
to force a break before such settings that affect the 'current' of
'next' page; it's just a matter of where/when (settings are expanded.
not delayed)

here the problem is in:

    \installpagebreakhandler{last}{}

if you change this to issue a (one) page break, it will probably work ok

Hans

* Re: first page puzzle
@ 2005-11-11 21:16   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2005-11-11 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Hans. That is very helpful. I will do some experimenting with
\installpagebreakhandler.

Best, Alan