* Table of Contents issues
@ 2011-02-12 17:12 Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-02-12 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Using a very recent download of TexLive 2010 (MKII) on my PC, my success
generating a useful table of contents has been somewhat limited.

I can't figure out how to put the title, "Contents," in the font I desire.
The various parameters I found in the documentation affect the chapter
titles and the page numbers but nothing I've found allows me to control the
title of the ToC. What am I overlooking?

I would also like for the unnumbered "chapter" titles, such as introduction
or preface, to align with the other chapter titles, not with their numbers.
Aligntitle seems to have no effect on anything from what I have seen.

\definehead [intro][chapter]
\setuphead  [intro][number=no,textstyle=\ss\bf]
\setuphead  [chapter][textstyle=\ss\bf,numberstyle=\ss\bf]
\definecombinedlist [content][intro,chapter,section]
\setupcombinedlist[content][style=\ss\bf,textstyle=\ss\bf,pagestyle=\ss\bf,n
umberstyle=\ss\bf,aligntitle=yes]
\setuplist [intro][headnumber=no]

\starttext
\completecontent
\intro{Introduction}
\input knuth
\chapter{First chapter}
\input knuth
\chapter{Second Chapter}
\input Knuth
\stoptext

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

* Re: Table of Contents issues
@ 2011-02-12 18:55 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-02-12 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.02.2011 um 18:12 schrieb Tom:

> Using a very recent download of TexLive 2010 (MKII) on my PC, my success
> generating a useful table of contents has been somewhat limited.
>
> I can't figure out how to put the title, "Contents," in the font I desire.
> The various parameters I found in the documentation affect the chapter
> titles and the page numbers but nothing I've found allows me to control the
> title of the ToC. What am I overlooking?
>
> I would also like for the unnumbered "chapter" titles, such as introduction
> or preface, to align with the other chapter titles, not with their numbers.
> Aligntitle seems to have no effect on anything from what I have seen.

\setuphead[chapter][style=sansbold]

\definehead[intro][chapter]
\setuphead [intro][number=no]

\definecombinedlist[content][intro,chapter,section]
\setupcombinedlist [content][style=sansbold]

\starttext
\completecontent
\intro{Introduction}
\input knuth
\chapter{First chapter}
\input knuth
\chapter{Second Chapter}
\input knuth
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Table of Contents issues
@ 2011-02-12 20:29   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-02-12 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

This works. Now I want to make the chapter titles larger but my experiments
using style have failed. There must be a different way to do this. If I
understand bodyfont correctly, it is used for the text of the document, not
for the titles. In my case, the body is in a serif font and the titles are
sanserif.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

> Using a very recent download of TexLive 2010 (MKII) on my PC, my success
> generating a useful table of contents has been somewhat limited.
>
> I can't figure out how to put the title, "Contents," in the font I desire.
> The various parameters I found in the documentation affect the chapter
> titles and the page numbers but nothing I've found allows me to control
the
> title of the ToC. What am I overlooking?
>
> I would also like for the unnumbered "chapter" titles, such as
introduction
> or preface, to align with the other chapter titles, not with their
numbers.
> Aligntitle seems to have no effect on anything from what I have seen.

\setuphead[chapter][style=sansbold]

\definehead[intro][chapter]
\setuphead [intro][number=no]

\definecombinedlist[content][intro,chapter,section]
\setupcombinedlist [content][style=sansbold]

\starttext
\completecontent
\intro{Introduction}
\input knuth
\chapter{First chapter}
\input knuth
\chapter{Second Chapter}
\input knuth
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Using fonts from multiple families
@ 2011-02-13  3:38   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-02-13  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

\usetypescriptfile[type-one]
\usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
TexLive 2010 MKII on a PC

I'm completely flummoxed as how to use fonts from different families.
Follows is an attempt to use Pallatino (rm) for the text of a book,
Iwono-heavy for chapter titles (sansbold), Iwona-light (sans) for page
headers (intended but not implemented), and Chancery (cg) for the
dedication. The only font that appears to come out right are the chapter
titles and I can't change their size without changing the size of the text
font. I apparently haven't found the right manual yet or am too stupid to
understand what must be a relatively simple concept.

\starttypescript [BookFont][texnansi,ec,qx,t5,default]

\definetypeface[BookFont][rm][serif][pallatino][default] %text body
\definetypeface[BookFont][ss][sans][iwona-light][default] %page headers
\definetypeface[BookFont][ss][sansbold][iwona-heavy][default] %chapters
\definetypeface[BookFont][tt][type][postscript][default] %embedded code
\definetypeface[BookFont][cg][calligraphic][chancery][default] %dedic.
\definetypeface[BookFont][mm][math][pallatino][default] %math

\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[BookFont][ec]
\setupbodyfont[BookFont,12pt]
\switchtobodyfont[serif]

\setuphead  [chapter][style=sansbold, alternative=middle]

\definehead [intro][chapter]
\setuphead  [intro][number=no]
\definecombinedlist [content][intro,chapter,section]
\setuphead[chapter][style=sansbold]

\starttext
{\cg Dedication}
\page

\completecontent
\intro{Introduction - Ag}
\input knuth
\chapter{First chapter - Ag}
\input knuth
\chapter{Second Chapter - Ag}
\input Knuth
\stoptext

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

@ 2011-02-13  9:19     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-02-13  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.02.2011 um 21:29 schrieb Tom:

> This works. Now I want to make the chapter titles larger but my experiments
> using style have failed. There must be a different way to do this. If I
> understand bodyfont correctly, it is used for the text of the document, not
> for the titles. In my case, the body is in a serif font and the titles are
> sanserif.

\setuphead[chapter][style=\ss\bfa]

or

\definefont[ChapterStyle][SansBold sa 1.2]

\setuphead[chapter][style=ChapterStyle]

Wolfgang

* Re: Using fonts from multiple families
@ 2011-02-13  9:59     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-02-13  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.02.2011 um 04:38 schrieb Tom:

> \usetypescriptfile[type-one]
> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> TexLive 2010 MKII on a PC
>
> I'm completely flummoxed as how to use fonts from different families.
> Follows is an attempt to use Pallatino (rm) for the text of a book,
> Iwono-heavy for chapter titles (sansbold), Iwona-light (sans) for page
> headers (intended but not implemented), and Chancery (cg) for the
> dedication. The only font that appears to come out right are the chapter
> titles and I can't change their size without changing the size of the text
> font. I apparently haven't found the right manual yet or am too stupid to
> understand what must be a relatively simple concept.

You can define multiple typefaces.

% engine=pdftex

% fonts

\definetypeface [mainface] [rm] [serif] [palatino]    [default]
\definetypeface [mainface] [ss] [sans]  [iwona-heavy] [default]
\definetypeface [mainface] [tt] [mono]  [modern]      [default]
\definetypeface [mainface] [mm] [math]  [palatino]    [default]

\definetypeface [pagenumber] [ss] [sans] [iwona-light] [default]

\definetypeface [dedication] [rm] [serif] [chancery] [default]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

% headings

\definehead [intro]     [chapter]
\definehead [dedication][chapter]

\setuphead[chapter][style=\ss\bfa,alternative=middle]
\setuphead[intro][number=no]
\setuphead[dedication][number=no,style={\switchtobodyfont[dedication,16pt]}]

\definecombinedlist [content][intro,chapter,section]

% pagenumbers

\setuppagenumbering[style={\switchtobodyfont[pagenumber]}]

\starttext
\dedication{Dedication}

@ 2011-02-13 13:23       ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-02-13 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you very much, Wolfgang. The time zone difference is helpful
sometimes. I went to bed last night very frustrated and woke up this morning
to find your solution in my inbox. It is also good to see that your
assistance to me has also helped someone else. I do have a couple of
questions:

1. Why aren't the \usetypescriptfile commands necessary?
2. It never occurred to me to consider the dedication as a separate chapter.
Logically, it is but is the inverse of other chapters, sort of, in that the
chapter title isn't normally displayed and the body of the chapter is
printed in a different font than are the other chapters.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

@ 2011-02-13 13:36         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-02-13 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.02.2011 um 14:23 schrieb Tom:

> Thank you very much, Wolfgang. The time zone difference is helpful
> sometimes. I went to bed last night very frustrated and woke up this morning
> to find your solution in my inbox. It is also good to see that your
> assistance to me has also helped someone else. I do have a couple of
> questions:
>
> 1. Why aren't the \usetypescriptfile commands necessary?

ConTeXt already load there files to let you use the palatino etc. fonts

> 2. It never occurred to me to consider the dedication as a separate chapter.
> Logically, it is but is the inverse of other chapters, sort of, in that the
> chapter title isn't normally displayed and the body of the chapter is
> printed in a different font than are the other chapters.

Add this to my example:

\definestartstop[dedication][style={\switchtobodyfont[dedication]}]

You can now write in your document

\dedication{...}

and

\startdedeication
\stopdedication

@ 2011-02-13 14:39           ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-02-13 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

This should be my last question on this topic. I want to center the
dedication but align=middle (or center) and alternative=middle added to
\definestartstop[dedication] seem to have no effect. I can't seem to find a
simple way to center an odd line of paragraph of text. Using a frame seems
like using a sledgehammer to pound a tack.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

@ 2011-02-13 14:55             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-02-13 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.02.2011 um 15:39 schrieb Tom:

> This should be my last question on this topic. I want to center the
> dedication but align=middle (or center) and alternative=middle added to
> \definestartstop[dedication] seem to have no effect. I can't seem to find a
> simple way to center an odd line of paragraph of text. Using a frame seems
> like using a sledgehammer to pound a tack.

Why not?

\defineframedtext
  [dedication]
  [frame=off,
   align=middle,
   style={\switchtobodyfont[dedication]},
   width=\textwidth]

You can also \setupalign to \definestartstop:

\definestartstop
  [dedication]
  [style={\switchtobodyfont[dedication]},
   commands={\setupalign[middle]}]

Another option for MkIV (only) is the annotation module:

\defineannotation
  [dedication]
  [style={\switchtobodyfont[dedication]},
   align=middle]

Wolfgang

* Getting paragraphs to indent
@ 2011-02-13 20:40       ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-02-13 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

My intention is to indent all paragraphs that do not follow whitespace.
However, my code isn't making that happen. What am I doing wrong?

(TexLive 2010 MKII on PC)

\setupcolors[state=start]
\definecolor [gray] [s=0.75]

%\usetypescriptfile[type-one]
%\usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]

\definetypeface [mainface] [rm] [serif] [palatino]    [default]
\definetypeface [mainface] [ss] [sans]  [iwona-heavy] [default]
\definetypeface [mainface] [tt] [mono]  [modern]      [default]
\definetypeface [mainface] [mm] [math]  [palatino]    [default]

\definetypeface [pagenumber] [ss] [sans] [iwona-light] [default]

\definetypeface [dedication] [rm] [serif] [chancery] [default]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

% headings

\definestartstop[dedication][style={\switchtobodyfont[dedication,20pt]}]
\definehead [intro]     [chapter]
\definehead [dedication][chapter]

\setuphead[chapter][style=\ss\bfd,alternative=middle]
\setuphead[intro][number=no]
\setuphead[dedication][incrementnumber=no]

\definecombinedlist [content][intro,chapter,section]

% pagenumbers

\setuppagenumbering
    [state=start,alternative=doublesided,conversion=numbers,location=]
\setupheadertexts
 [chapter][pagenumber][pagenumber][My Book Title]
\setupheader[style={\switchtobodyfont[pagenumber,20pt]\sl},color=gray]

%turn on indentation
\setupindenting[medium]
\indenting[next]

\starttext
\dedication{}
\startdedication
To someone who inspired or supported me. Let's see how this works for
dedications that span multiple lines.
\stopdedication
\completecontent
\intro{Introduction - Ag}
\input knuth
\chapter{First chapter - Ag}
\input knuth
\input knuth
\input knuth
\input knuth
\input knuth
\chapter{Second Chapter - Ag}
\input knuth
\stoptext

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

> I'm completely flummoxed as how to use fonts from different families.
> Follows is an attempt to use Pallatino (rm) for the text of a book,
> Iwono-heavy for chapter titles (sansbold), Iwona-light (sans) for page
> headers (intended but not implemented), and Chancery (cg) for the
> dedication. The only font that appears to come out right are the chapter
> titles and I can't change their size without changing the size of the text
> font. I apparently haven't found the right manual yet or am too stupid to
> understand what must be a relatively simple concept.

You can define multiple typefaces.

% engine=pdftex

% fonts

\definetypeface [mainface] [rm] [serif] [palatino]    [default]
\definetypeface [mainface] [ss] [sans]  [iwona-heavy] [default]
\definetypeface [mainface] [tt] [mono]  [modern]      [default]
\definetypeface [mainface] [mm] [math]  [palatino]    [default]

\definetypeface [pagenumber] [ss] [sans] [iwona-light] [default]

\definetypeface [dedication] [rm] [serif] [chancery] [default]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

% headings

\definehead [intro]     [chapter]
\definehead [dedication][chapter]

\setuphead[chapter][style=\ss\bfa,alternative=middle]
\setuphead[intro][number=no]
\setuphead[dedication][number=no,style={\switchtobodyfont[dedication,16pt]}]

\definecombinedlist [content][intro,chapter,section]

% pagenumbers

\setuppagenumbering[style={\switchtobodyfont[pagenumber]}]

\starttext
\dedication{Dedication}
\completecontent
\intro{Introduction - Ag}
\input knuth
\chapter{First chapter - Ag}
\input knuth
\chapter{Second Chapter - Ag}
\input knuth
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Getting paragraphs to indent
@ 2011-02-13 20:58         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-02-13 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.02.2011 um 21:40 schrieb Tom:

> My intention is to indent all paragraphs that do not follow whitespace.
> However, my code isn't making that happen. What am I doing wrong?
>
> \definestartstop[dedication][style={\switchtobodyfont[dedication,20pt]}]
> \definehead [dedication][chapter]

Don’t define two commands with the same name, \definestartstop[dedication]
was meant as alternative to \definehead[dedication]. To force a page break
you can add “before=\page“ to \definestartstop.

> \setupindenting[medium]
> \indenting[next]

Enable indenting, \indenting is just a synonym for \setupindenting but
use the \setup-command.

\setupindenting[yes,medium,next]

> \dedication{}

???

@ 2011-02-13 21:55           ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-02-13 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Those things worked. Now I'm trying to figure out which fonts are standard
with TexLive MKII. So far, I've identified the following:

modern
palatino
modernvariable
postscript includes Times Roman, Helvetica and Courier
antykwa-torunska referred to as just antykwa
fourier
bookman
optima
iwona
iwona-light
iwona-heavy
chancery

Have I missed any?

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

> My intention is to indent all paragraphs that do not follow whitespace.
> However, my code isn't making that happen. What am I doing wrong?
>
> \definestartstop[dedication][style={\switchtobodyfont[dedication,20pt]}]
> \definehead [dedication][chapter]

Don't define two commands with the same name, \definestartstop[dedication]
was meant as alternative to \definehead[dedication]. To force a page break
you can add "before=\page" to \definestartstop.

> \setupindenting[medium]
> \indenting[next]

Enable indenting, \indenting is just a synonym for \setupindenting but
use the \setup-command.

\setupindenting[yes,medium,next]

> \dedication{}

???

Wolfgang

* Re: Stretching chapter titles - MKII
@ 2011-02-16 14:06           ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-02-16 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to execute MKIV by typing in context hello.tex and got an error
message. Apparently something else needs to be installed.

MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

What major changes to my documents will I likely need to make to shift to
MKIV?

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

From: Cedric Mauclair @ 2011-02-16 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 15:06, Tom <Tom@tuxedo-press.com> wrote:
> I tried to execute MKIV by typing in context hello.tex and got an error
> message. Apparently something else needs to be installed.
>
> MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

Seems like there are some TEXMF... defined. Try to unset them (in bash
'unset TEXMFLOCAL' for example). Well, this solved the same issue the
other day.

-- Cédric

@ 2011-02-16 14:52               ` John McGarrachan
From: John McGarrachan @ 2011-02-16 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

remember to setuptex first, all other necessary steps are listed in
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Running_Mark_IV

@ 2011-02-16 15:20             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-02-16 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Tom wrote:

> I tried to execute MKIV by typing in context hello.tex and got an error
> message. Apparently something else needs to be installed.
>
> MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

Run mtxrun --generate

> What major changes to my documents will I likely need to make to shift to
> MKIV?

- Font loading. Overall font loading is simpler, but you might need to
adapt your typescripts (on occasions I have had to define \sc in terms of
\addfontfeature, but I haven't checked if that is still needed).

- Regimes: MkIV assumes UTF-8.

- Headings: the setups for chapter and section stoppers and referencing
has changed. You have much more flexibility now, but need to adapt your
style files accordingly.

- Metapost: It is no longer possible to change the color of a label in
metapost. (You can set it up at TeX level, so this is not a
limitation...you just need to change the label commands).

Aditya

* Re: Table of Contents issues
@ 2011-02-13  7:02 Jeong Dalyoung
From: Jeong Dalyoung @ 2011-02-13  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Tom,

I had the similar problem.

You may consider Andrea's and Wolfgang's suggestion in ntg-context Digest mail, Vol 80, issue 24, 25.

"chapter head and placelist"

Enjoy ConTeXt.

best regards,

Dalyoung