* combiation trickery again now with attachement - sorry
@ 2010-02-16 18:40 Bernhard Rosensteiner
From: Bernhard Rosensteiner @ 2010-02-16 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

in the attachment is an example file which describes best what i want do. The method with \offset and \clip to place the figures where i want is really brutal force i think.  Especially fiddling around with dimension to get the "right fit“ is tedious. Is there a better solution to do such a start/stopcombination?
Floatplacing is also influenced by the offset command but i compensated this with *hang - nevertheless all in all i think no good solution. Please help.

best regards
Bernhard

[-- Attachment #2: floatcombiantion.tex --]

\setuptolerance[verytolerant, stretch]
\setupalign[hz, hanging]
\definefloat[subfigure][subfigures]

\setupfloat[figure][]
\setupfloat[tableleft][]

\setupcaption[figure][width=max, align={hz, hanging}, style=sstf]

\setupcaption[subfigure][way=bypage, location=top, width=max, align={hz, hanging}, inbetween={\blank[1*small]}, style={\smallbodyfont\sstf}, numberconversionset=characters, numberstopper={)}, prefixsegments=4:100]

\starttext

\input tufte

\placefigure[left, force, -13*line]{Maincaption}
{\startcombination[2*2]
{\offset[y=12.24\baselineskip]{\clip[height=22.24\baselineskip, width=5cm, hoffset=5cm]{\externalfigure[Abax_parallelepipedus] [height=18cm]}}}
{\offset[y=12.24\baselineskip]{caption 1}}
{\clip[width=5cm, height=10\baselineskip]{\externalfigure[Amara_aenea][height=11\baselineskip]}}{caption 2}
{}{}
{\clip[width=5cm, height=10\baselineskip]{\externalfigure[Andrena_flavipes][height=\figureheight]}}{caption 3}
\stopcombination}

\input tufte

\stoptext

* Re: combiation trickery again now with attachement - sorry
@ 2010-02-16 20:12 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2010-02-16 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.02.2010 19:40, schrieb Bernhard Rosensteiner:
> Hi,
>
> in the attachment is an example file which describes best what i want do. The method with \offset and \clip to place the figures where i want is really brutal force i think.  Especially fiddling around with dimension to get the "right fit“ is tedious. Is there a better solution to do such a start/stopcombination?
> Floatplacing is also influenced by the offset command but i compensated this with *hang - nevertheless all in all i think no good solution. Please help.

Hi Bernhard,

that was fun. :)

Best wishes,  Peter

[-- Attachment #2: floatcombiantion.tex --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1650 bytes --]

\setuptolerance[verytolerant, stretch]
\setupalign[hz, hanging]
\definefloat[subfigure][subfigures]

\setupfloat[figure][]
\setupfloat[tableleft][]

\setupcaption[figure][width=max, align={hz, hanging}, style=sstf]

\setupcaption[subfigure][way=bypage, location=top, width=max, align={hz, hanging}, inbetween={\blank[1*small]}, style={\smallbodyfont\sstf}, numberconversionset=characters, numberstopper={)}, prefixsegments=4:100]

\starttext

\input tufte

\placefigure[left, here, force]{Maincaption}
{\startcombination[2*2]
  {}{}
  {\blackrule[width=5cm,height=10\baselineskip,color=lightgray]}{caption 2}
  {\newbox\MYscratchbox
   \setbox\MYscratchbox\hbox\bgroup
   \blackrule[width=5cm,height=22.24\baselineskip,color=lightgray]\egroup
   \ht\MYscratchbox=10\baselineskip % fake height
   \box\MYscratchbox}{caption 1}
  {\blackrule[width=5cm,height=10\baselineskip,color=lightgray]}{caption 3}
\stopcombination}

\input tufte

\page[yes]

\input tufte
\placefigure[left, here, force]{Maincaption}
{\vbox\bgroup\hsize105mm
   \hbox\bgroup
     \vbox\bgroup\hsize50mm
       \blackrule[height=22.24\baselineskip,width=50mm,color=lightgray]
       \centerline{caption 1}
     \egroup
     \hskip5mm
     \vbox to 23.24\baselineskip\bgroup % +1 for caption
       \hsize50mm
       \vbox\bgroup
         \blackrule[height=10\baselineskip,width=50mm,color=lightgray]
         \centerline{caption 2}
       \egroup
       \vss
       \vbox\bgroup
         \blackrule[height=10\baselineskip,width=50mm,color=lightgray]
         \centerline{caption 3}
       \egroup
     \egroup
   \egroup % hbox
 \egroup % outer vbox
}

@ 2010-02-18 12:22   ` Bernhard Rosensteiner
From: Bernhard Rosensteiner @ 2010-02-18 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.02.2010 um 21:12 schrieb Peter Rolf:

> Am 16.02.2010 19:40, schrieb Bernhard Rosensteiner:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in the attachment is an example file which describes best what i want do. The method with \offset and \clip to place the figures where i want is really brutal force i think.  Especially fiddling around with dimension to get the "right fit“ is tedious. Is there a better solution to do such a start/stopcombination?
>> Floatplacing is also influenced by the offset command but i compensated this with *hang - nevertheless all in all i think no good solution. Please help.
>>
> Hi Bernhard,
>
> that was fun. :)

yeah - thanks. Really nice. This gives me the motivation to read The TeXbook.

best regards
Bernhard

* Re: combiation trickery again now with attachement - sorry
@ 2010-02-18 13:41     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2010-02-18 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

that is indeed trickery. Though I did not try it, possibly using a
layer where the pictures and the captions are arranged could also be
used. The advantage of a layer would be, that it contains all the
pics and one would be able to move it as a hole to the spot intended.

Willi