From: "Richard Hensh" <hensh@math.msu.edu>
Subject: RE: mfonts
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 08:09:11 -0400	[thread overview]

I downloaded the latest betas and I am now able to generate and use the
necessary font files. One curious note, the only thing that fails is the
generation of the virtual font files. This is a MikTeX installation (but I
have installed the fptex distribution since texfont.pl seems to require the
tools mktexlsr and Kpathsea). The command line and subsequent messages are
shown below.

>texfont --fontroot=F:/localtexmf --ven=FontsThings --col=hand --ma --in

 TeXFont 1.2 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2001 (BETA)

       encoding vector : texnansi
           vendor name : fontsthings
           source path : .
       font collection : hand
       texmf font root : f:/localtexmf
       pdftex map file : texnansi-fontsthings-hand.map
           source path : .
      processing files : all on afm path
         copying files : afm
               copying : hand.afm
         copying files : pfb
               copying : hand.pfb
        generating tfm : texnansi-raw-hand (from hand)
         generating vf : texnansi-hand (from texnansi-raw-hand)
texnansi-raw-hand: No such file or directory
       font identifier : PPHandwritingNormal

            generating : ls-r databases

mktexlsr:  VARTEXFONTS is not defined.  Defaulting to
`J:\Storage\updates\TeX\Ty
pe\install'.
mktexlsr: Updating F:/localtexmf/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.

BTW, some font names seem to contain -raw- as part of their name but the tex
file that shows proper usage suggests the wrong name, e.g. the texfont
command generated the following suggestions in
texnansi-fontsthings-hand.tex:

\definefontsynonym[PPHandwritingNormal][texnansi-hand][encoding=texnansi]

instead of

\definefontsynonym[PPHandwritingNormal][texnansi-raw-hand][encoding=texnansi
]

It's easy enough to fix by hand but can this be repaired programmatically?

thanks
ricky