* horizontal spacing under special circumstances
@ 2015-12-07  9:54 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2015-12-07  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

since my bibliographic setup works well, thanks again, I’d like to tighten it a bit, i.e. reduce spacing under defined circumstances.

In the docs and sources I found only how to affect spacing of languages, and only "packed" or "broad".

In lang-spa.mkiv I found \definehspace, and in spac-hor.mkiv I found \spac_spacecodes_set_fixed{}, but I don’t understand if they can do what I want, and how.

This doesn’t help:

\unprotect
\definedescription[BibItem][
	headcommand=\gobbleoneargument,
	align=right,
	before={\bgroup\spac_spacecodes_set_fixed{50}}, % does this take a value or a unicode point?
	after={\egroup}, %\spac_spacecodes_set_stretch},
]
\protect

I’d also like to have footnotes in tighter spacing.

Any ideas?

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: horizontal spacing under special circumstances
@ 2015-12-07 15:39 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2015-12-07 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> since my bibliographic setup works well, thanks again, I’d like to tighten it a bit, i.e. reduce spacing under defined circumstances.
>
> In the docs and sources I found only how to affect spacing of languages, and only "packed" or "broad".
>
> In lang-spa.mkiv I found \definehspace, and in spac-hor.mkiv I found \spac_spacecodes_set_fixed{}, but I don’t understand if they can do what I want, and how.
>
> This doesn’t help:
>
> \unprotect
> \definedescription[BibItem][
> 	headcommand=\gobbleoneargument,
> 	align=right,
> 	before={\bgroup\spac_spacecodes_set_fixed{50}}, % does this take a value or a unicode point?
> 	after={\egroup}, %\spac_spacecodes_set_stretch},
> ]
> \protect
>
> I’d also like to have footnotes in tighter spacing.
>
> Any ideas?

When typesetting bibliography manually, I typically use \frenchspacing.

Aditya

* Re: horizontal spacing under special circumstances
@ 2015-12-07 18:06   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2015-12-07 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2015-12-07 um 21:39 schrieb Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:

> When typesetting bibliography manually, I typically use \frenchspacing.

You may, but that is increasing spacing (at least around punctuation).
But my publisher would like tighter-than-normal spacing.

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2015-12-07 20:15     ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2015-12-07 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2015-12-07 13:06, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2015-12-07 um 21:39 schrieb Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu>:
>
>> When typesetting bibliography manually, I typically use \frenchspacing.
> You may, but that is increasing spacing (at least around punctuation).
> But my publisher would like tighter-than-normal spacing.
>

> Greetlings, Hraban
> ---
> http://www.fiee.net
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net
> https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

Is a condensed font that complements your text face available? That, and
reducing the font size should be the first things to look at.
If neither will work for you, there is a sledge-hammer you can wield:
\kerncharacters. Depending on the font and your sensibilities, you might
get away with \kerncharacters[-0.07], but even at -0.03 some look bad.
You will lose ligatures.

--
Rik

* Re: horizontal spacing under special circumstances
@ 2015-12-08  3:01       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2015-12-08  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2015-12-08 um 02:15 schrieb Rik Kabel <context@rik.users.panix.com>:

>>> When typesetting bibliography manually, I typically use \frenchspacing.
>> You may, but that is increasing spacing (at least around punctuation).
>> But my publisher would like tighter-than-normal spacing.
> Is a condensed font that complements your text face available? That, and reducing the font size should be the first things to look at.
> If neither will work for you, there is a sledge-hammer you can wield: \kerncharacters. Depending on the font and your sensibilities, you might get away with \kerncharacters[-0.07], but even at -0.03 some look bad. You will lose ligatures.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am not looking for typographical solutions, being a typographer myself.

I asked explicitely for TeXnical advice to achieve tighter spacing - maybe I should have made clear that I don’t mean character kerning but only the handling of "space" glyphs.

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2015-12-08  9:01 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-12-08  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Henning Hraban Ramm <mailto:texml@fiee.net>
> 7. Dezember 2015 um 10:54
> Hi again,
>
> since my bibliographic setup works well, thanks again, I’d like to
> tighten it a bit, i.e. reduce spacing under defined circumstances.
>
> In the docs and sources I found only how to affect spacing of
> languages, and only "packed" or "broad".
>
> In lang-spa.mkiv I found \definehspace, and in spac-hor.mkiv I found
> \spac_spacecodes_set_fixed{}, but I don’t understand if they can do
> what I want, and how.
>
> This doesn’t help:
>
> \unprotect
> \definedescription[BibItem][
> headcommand=\gobbleoneargument,
> align=right,
> before={\bgroup\spac_spacecodes_set_fixed{50}}, % does this take a
> value or a unicode point?
> after={\egroup}, %\spac_spacecodes_set_stretch},
> ]
> \protect
>
> I’d also like to have footnotes in tighter spacing.

You have to change the value of the \spaceskip register when you want to
change with width of a space.

\startsetups[footnote:space]
   \spaceskip .7\interwordspace plus .5\interwordstretch minus
\interwordshrink
\stopsetups

\setupnote[footnote][setups=footnote:space]

\starttext

\input zapf
\startfootnote
\input zapf
\stopfootnote

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: horizontal spacing under special circumstances
@ 2015-12-08 11:11   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2015-12-08 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2015-12-08 um 15:01 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>:

>> \unprotect
>> \definedescription[BibItem][
>> headcommand=\gobbleoneargument,
>> align=right,
>> before={\bgroup\spac_spacecodes_set_fixed{50}}, % does this take a value or a unicode point?
>> after={\egroup}, %\spac_spacecodes_set_stretch},
>> ]
>> \protect
>>
>> I’d also like to have footnotes in tighter spacing.
>
> You have to change the value of the \spaceskip register when you want to change with width of a space.
>
> \startsetups[footnote:space]
>   \spaceskip .7\interwordspace plus .5\interwordstretch minus \interwordshrink
> \stopsetups
>
> \setupnote[footnote][setups=footnote:space]

Thank you for the suggestion, but I can’t see any change, even if I use extreme values for \spaceskip (like 0.1 or 10.0), neither in footnotes nor in my description (is the setups key even supposed to work in \definedescription?).

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2015-12-08 11:48     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-12-08 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Henning Hraban Ramm <mailto:texml@fiee.net>
> 8. Dezember 2015 um 12:11
>
> Thank you for the suggestion, but I can’t see any change, even if I
> use extreme values for \spaceskip (like 0.1 or 10.0), neither in footnotes
The footnote on the second page is a line shorter.

\startsetups[footnote:space]
   \spaceskip .7\interwordspace plus .5\interwordstretch minus
\interwordshrink
\stopsetups

\starttext

\input zapf
\startfootnote
\input zapf
\stopfootnote

\page

\setupnote[footnote][setups=footnote:space]

\input zapf
\startfootnote
\input zapf
\stopfootnote

\stoptext
> nor in my description (is the setups key even supposed to work in
> \definedescription?).
No, there is no setups key for description and you have to misuse the
style key.

\define\CompressSpace
   {\spaceskip .7\interwordspace plus .5\interwordstretch minus
\interwordshrink}

\definedescription[compressedspace]

\starttext

\startcompressedspace
\input zapf
\stopcompressedspace

\setupdescription[compressedspace][style=\CompressSpace]

\startcompressedspace
\input zapf
\stopcompressedspace

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: horizontal spacing under special circumstances
@ 2015-12-08 11:50     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-12-08 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/08/2015 12:11 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> [...]
> Thank you for the suggestion, but I can’t see any change, even if I use
> extreme values for \spaceskip (like 0.1 or 10.0), neither in footnotes
> nor in my description (is the setups key even supposed to work in
> \definedescription?).

Hi Hraban,

I don’t know whether this is right, but this works for me:

    \startsetups[footnote:space]
      \spaceskip .7\interwordspace
        plus .5\interwordstretch minus \interwordshrink
    \stopsetups

    \definedescription[definition][before=\directsetup{footnote:space}]
    \definedescription[definitiona]

    \starttext
    \definition{Hermann Zapf} \input zapf

    \definitiona{Hermann Zapf} \input zapf
    \stoptext

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: horizontal spacing under special circumstances
@ 2015-12-08 15:20       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2015-12-08 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2015-12-08 um 17:48 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>:

>> Henning Hraban Ramm 8. Dezember 2015 um 12:11
>>
>> Thank you for the suggestion, but I can’t see any change, even if I use extreme values for \spaceskip (like 0.1 or 10.0), neither in footnotes
> The footnote on the second page is a line shorter.

Ok.

>> nor in my description (is the setups key even supposed to work in \definedescription?).
> No, there is no setups key for description and you have to misuse the style key.
>
> \define\CompressSpace
>   {\spaceskip .7\interwordspace plus .5\interwordstretch minus \interwordshrink}
>
> \definedescription[compressedspace]

Yes, this works for me. But I like Pablo’s version better.

Greetlings, Hraban
Grüßlinge, Hraban
---

@ 2015-12-08 15:22       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2015-12-08 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2015-12-08 um 17:50 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es>:

> On 12/08/2015 12:11 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> [...]
>> Thank you for the suggestion, but I can’t see any change, even if I use
>> extreme values for \spaceskip (like 0.1 or 10.0), neither in footnotes
>> nor in my description (is the setups key even supposed to work in
>> \definedescription?).
>
> Hi Hraban,
>
> I don’t know whether this is right, but this works for me:
>
>    \startsetups[footnote:space]
>      \spaceskip .7\interwordspace
>        plus .5\interwordstretch minus \interwordshrink
>    \stopsetups
>
>    \definedescription[definition][before=\directsetup{footnote:space}]
>    \definedescription[definitiona]
>
>    \starttext
>    \definition{Hermann Zapf} \input zapf
>
>    \definitiona{Hermann Zapf} \input zapf
>    \stoptext

Thank you, this is really nice. Didn’t know \directsetup (i.e. I can’t handle these setups at all).

I also tried to get rid of the bigger space after stops:

\installlanguage[packed][en]
\setuplanguage[packed][spacing=packed]

\startsetups[tightspace]
  \spaceskip 0.7\interwordspace plus .5\interwordstretch minus \interwordshrink
\stopsetups

\definedescription[BibItem][
	before={\directsetup{tightspace}\bgroup\language[packed]},
	after={\egroup},
]

Greetlings, Hraban
---

@ 2015-12-08 15:34       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2015-12-08 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> nor in my description (is the setups key even supposed to work in
>> \definedescription?).
> No, there is no setups key for description and you have to misuse the style
> key.

Should we add one? It is a bit annoying at times that some of the
environments (descriptions, delimitedtexts, etc) don't have a setup key.
For environments that have been rewritten in the new style, adding a setup
key is relatively simple.

Aditya

* Re: horizontal spacing under special circumstances
@ 2015-12-08 22:16         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-12-08 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Henning Hraban Ramm <mailto:texml@fiee.net>
> 8. Dezember 2015 um 16:22
>
> Thank you, this is really nice. Didn’t know \directsetup (i.e. I can’t
> handle these setups at all).
>
> I also tried to get rid of the bigger space after stops:
>
> \installlanguage[packed][en]
> \setuplanguage[packed][spacing=packed]
You don’t have add a new language because
> \startsetups[tightspace]
> \spaceskip 0.7\interwordspace plus .5\interwordstretch minus
> \interwordshrink
> \stopsetups
>
> \definedescription[BibItem][
> before={\directsetup{tightspace}\bgroup\language[packed]},
> after={\egroup},
> ]
you can use here (the grouping isn’t necessary)

    before={\directsetup{tightspace}\setupspacing[packed]},

Wolfgang

* Re: horizontal spacing under special circumstances
@ 2015-12-13 16:41           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2015-12-13 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2015-12-09 um 04:16 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>:

>> \definedescription[BibItem][
>> before={\directsetup{tightspace}\bgroup\language[packed]},
>> after={\egroup},
>> ]
> you can use here (the grouping isn’t necessary)
>
>    before={\directsetup{tightspace}\setupspacing[packed]},

Thank you very much, that’s what i was looking for!

Greetlings, Hraban
---