* spurious space before section heading but only in pdf mode
@ 2006-04-08 18:26 Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-08 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

This file

\starttext
\section{a}
hi
\section{b}
hi again
\stoptext

is fine in dvi mode (texexec a.tex).  But 'texexec --pdf a.tex' is a bit
off, with the "1 a" section heading indented about one character.

Is it a pdfetex bug?

$ texexec --version

 TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

               texexec : TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
               texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2006
                   tex : pdfeTeX, 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
               context : ver: 2006.03.25 13:21
               cont-en : ver: 2006.03.25 13:21  fmt: 2006.4.8  mes: english

The only change from the distributed context version is Taco's
suggestion of \def\maxreadlevel{4} in supp-fil.tex.

-Sanjoy

`A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves.'
   - Bertrand de Jouvenal

* Re: spurious space before section heading but only in pdf mode
@ 2006-04-08 18:33 ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-08 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, I just tried that example on the live context and it came out
fine.  It also uses pdfetex 1.21, but has a more recent (2006-04-07)
context.

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.

* Re: spurious space before section heading but only in pdf mode
@ 2006-04-08 19:30 ` nico
From: nico @ 2006-04-08 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 14:26:11 -0400, Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@mrao.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

> This file
>
> \starttext
> \section{a}
> hi
> \section{b}
> hi again
> \stoptext
>
> is fine in dvi mode (texexec a.tex).  But 'texexec --pdf a.tex' is a bit
> off, with the "1 a" section heading indented about one character.
>
> Is it a pdfetex bug?
>
> $ texexec --version
>
>  TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>
>                texexec : TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005
>                texutil : TeXUtil 9.0.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1992-2006
>                    tex : pdfeTeX, 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)

I've the same pdfetex version, and it looks like the problem I encountered
(http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060406.001743.3f9ecc2b.en.html).

Regards,
BG

* Re: spurious space before section heading but only in pdf mode
@ 2006-04-08 22:12   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-08 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've the same pdfetex version, and it looks like the problem I encountered
> (http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20060406.001743.3f9ecc2b.en.html).

Thanks, those two space removals in enco-pfr.tex fix it.  I guess when
I upgrade to pdftex 1.30 I'll unchange it.

@ 2006-05-16 14:39     ` frantisek holop
From: frantisek holop @ 2006-05-16 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

hmm, on Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 11:12:56PM +0100, Sanjoy Mahajan said that
> Thanks, those two space removals in enco-pfr.tex fix it.  I guess when
> I upgrade to pdftex 1.30 I'll unchange it.

it seems that people are more afraid to upgrade their pdftex
than context.  in my opinion upgrading context is much harder,
there are much more things which can go wrong.

it is really just compiling it and replacing 3 files plus
regenating the formats.  (of course it must be followed
by the context update or else context stops working).

-f
--
when you starve with a tiger, the tiger starves last.

* Re: spurious space before section heading but only in pdf mode
@ 2006-05-17  0:19       ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-05-17  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

From:    frantisek holop <minusf@obiit.org>
> hmm, on Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 11:12:56PM +0100, Sanjoy Mahajan said that
> > Thanks, those two space removals in enco-pfr.tex fix it.  I guess when
> > I upgrade to pdftex 1.30 I'll unchange it.
>
> it seems that people are more afraid to upgrade their pdftex
> than context.  in my opinion upgrading context is much harder,
> there are much more things which can go wrong.

Upgrading context is easy now that I keep it in ~/texmf/, so updates
to the Debian tetex packages don't overwrite or shadow the latest
context.

My worry about upgrading pdf(e)tex is that when I do the next

  apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

then my pdftex 1.30 will get wiped out by the v1.21 that comes with
the slightly updated tetex-3.0.  Then I'll have to regenerate the
context formats (the apt-get upgrade will regenerate only the system
formats, not my own).

Already this overwriting happens with metapost 0.91: After upgrading
the tetex, it gets returned to 0.63 or something like that.  So I keep
the 0.91 install tree around and wrote a Makefile to reinstall it over
the 0.63 version (Taco has put that Makefile in the metapost
distribution).  But I'd like to minimize the amount of homebrew
administration, which is why I keep my hands off pdftex.