* chapter with letters rather than numbers?
@ 2006-04-14  5:41 Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2006-04-14  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

How would I use \setuphead[chapter] to have consecutive letters rather than
numbers assigned to chapters (in my appendix)?

Thanks for any hint,

Joh

* Re: chapter with letters rather than numbers?
@ 2006-04-14  7:02 ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2006-04-14  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Johannes,

Use the following structure:

\starttext

\startfrontmatter
\chapter{Introduction} % unnumbered chapter
\input thuan
\stoptfrontmatter

\startbodymatter
\chapter{How to obtain numbered chapters}
\input knuth
\chapter{Just like this}
\input davis
\stopbodymatter

\startappendices % Within this one, you'll get "lettered" chapters
\chapter{This is my first appendix} % work with \appendix{...} but dunno
the difference since results look similar
\input ward
\chapter{See you soon on context IRC}
\input zapf
\stopappendices

\startbackmatter
\chapter{Unnumbered} % Yet Another Unnumbered chapter
\stopbackmatter

\stoptext

@ 2006-04-14  7:10   ` Johannes Graumann
From: Johannes Graumann @ 2006-04-14  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Renaud ... put me on the right path - this should be automatically
the way I want it to and "he who seeks shall find" see: I had a typo in my
XML mappings: '\defineXMLenvironment[apendices]' will NEVER
match '<appendices>' ;0)

Joh

@ 2006-04-18 13:00   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-04-18 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Renaud AUBIN wrote:
> Johannes Graumann a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How would I use \setuphead[chapter] to have consecutive letters
>> rather than numbers assigned to chapters (in my appendix)?
>>
> Use the following structure:
>
> \startfrontmatter ... \stopfrontmatter
> \startbodymatter ... \stopbodymatter
> \startappendices ... \stopappendices
> \startbackmatter ... \stopbackmatter

which is the right way to do things. However, if you do want to change
chapter numbering,

  \setupsection
     [section-2]
     [bodypartconversion=Character]

will do the trick.

Aditya

--
Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008