* \k in inline math
@ 2006-04-26 20:19 Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-26 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

\starttext
$\k T$
\stoptext

The above test file, to my surprise, compiled fine.  [In Plain TeX I
usually define \k as \kappa, but I had forgotten to carry over that
definition.]  The pdf output showed a T with little hook as a subscript.

I can redefine \k as \kappa, but that might overwrite an important
definition.  However, I can't figure out where \k is defined.  With
\tracingmacros=1, the log had:

  \k ->\dohandleaccent {k}

but lots of grepping in the context sources only produced:

texmf/tex/context/base/mult-ini.tex:71:\def\k!prefix!{k!} \def\l!prefix!{l!} \def\m!prefix!{m!}

-Sanjoy

`A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves.'
   - Bertrand de Jouvenal

* Re: \k in inline math
@ 2006-04-26 20:35 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-04-26 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> \starttext
> $\k T$
> \stoptext
>
> The above test file, to my surprise, compiled fine.  [In Plain TeX I
> usually define \k as \kappa, but I had forgotten to carry over that
> definition.]  The pdf output showed a T with little hook as a subscript.
>
> I can redefine \k as \kappa, but that might overwrite an important
> definition.  However, I can't figure out where \k is defined.

enco-ini.tex:
   \definecommand k {\buildtextogonek}
(but i knew what to look for)

It is hard to come up with a clean solution to the problem
(it soon be becmes confusing when commands polymorph on you),
but this is a more or less sane way to get both:

   \unexpanded\def\k{\mathortext\kappa{\dohandleaccent{k}}}

Cheers, Taco

* Re: \k in inline math
@ 2006-04-26 21:01   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-04-26 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

From:    Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>
>   \definecommand k {\buildtextogonek}
> (but i knew what to look for)

Now I do too.  I'll add that alternative to future egrep regexps.

>   \unexpanded\def\k{\mathortext\kappa{\dohandleaccent{k}}}

Thanks, that works.

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.