* Charts,  Graphs, Tufte, and ConTeXt
@ 2006-07-21 16:55 David Wooten
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Wooten @ 2006-07-21 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings all,

I've been itching to stop using "Illustrator" and other programs to make
the charts and graphs I wish to include in my ConTeXt-generated
documents, and would like to get some advice on the matter.

There is a special (albeit not well furnished) place in my heart for
Tufte's /"Visual Display of Quantitative Information/", so I suppose I
am always leaning towards that philosophy of chart-making. I came across
Jean-luc Doumont's article /"Drawing effective (and beautiful) graphs
with TeX*" [1]/, in which he refers to his macro package called
JLdraw---and shows some pretty examples. JLdraw was in fact never
generally released, although when I contacted him he was happy to send
along the macro package. In beginning to tinker with them, I have not
had much luck getting them to work within ConTeXt, undoubtedly due to my
persistent naiveté.

Thus I'm curious as to what others use... is R an efficient method to
produce elegant charts? Is straight MetaPost preferable?

Many thanks,
David

[1] http://www.tug.org/TUG99-web/pdf/doumont2.pdf