* Context 2006.08.08 released
@ 2006-08-08 17:43 Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-08 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I am pleased to announce that the new ConTeXt release from Hans Hagen
can be downloaded as of now from the Pragma ADE website or one of its
mirrors.

    http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/current/cont-tmf.zip
    http://context.aanhet.net/context/current/cont-tmf.zip
    http://mirror.contextgarden.net/context/current/cont-tmf.zip

The current release has version 2006.08.08

A very short list of changes is given below. As usual, there is an
html page with more detailed release notes available on the Wiki, see:

    http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Release_Notes

New features:
* The first release of the cow font
* Support for strikethrough text using metapost
* Macros can register temporary files that are automatically cleaned up
* A few small math extensions:
   * matrix option style=\textstyle|\displaystyle so that each entry
     is in that style
   * matrix option location=low|lohi|high for the baseline placement
     of the matrix
   * macro \intertext added
* Sorting of alphabetic commalists (\sortalphacommacommand) is
   now possible
* Included metapost figures start out using black instead of the text
   color now, and \MPcolor{currentcolor} can be used for selecting the
   current text color outside figure
* Page ranges in registers can optionally be compressed using
   \setupregister[compress=yes]
* The bib module automatically runs bibtex now
* SciTE on Windows now uses ComSpec instead of calling cmd.exe directly

Bugfixes:
* A bugfix in defined (named) buffer handling
* Some french messages fixed
* Some fixes for character alignment errors in natural tables
* In grid mode, \displaywidowpenalty and \brokenpenalty are now set
   to zero
* Figure numbers in captions fixed (separator, stopper, suffix)
* LucidaNewMath-Demi (bold) font fixed

Happy TeXing,

Taco Hoekwater

* Re: Context 2006.08.08 released
@ 2006-08-08 18:23 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-08-08 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am pleased to announce that the new ConTeXt release from Hans Hagen
> can be downloaded as of now from the Pragma ADE website or one of its
> mirrors.
>
>    http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/current/cont-tmf.zip
>    http://context.aanhet.net/context/current/cont-tmf.zip
>    http://mirror.contextgarden.net/context/current/cont-tmf.zip
>
> The current release has version 2006.08.08
>
> A very short list of changes is given below. As usual, there is an
> html page with more detailed release notes available on the Wiki, see:
>
>    http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Release_Notes

Something broke with formula numbering, and it is due to the numbering
changes. \preparethenumber is commented from core-sec.tex,
dododoformulanumber in core-mat.tex still uses it. As a result even
the simple

\placeformula \startformula a = b \stopformula

fails with

! Undefined control sequence.
\dododoformulanumber ...@fmleft \preparethenumber
                                                   \??fm
\composedsectionnumb...
<argument> \normalreqno {\doformulanumber [][][]{}
                                                   }
\secondoftwoarguments #1#2->#2

\dostopformula ->\doplaceformulanumber
                                        \getvalue {\e!stop
\formulaparameter ...
l.3 \placeformula \startformula a = b \stopformula

Changing preparethenumber in dododoformula by preparefullnumber gets
rid of the problem.

Aditya

* Re: Context 2006.08.08 released
@ 2006-08-08 18:30   ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2006-08-08 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Same thing happens here... (Aditya was faster... ;) )

Renaud

@ 2006-08-08 18:33 ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2006-08-08 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

What's the meaning of "automatically calls bibtex now".

We don't have to call:
texexec --once mydoc
bibtex mydoc
texexec mydoc
anymore ?

Renaud

@ 2006-08-08 18:36   ` Renaud AUBIN
From: Renaud AUBIN @ 2006-08-08 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have finally read bibmode-doc... (Sorry to pollute the ML with dumb
post...)

@ 2006-08-08 18:53     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-08 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Renaud AUBIN wrote:
> I have finally read bibmode-doc... (Sorry to pollute the ML with dumb
> post...)
>
> Renaud AUBIN a écrit :
>

>>What's the meaning of "automatically calls bibtex now".
>>
>>We don't have to call:
>>texexec --once mydoc
>>bibtex mydoc
>>texexec mydoc
>>anymore ?

Correct.

Taco

* Re: Context 2006.08.08 released
@ 2006-08-08 19:45 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2006-08-08 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Great that the new Cows-letter-font is released!

Will you kindly provide some hints how to use this font? - I remember
some trickery you presented at the NTG meeting.
Last but not least, what am I missing trying to get the cows show up?

\loadmapfile[koeieletters]
\usetypescriptfile[type-cow]
\usetypescript[cow][texnansi]

\setupbodyfont[cow,ss,36pt]

\starttext
Hello!

\blank[big]

$1 + 1 = 2$
\stoptext

Cheers

Willi

@ 2006-08-08 20:01   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-08 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Something broke with formula numbering, and it is due to the numbering

hm, i really need this ultra light portable to carry around at home which beeps when someone sends such a mail -)

anyway, with a bit of delay ... new zips uploaded (unchecked -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-08-08 20:29     ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-08-08 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> anyway, with a bit of delay ... new zips uploaded (unchecked -)

I just tested Aditya's example

\starttext
\placeformula \startformula a = b \stopformula
\stoptext

and found that it worked fine (with 2006.08.08 21:51), so I guessed
that some fast updating happened!  I've added that example to the
contexttest files as 'tex/context/base/core-mat.tex/test-005.tex'.

I also included a test for \dontleavehmode mixing with \section
headings (as core-sec.tex/test-001.tex).

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.

* ctxtools.rb (was Re:  Context 2006.08.08 released )
@ 2006-08-08 20:56     ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-08-08 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans,

The latest ctxtools.rb has:

        def locatedlocaltree
            tree = `kpsewhich --expand-path $TEXMFLOCAL`.chomp rescue
            nil
            unless tree && FileTest.directory?(tree) then
                tree = `kpsewhich --expand-path $TEXMF`.chomp rescue
            nil
            end
            return tree
        end

I know the Windows/Unix quoting isn't sorted out, but another problem
is with --expand-path.  If the

  kpsewhich --expand-path $TEXMF

line would get run here (with '$TEXMF'), it would produce

/home/sanjoy/.texmf-config:/home/sanjoy/.texmf-var:/home/sanjoy/texmf:/etc/texmf:/var/lib/texmf:/usr/local/share/texmf:/usr/share/texmf:/usr/share/texmf-tetex

which would eventually become the argument of an unhappy Dir.chdir().
Should localtedlocaltree() extract the first component before doing
'return tree'?

@ 2006-08-08 21:52   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-08 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willi Egger wrote:
> Great that the new Cows-letter-font is released!
>
> Will you kindly provide some hints how to use this font? - I remember
> some trickery you presented at the NTG meeting.
> Last but not least, what am I missing trying to get the cows show up?

This should work:

   \loadmapfile[koeieletters]
   \usetypescriptfile[type-cow]
   \usetypescript[cow][default] % only in 'default' encoding

   \definebodyfontenvironment[72pt]
   \setupbodyfont[cow,72pt]

   \starttext
   \rm Hello! % the typescript switches to sans by default

   \blank[big]

   $1 + 1 = 2$
   \stoptext

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Context 2006.08.08 released
@ 2006-08-08 21:53   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-08-08 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willi Egger wrote:
> Great that the new Cows-letter-font is released!
>
> Will you kindly provide some hints how to use this font? - I remember
> some trickery you presented at the NTG meeting.
> Last but not least, what am I missing trying to get the cows show up?

just load the symb-cow symbols (\usesymbols[cow]) as starting point (it
defined fonts and such)

there will be a manual

Hans

* Re: COW-font (was:  Context 2006.08.08 released)
@ 2006-08-09 19:54     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2006-08-09 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

Thanks, this helps. Also \setupbodyfont[cow,rm,36pt]  does the trick.

Willi

@ 2006-08-09 20:01     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2006-08-09 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the hint!

Now I am able to display the symbolsets with \showsymbolset. However I
can't get eg. \symbol[CowConTeXtComplete]
I tried also the Marvosyms. I can display the a set e.g.
\showsymbolset[atronomic], but can't get \symbol[astronomic:Mars]

Is the \symbol command broken?

Willi

@ 2006-08-09 21:08       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-08-09 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/9/06, Willi Egger wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for the hint!
>
> Now I am able to display the symbolsets with \showsymbolset. However I
> can't get eg. \symbol[CowConTeXtComplete]
> I tried also the Marvosyms. I can display the a set e.g.
> \showsymbolset[atronomic], but can't get \symbol[astronomic:Mars]
>
> Is the \symbol command broken?
>
> Willi

\usesymbols[cow]

\starttext
\symbol[cownormal][CowConTeXtComplete]
\stoptext

There's also a command to "preaload cownormal", so that you may leave
the [cownormal] out:

\setupsymbolset[cownormal]
\symbol[CowConTeXtComplete]

Mojca

* Re: Cow-font (was Context 2006.08.08 released}
@ 2006-08-09 21:50         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-08-09 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)