* flow charts
@ 2006-09-23 10:55 r.ermers
From: r.ermers @ 2006-09-23 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Friends,
I am trying to generate a simple flow chart. Does anybody have a complete
working sample file, as simple as possible, that I could use as a starting
point?

Thanks in advance.

Robert

* Re: flow charts
@ 2006-09-23 11:50 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2006-09-23 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:55:04 +0200 (CEST)
r.ermers@hccnet.nl wrote:

> Dear Friends,
> I am trying to generate a simple flow chart. Does anybody have a complete
> working sample file, as simple as possible, that I could use as a starting
> point?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Robert

Hi Robert,

you can play with with the attached test from me.

The solution how you can scale the flowchart to the neccesary size to
fit on the page is in the flowchart-manual.

Finding the solution by yourself makes more fun and helps you to
understand the whole thing.

Happy TeXing.

Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: flowchart.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 861 bytes --]

\usemodule[chart]

\starttext

\startFLOWchart
    \startFLOWcell
        \name {01}
        \location {2,1}
        \shape {action}
        \text {Potential Entrants}
        \connect [bt] {03}
    \stopFLOWcell
    \startFLOWcell
        \name {02}
        \location {1,2}
        \shape {action}
        \text {Supplies}
        \connect [rl] {03}
    \stopFLOWcell
    \startFLOWcell
        \name {03}
        \location {2,2}
        \shape {action}
        \text {Industry Competitors}
    \stopFLOWcell
    \startFLOWcell
        \name {04}
        \location {3,2}
        \shape {action}
        \text {Buyers}
        \connect [lr] {03}
    \stopFLOWcell
    \startFLOWcell
        \name {05}
        \location {2,3}
        \shape {action}
        \text {Substitutes}
        \connect [tb] {03}
    \stopFLOWcell
\stopFLOWchart

\FLOWchart

\stoptext

* Re: flow charts
@ 2006-09-23 12:55   ` r.ermers
From: r.ermers @ 2006-09-23 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Wolfgang,
That's exactly what I needed!

Robert

Op Za, 23 september, 2006 1:50 pm schreef Wolfgang Schuster:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:55:04 +0200 (CEST)
> r.ermers@hccnet.nl wrote:
>
>> Dear Friends,
>> I am trying to generate a simple flow chart. Does anybody have a
>> complete working sample file, as simple as possible, that I could use as
>> a starting point?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>> Robert
>>

> Hi Robert,
>

> you can play with with the attached test from me.
>
> The solution how you can scale the flowchart to the neccesary size to
> fit on the page is in the flowchart-manual.
>
> Finding the solution by yourself makes more fun and helps you to
> understand the whole thing.
>
> Happy TeXing.
>

> Wolfgang

* Re: flow charts
@ 2006-09-23 13:16     ` andrea valle
From: andrea valle @ 2006-09-23 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didn't know about flowchart and compiled wolfgang' s example.
Wow.

Thanks Hans!

Best

-a-

On 23 Sep 2006, at 14:55, r.ermers@hccnet.nl wrote:

> Thanks Wolfgang,
> That's exactly what I needed!
>
> Robert
>
> Op Za, 23 september, 2006 1:50 pm schreef Wolfgang Schuster:
>> On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:55:04 +0200 (CEST)
>> r.ermers@hccnet.nl wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Friends,
>>> I am trying to generate a simple flow chart. Does anybody have a
>>> complete working sample file, as simple as possible, that I could
>>> use as
>>> a starting point?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>

>>> Robert
>>>

>> Hi Robert,
>>

>> you can play with with the attached test from me.
>>
>> The solution how you can scale the flowchart to the neccesary size to
>> fit on the page is in the flowchart-manual.
>>
>> Finding the solution by yourself makes more fun and helps you to
>> understand the whole thing.
>>
>> Happy TeXing.
>>

>> Wolfgang

Andrea Valle
DAMS - Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione
Università degli Studi di Torino
http://www.semiotiche.it/andrea
andrea.valle@unito.it

* Re: flow charts
@ 2006-09-23 21:57   ` Giulio Bertellini
From: Giulio Bertellini @ 2006-09-23 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang:

thank you for the example attached to your reply.  Is it also possible to
get a copy of the flowchart manual to which you refer?

I would appreciate it a lot. I have been asked to prepare some process
flowcharts in Power Point, which I would prefer to avoid using.

Thank you,

Giulio Bertellini
Milan, Italy

On 9/23/06, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 12:55:04 +0200 (CEST)
> r.ermers@hccnet.nl wrote:
>
> > Dear Friends,
> > I am trying to generate a simple flow chart. Does anybody have a
> complete
> > working sample file, as simple as possible, that I could use as a
> starting
> > point?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Robert
> >

> Hi Robert,
>
> you can play with with the attached test from me.
>
> The solution how you can scale the flowchart to the neccesary size to
> fit on the page is in the flowchart-manual.
>
> Finding the solution by yourself makes more fun and helps you to
> understand the whole thing.
>
> Happy TeXing.
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: flow charts
@ 2006-09-24  2:14     ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-09-24  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is it also possible to get a copy of the flowchart manual to which
> you refer?

The flowcharts page on the wikie
<http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Flow_Charts> links to the manual.

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.

* Flow Charts
@ 2009-04-06  7:56 Alfredo Catalina
From: Alfredo Catalina @ 2009-04-06  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I find the chart module great, it provides good results when typesetting
flow charts in many cases. However, sometimes when defining connection lines
the automatic routing feature is not able to find an optimal route and lines
intersect. I was wondering if there is an alternate way to define a
particular path for a specific connection. Instead of letting the module
doing that connection I would rather let it undefined and use some metapost
commands to do it. Is there an easy way to do it keeping the lines and
arrows setup?.

Thanks!

* RE: Flow charts
@ 2000-05-24  7:20     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-05-24  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have spotted that before asking my question. Yet this
> section only seems
> to be about what they look like, not how they are drawn.

Exactly how is in the source, but I quote:

The connection drawing routines have a rather strong urge to follow grid
lines. Figure 8 demon-strates
this several times. From the first shape to the third one, we see that the
connection takes
a shorter route. Whenever possible, i.e. when no shapes are crossed, the
routines will take a
shortcut. I have to admit that the routines in itself are rather stupid, but
for normal use they
suffice.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Flow charts
@ 2000-05-24  4:16   ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2000-05-24  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue 2000-05-23 (13:41), Berend de Boer wrote:
> Hello Johannes,
>
> > It seems to me that there is no mentioning how connection
> > between flow cells are drawn. Am I missing something?
>
> There is, choose "connections" on the first (contents) page. It's after
> Shapes and before Adding text.

Beste Berend,

I have spotted that before asking my question. Yet this section only seems
to be about what they look like, not how they are drawn.

Greetings

Johannes

* Re: Flow charts
@ 2000-05-23 14:38 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-23 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:23 PM 5/23/2000 +0200, Johannes Hüsing wrote:

>I am just skimming over the up-to-date 1999/3
>(http://www.pragma-ade.nl/general/uptodate/up-003-p.pdf).
>It seems to me that there is no mentioning how connection
>between flow cells are drawn. Am I missing something?

Inside a cell spec, you can add \connection directives with destinations.
The lines are drawn automatically.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* RE: Flow charts
@ 2000-05-23 11:41 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-05-23 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Johannes,

> It seems to me that there is no mentioning how connection
> between flow cells are drawn. Am I missing something?

There is, choose "connections" on the first (contents) page. It's after
Shapes and before Adding text.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Flow charts