* setupformulas: make indentnext=auto the default?
@ 2006-09-24 17:08 Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-09-24 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

The default for setupformulas is indentnext=no, at least from a couple
experiments and this line in core-mat.tex (in version 2006.08.08):

   \c!indentnext=\v!no,

What's the view on changing it to indentnext=auto, which seems
intuitive at least if one is used to TeX or LaTeX?  From the archives,
it seems like 'auto' was the default a few years ago, but maybe there
was reason to change it to 'no'.

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.

* Re: setupformulas: make indentnext=auto the default?
@ 2006-10-02  9:44 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-10-02  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> The default for setupformulas is indentnext=no, at least from a couple
> experiments and this line in core-mat.tex (in version 2006.08.08):
>
>   \c!indentnext=\v!no,
>
> What's the view on changing it to indentnext=auto, which seems
> intuitive at least if one is used to TeX or LaTeX?  From the archives,
> it seems like 'auto' was the default a few years ago, but maybe there
> was reason to change it to 'no'.

I do not know why 'indentnext' was changed to 'no'. I would also like
the default to be changed to 'auto'. However, I do not know if it
breaks backwards compatibility of someone else's existing project.

You can ofcourse change it in your cont-sys.tex file, but remember to
add it to your environment file if you want to share your documents
with others.

Aditya

* Re: setupformulas: make indentnext=auto the default?
@ 2006-10-04  8:11   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-04  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>

>> The default for setupformulas is indentnext=no, at least from a couple
>> experiments and this line in core-mat.tex (in version 2006.08.08):
>>
>>   \c!indentnext=\v!no,
>>
>> What's the view on changing it to indentnext=auto, which seems
>> intuitive at least if one is used to TeX or LaTeX?  From the archives,
>> it seems like 'auto' was the default a few years ago, but maybe there
>> was reason to change it to 'no'.
>>

> I do not know why 'indentnext' was changed to 'no'. I would also like
> the default to be changed to 'auto'. However, I do not know if it
> breaks backwards compatibility of someone else's existing project.
>
> You can ofcourse change it in your cont-sys.tex file, but remember to
> add it to your environment file if you want to share your documents
> with others.

normally i have no problems with changes that make thinsg look better (improvements in macros)

however, this is a functional change and that's not going to happen

if a lot of users want it, we can consider making some styles that use (and/or comment) different defaults,

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE