* static figures not working with the 2006.10.04 beta
@ 2006-10-05  5:05 Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-10-05  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

This file now produces a blank page except for the page number, perhaps
due to me messing up one of the upgrades (was trying an automatic
install to a TEXMFLOCAL directory but eventually gave up and went back
to ~/texmf/):

\starttext

\startstaticMPfigure{fig}
 draw fullcircle scaled 1in;
\stopstaticMPfigure

\usestaticMPfigure[fig]
\stoptext

[ConTeXt  ver: 2006.10.04 09:35 MK II]

-Sanjoy

`A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves.'
   -- Bertrand de Jouvenal

* Re: static figures not working with the 2006.10.04 beta
@ 2006-10-05  5:42 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-10-05  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> This file now produces a blank page except for the page number, perhaps
> due to me messing up one of the upgrades (was trying an automatic
> install to a TEXMFLOCAL directory but eventually gave up and went back
> to ~/texmf/):

> \starttext
>
> \startstaticMPfigure{fig}
> draw fullcircle scaled 1in;
> \stopstaticMPfigure
>
> \usestaticMPfigure[fig]
> \stoptext
>
> [ConTeXt  ver: 2006.10.04 09:35 MK II]

Works fine here on the same version.

Aditya

* Re: static figures not working with the 2006.10.04 beta
@ 2006-10-05 12:17   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-10-05 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Works fine here on the same version.

Thanks for testing.  Then it must have been something messed up in
trying a TEXMFLOCAL update.  Oh, just found it.  kpathsea wasn't
finding my cont-sys.tex (in ~/texmf/tex/context/user/cont-sys.tex), so
these values were not set:

\runMPgraphicstrue
\runMPTEXgraphicstrue

Yet the cont-sys.tex file is there.  Magic: When I deleted the ls-R
database, cont-sys.tex became visible.  Obviously I don't understand
how kpathsea works.  I thought a path element (in texmf.cnf) without a
!!  in front meant kpathsea would search the filesystem as well as the
ls-R.  So deleting the ls-R should not change "not found" to "found",
since it should have searched the disk anyway.  Anyhow it's okay now.
Maybe the ls-R had a cont-sys.tex but in the wrong location, so it
didn't bother to search the disk.

TeX file searching is a god awful, fragile mess!

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.