* ' undefined inside \startformula .. \stopformula
@ 2006-12-26 21:59 Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-12-26 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just noticed this test file failing:

\starttext
$f'(x)$
\startformula
f^\prime(x)\quad f'(x)
\stopformula
\stoptext

It gives:

! Undefined control sequence.
l.4 f^\prime(x)\quad f'
                       (x)

As you can see from lack of complaint about $f'(x)$, the ' still works
in inline math mode.  So somehow the ' active charcode setting didn't
make it into display-math mode?

I couldn't get any tests to produce a PDF file on the live context, so I
didn't test it there.  But I'm using:

ConTeXt  ver: 2006.12.20 23:52 MK II  fmt: 2006.12.25

-Sanjoy

`A nation of slaves is always prepared to applaud the clemency of their
 master who, in the abuse of absolute power, does not proceed to the
 last extremes of injustice and oppression.'  (Gibbon)

* Re: ' undefined inside \startformula .. \stopformula
@ 2006-12-27  0:33 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-12-27  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> I just noticed this test file failing:
>
> \starttext
> $f'(x)$
> \startformula
> f^\prime(x)\quad f'(x)
> \stopformula
> \stoptext
>
> It gives:
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.4 f^\prime(x)\quad f'
>                        (x)

This is a typo in math-pln.tex. The end of the file should be

\bgroup
     \catcode`\_ = 13
     \catcode`\' = 13
     \doglobal\appendtoks
         \let_\activemathunderscore
         \let'\activemathquote
     \to \everymathematics %<--- was \everymath
\egroup

Aditya

* Re: ' undefined inside \startformula .. \stopformula
@ 2006-12-27  2:53   ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2006-12-27  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Aditya,

I've copied your codes and replaced the original ones with them, but I
failed when I make the formats:
texexec --make --all

It gives me the following message:

(d:\ConTeXt\usr\local\context\tex\texmf-local/tex/context/base/math-pln.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
\@@toks ->\everymathematics

\dodoappendtoks ->\dodoglobal \@@toks
                                      \@EAEAEA {\@EA \the \@EA \@@toks \the
l.382     \to \everymathematics

? q
OK, entering \batchmode

ConTeXt  ver: 2006.12.20 23:52 MK II  fmt: 2006.12.27  int: dutch/dutch

fonts           : needs map file: texnansi-public-lm
fonts           : needs map file: original-base
fonts           : needs map file: ec-public-lm
fonts           : needs map file: ec-base
fonts           : needs map file: lm-ec
! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   \@@ladefault
\defaultlanguage #1->\@EA \ifx \csname \??la #1
                                               \c!default \endcsname \empty

\defaultlanguage ...\??la #1\c!default \endcsname
                                                  \fi
\dogetupsometextprefix #1#2#3->\ifcsname #2#1
                                             #3\endcsname \csname
#2#1#3\end...

\labeltexts #1#2->\leftlabeltext {#1}
                                     #2\rightlabeltext {#1}
<argument> ...enumber {\pageprefixes \pagenumber }
                                                  \@@nmright
l.38 \protect \errorstopmode \dump
                                   \endinput
? q
OK, entering \batchmodeTeXExec | generating tex format mptopdf

On 12/27/06, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>
> > I just noticed this test file failing:
> >
> > \starttext
> > $f'(x)$
> > \startformula
> > f^\prime(x)\quad f'(x)
> > \stopformula
> > \stoptext
> >
> > It gives:
> >
> > ! Undefined control sequence.
> > l.4 f^\prime(x)\quad f'
> >                        (x)
> >

> This is a typo in math-pln.tex. The end of the file should be
>
> \bgroup
>     \catcode`\_ = 13
>     \catcode`\' = 13
>     \doglobal\appendtoks
>         \let_\activemathunderscore
>         \let'\activemathquote
>     \to \everymathematics %<--- was \everymath
> \egroup
>
> Aditya

Sincerely yours,
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com

@ 2006-12-27  2:58     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-12-27  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Zhichu Chen wrote:

> Hi Aditya,
>
> I've copied your codes and replaced the original ones with them, but I
> failed when I make the formats:
> texexec --make --all
>
> It gives me the following message:
>
> (d:\ConTeXt\usr\local\context\tex\texmf-local/tex/context/base/math-pln.tex
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> \@@toks ->\everymathematics
>
> \dodoappendtoks ->\dodoglobal \@@toks
>                                       \@EAEAEA {\@EA \the \@EA \@@toks \the
> l.382     \to \everymathematics
>
> ? q
> OK, entering \batchmode

Sorry, about that. This is because of the loading order of files. For
the time being, you can copy the definitions to cont-new.tex or to the
top of your tex file.

Hans, what is the proper way of getting this to work. Also append to
\everydisplay, or move the definitions to core-mat? (Or I am
completely missing the point?)

Aditya

* Re: ' undefined inside \startformula .. \stopformula
@ 2006-12-27  8:28       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-12-27  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Zhichu Chen wrote:
>

>> Hi Aditya,
>>
>> I've copied your codes and replaced the original ones with them, but I
>> failed when I make the formats:
>> texexec --make --all
>>
>> It gives me the following message:
>>
>> (d:\ConTeXt\usr\local\context\tex\texmf-local/tex/context/base/math-pln.tex
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> \@@toks ->\everymathematics
>>
>> \dodoappendtoks ->\dodoglobal \@@toks
>>                                       \@EAEAEA {\@EA \the \@EA \@@toks \the
>> l.382     \to \everymathematics
>>
>> ? q
>> OK, entering \batchmode
>>

> Sorry, about that. This is because of the loading order of files. For
> the time being, you can copy the definitions to cont-new.tex or to the
> top of your tex file.

such temp hacks go into cont-new indeed and when ok can go into a core
module
> Hans, what is the proper way of getting this to work. Also append to
> \everydisplay, or move the definitions to core-mat? (Or I am
> completely missing the point?)
everymathematics covers both inline and display math

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-12-27  8:31   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-12-27  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>

>> I just noticed this test file failing:
>>
>> \starttext
>> $f'(x)$
>> \startformula
>> f^\prime(x)\quad f'(x)
>> \stopformula
>> \stoptext
>>
>> It gives:
>>
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> l.4 f^\prime(x)\quad f'
>>                        (x)
>>

> This is a typo in math-pln.tex. The end of the file should be
>
> \bgroup
>      \catcode`\_ = 13
>      \catcode`\' = 13
>      \doglobal\appendtoks
>          \let_\activemathunderscore
>          \let'\activemathquote
>      \to \everymathematics %<--- was \everymath
> \egroup

ok, fixed ... the _ thing is kind of weird and taco and i could not cook
up a reason why plain does/needs that ; the ' (prime) is needed

this trickery is related to a change in the catcode management of
context (which interferes with some plain tex left-overs)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-12-27 11:21     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-12-27 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

>>This is a typo in math-pln.tex. The end of the file should be
>>
>>\bgroup
>>     \catcode`\_ = 13
>>     \catcode`\' = 13
>>     \doglobal\appendtoks
>>         \let_\activemathunderscore
>>         \let'\activemathquote
>>     \to \everymathematics %<--- was \everymath
>>\egroup
>>

> ok, fixed ... the _ thing is kind of weird and taco and i could not cook
> up a reason why plain does/needs that ; the ' (prime) is needed
>
> this trickery is related to a change in the catcode management of
> context (which interferes with some plain tex left-overs)

Hans has uploaded a new version, with fix (context 2006.12.27).

Best, Taco

* Re: ' undefined inside \startformula .. \stopformula
@ 2006-12-27 16:31       ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-12-27 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya>>> This is a typo in math-pln.tex. The end of the file should be

Hans>> this trickery is related to a change in the catcode management of
Hans>> context (which interferes with some plain tex left-overs)

Taco> Hans has uploaded a new version, with fix (context 2006.12.27).

Just tested on my test file and it works.  Thanks to all,

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)