From: abbg770@city.ac.uk
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Fedora 9 (Linux) Installation
Date: 05 Jul 2008 22:43:41 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

I can't seem to install ConTeXt manually. I've literally followed this page
http://wiki.contextgaraden.net/Linux_User_Installation verbatim and I can't
seem to compile even the most basic of documents. I'm running Fedora9 bit,
and I do happen to have TeXLive with ConTeXt installed. The thing is I
don't want to ruin the current install rather I'd like to have a version of
ConTeXt that lives in my ~/. so that I can play about with it, I'm
particurarly after the fonts that come with it.

I've attached some files with the outputs of running the commands.

a.  source ~/.context_env $PWD/tex => results in nothing.
b.  mktexlsr => mktexlsrlog.txt
c.  texexec --version => texexec-version-log.txt
d.  texexec --check => check-texexec-log(copy).txt

         This simply doesn't work on my install it's meant to do what the
author of the page said --- "This will give you a lot of lines of output
including the versions of various scripts, the version of pdftex and the
version of ConTeXt. It will also generate a test file and run it through
ConTeXt. You should get a pdf file called texexec.pdf with the word
"Test".". Didn't get anything :(.

e.  texexec first.tex => texexec-first-log.txt

Ok now that's out of the way i've got a few questions regarding ConTeXt
itself.

1. Is there an equivalent of the listing package? Take a look at
listing-sample.pdf. It's also highly customizable, allowing me to change
the colour etc. For instance here is my setup.

\lstset{breaklines=true, showlines=true, % showing line numbers
numbers=left, % where to show line numbers
numberstyle=\scriptsize\sffamily\color{gray}, % numbersep=10pt, %
stepnumber=1, % how often to show the line number on the left
language=Java, % specifiy the language basicstyle=\scriptsize\ttfamily, %
print whole listing small keywordstyle=\bfseries\color{eclipsekeyword}, %
underlined bold black keywords identifierstyle=, % nothing happens
commentstyle=\color{eclipsecomment}, % white comments, if you use
commentstyle=\color{white}, it doesn't display the PRODID for the VCALENDAR
stringstyle=\ttfamily, % typewriter type for strings
showstringspaces=false, % no special string spaces frame=single, % bottom
of listing gets a rule, use frame=single if you want awhole frame around it
backgroundcolor=\color{white}, use frame=b for line a the bottom only
backgroundcolor=\color{white}, tabsize=4, showspaces=false,
showstringspaces=false}

\lstset{morecomment=[s][\color{eclipsejavadoc}]{/**}{*/}}%,
% morecomment=[s][\color{red}]{/*-}{*/}}

And including the source code.

\lstinputlisting[

caption={CalendarExtractor.java},

label=lst:CalendarExtractor.java]

{source/CalendarExtractor.java}

2. Can someone please tell me if a book is being planned, I'd hate to print
out the documentation and then come to realize that, say, two months down
the line a book is available.

3. As you probably guessed I'm new to ConTeXt so if somewould could please
tell me in what situation you would use each of the following files for,
It'll clarify alot of things for. In particular what is the "the main
CONTEXT distribution".

context/current/cont-tmf.zip the main CONTEXT distribution
context/current/cont-img.zip a few resources for testing functionality
context/current/cont-fnt.zip font metrics of public fonts
context/current/cont-ext.zip third party CONTEXT modules
context/current/cont-win.zip a binary version of the texmfstart script
context/current/cont-ppc.zip chemical formulas in TEX: PPCHTEX
context/current/cont-mpd.zip METAPOST to PDF converter
context/install/cont-bas.zip base TEX distribution
context/install/justtex.zip minimal CONTEXT distribution (no binaries)
context/install/mswintex.zip minimal CONTEXT binaries (windows)
context/install/linuxtex.zip minimal CONTEXT binaries (linux)
context/install/macosxtex.zip minimal CONTEXT binaries (macosx)
context/install/mswincontext.zip stand-alone CONTEXTediting environment
(windows)

Thank you very much