* backward-incompatible behavior of Palatino and modern
@ 2008-12-07 18:06 Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2008-12-07 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I texexec'ed a one-page file that I hadn't compiled for almost a year
(preparing for the next offering of the course).  The font sizes
increased, resulting in a two-page PDF file.

The one-page result, which is what I expected, came from ConTeXt
2008.01.02 (MkII), for which I had selected font sizes to fit it onto
one page.  I couldn't find that release in the museum, so it was
probably 2007.12.31 with my patches.  I downloaded the cont-tmf for
2007.12.31, and it too produced the expected one-page PDF file.

Whereas current versions produce a two-page file, either with 2008.10.31
from the Debian packages and with 2008.11.10 on live.contextgarden.net.
I'm not sure which behavior (2007 or 2008) is correct.

Below is a minimal example testfile.tex producing only a few lines
instead of a whole page, but it illustrates the differences.  With the
2007.12.31 version, the lines fits within the frame (from \showframe).
With the new versions, the "Approximation" extends outside the frame,
and the "The Art" gets split onto separate lines.

Commenting out the "\setupbodyfont [palatino,11pt]" line makes the two
versions identical.  But the original example uses Palatino text, so I
cannot do that for the long-term solution.

I've attached 'good' and 'bad' PDF files.

If the new version is correct, I'll retune the font sizes to make it
fit, and it's no big deal.  But I'm reporting the issue in case the
example has exposed an unexpected change in ConTeXt over the last year.

-Sanjoy

======= cut here: testfile.tex ====================
\setuppapersize[letter,landscape][letter,landscape]
\setuplayout[height=fit,margin=0pt,width=fit,
backspace=0.7in,cutspace=0.7in,topspace=0in,bottomspace=-0.2in]
\setuppagenumbering[location=]
\usetypescript [palatino][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont [palatino,11pt]
\showframe

\starttext

\raggedleft
\setupbodyfont[modern,54pt]\ss
{\bfa 6.055J/2.038J\hfill The Art of}%
\break
\baselineskip=19pt%
\setupbodyfont[modern,50.7pt]%
\bfd Approximation

\stoptext
======= cut here: testfile.tex ====================

[-- Attachment #2: with old version --]

[-- Attachment #3: with new version --]

* Re: backward-incompatible behavior of Palatino and modern
@ 2008-12-08 11:21 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-12-08 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> Commenting out the "\setupbodyfont [palatino,11pt]" line makes the two
> versions identical.  But the original example uses Palatino text, so I
> cannot do that for the long-term solution.

IIRC, we changed or added the rscale= option for the ss typeface,
this is probably the cause (new font size is 1.075 times the old size)

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: backward-incompatible behavior of Palatino and modern
@ 2008-12-09 17:36   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2008-12-09 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> IIRC, we changed or added the rscale= option for the ss typeface,
> this is probably the cause (new font size is 1.075 times the old size)

Ah, that sounds like the cause.  In the old file, I used 50.7pt with
\ss\bfd to almost exactly span the line.  In the new file, to exactly
span the line required 46.902pt with \ss\bfd.  The ratio of the two
point sizes is 1.081.

Thanks,
-Sanjoy

`Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always
 glorify the hunters.'  --African Proverb