* framed float with offset
@ 2011-01-01 15:53 Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2011-01-01 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Is there a way to have figures placed on a slightly larger colored
background and then have paragraph text flow around the enlarged area?

I tried the following (using ver 2009.11.26 16:28 MKII):

\setupcolors[state=start]
\starttext
\placefigure[right,none]{}%
{\externalfigure[sample/cow.pdf]%
                [scale=500,
                 frame=on, frameoffset=20pt,
                 framecolor=black,
                 background=color, backgroundcolor=lightgray,
                 backgroundoffset=20pt]}

\input knuth
\stoptext

But the frame and background bleed into the text.

I tried wrapping the externalfigure in a \framed, and also wrapping that
in an \vbox or an \hbox (desperate measures, I admit).  But somehow the
\placefigure always knew exactly the size of the cow itself and used
only that information, rather than the size of the enlarged background.

Any suggestions appreciated.  (I'd wikify in the framed section.)

-Sanjoy

* Re: framed float with offset
@ 2011-01-01 16:36 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-01-01 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@olin.edu> writes:

> \starttext
> \placefigure[right,none]{}%
> {\externalfigure[sample/cow.pdf]%
>                 [scale=500,
>                  frame=on, frameoffset=20pt,
>                  framecolor=black,
>                  background=color, backgroundcolor=lightgray,
>                  backgroundoffset=20pt]}
>
> \input knuth
> \stoptext
>
> But the frame and background bleed into the text.

Hello Sanjoy,

\starttext
\placefigure[right]{Problem: offset=20pt ignored here!}
            {\externalfigure[sample/cow.pdf]
              [scale=500, frame=on, offset=20pt,
                background=color, backgroundcolor=lightgray]}
\input knuth

\placefigure[right]{This is ok!}{\framed[offset=20pt, background=color,
    backgroundcolor=lightgray]{\externalfigure[sample/cow.pdf][scale=500]}}
\input knuth
\stoptext

Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: framed float with offset
@ 2011-01-02  1:53   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2011-01-02  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter,

> \placefigure[right]{This is ok!}{\framed[offset=20pt,
>     background=color,
>     backgroundcolor=lightgray]{\externalfigure[sample/cow.pdf][scale=500]}}
> \input knuth

Ah, I had tried almost that recipe (of wrapping the \externalfigure in a
\framed) but had used backgroundoffset and frameoffset.  Yours works
perfectly.  I wikified the recipe at

<http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Using_Graphics>

-Sanjoy

`Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always
 glorify the hunters.'  --African Proverb