* format generation -- again!
@ 2006-05-26 20:18 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-05-26 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I just hit a snag in generating formats with --make --all. It works
flawlessly on my computers running Mac OS X or linux, but ALan Bowen
has a problem where .pat files with Unicode characters aren't
recognized:

(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/lang-us.hyp)
language        : patterns agr for agr loaded (n=24,e=agr,m=agr)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
! Nonletter.
\rawcharacter ...r\or   \or
\or
     \or
\or     \or
                                                   \or \or \or \or
\or \...
l.37 α2Ϊ
           1
?

I compared the cont-en.log of our computers; the only real difference
is the beginning:

My log:
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.0-beta-20060213 (Web2C 7.5.5)
(INITEX)  26 MAY 2006 19:42
entering extended mode
\write18 enabled.
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/natural.tcx)
***cont-en
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/cont-en.tex
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/context.tex
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/syst-pln.tex

Alan's log:
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) (INITEX)
24 MAY 2006 06:40
entering extended mode
***cont-en.ini
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/config/cont-en.ini
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/cont-en.tex
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/context.tex
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/syst-pln.tex

Both have the latest release. So the only difference that really
could matter:
1. older version of pdf(e)tex;
2. natural.tcx is not called.

Can anybody help? I'm unable to reproduce the problem here; I can
generate formats both with texmfstart texexec --make --all and with
fmtutil-sys --byfmt cont-en.

Best

Thomas

* Re: format generation -- again!
@ 2006-05-26 21:12 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <9C5D181C-7C55-4340-8B36-B825A67D6228@princeton.edu>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-26 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Alan's log:
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) (INITEX)
> 24 MAY 2006 06:40
> entering extended mode
> ***cont-en.ini
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/config/cont-en.ini
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/cont-en.tex
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/context.tex
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/syst-pln.tex
>
> Both have the latest release. So the only difference that really
> could matter:
> 1. older version of pdf(e)tex;

no problem here
> 2. natural.tcx is not called.

probably the problem
> Can anybody help? I'm unable to reproduce the problem here; I can
> generate formats both with texmfstart texexec --make --all and with
> fmtutil-sys --byfmt cont-en.

i dunno how fmtutil works, but maybe you can pass the -8bit switch to pdftex somehow (or translate-file=natural.tcx)

an alternative is to regenerate the patterns

  ctxtools --pat

will generate them, given that in the meantime the original names/content of pattern sources hasn't changed)

i know from discussion on the tex live list that tetex was ot that fond of being 8 bit clean (all this locale stuff and wanting to have ^^X kind dof output on the terminal) but because context (sometimes) need a round trip 8 bit, i assume an 8 bit clean tex

(btw, fmtutil does not support the engine subpath either - which was reported to be too complex to implement)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: format generation -- again!
       [not found]                 ` <1149085529.25692.22.camel@g5.localnetwork>
@ 2006-06-01 20:23                   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2006-06-01 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using the latest version of Gerben’s i-Installer (expert mode), I
completely erased teTeX,
re-installed the 2005 x86pc version, and then re-installed the latest
ConTeXt.

cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/
grep agr cont-en.log

produces
	encoding        : coding agr is loaded
	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/enco-agr.tex)
	language        : patterns for agr not loaded
	language        : patterns for agr not loaded
and no more, which means that the ancient Greek hyphenation patterns
are not available, though they presumably should be since the files
lang-agr.hyp and
lang-agr.pat are in the right place,
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/.

When I try to regenerate the formats using

sudo ruby /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/scripts/context/ruby/
texmfstart.rb texexec --make --all

I get the error message

language        : patterns agr for agr loaded (n=24,e=agr,m=agr)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
! Nonletter.
\rawcharacter ...r\or   \or
\or
     \or
\or     \or
                                                   \or \or \or \or
\or \...
l.37 α2Ϊ
           1
?

So no Greek hyphenation. I am baffled. And Thomas cannot reproduce
the problem at his end.
So, if anyone has any suggestions they will be gratefully received.

By the way, if it is at all relevant, I am running Mac OS X 10.4.6 on
a Power Mac G4 450 MHz.

Alan

On May 31, 2006, at 10:25 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Alan,
>
> I really have no idea what's wrong there, but it must be a
> misconfiguration on your system. I just double-checked: wiped the
> entire
> TeX installation on my laptop. Reinstalled with Gerben's installer,
> expert mode, texlive 2005. Everything fine. Run Gerben's Context
> updater. I get version 2006-05-28, greek hyphenation is included.
> To be
> sure, I run texmfstart texexec --make --all afterwards, again, formats
> are generated without any problem. That's all I can say: it's not a
> ConTeXt problem and not a problem with Gerben's distribution; for the
> rest, I really can't be of any help because I can't reproduce the
> problem. My only guess would be: see if there's a directory "web2c" in
> your ~/Library/texmf and if there is, try moving it out of the way,
> but
> this is just a far shot.
>
> Good luck
>
> Thomas
>

> On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 06:46 -0400, Alan Bowen wrote:
>> It’s the file I was compiling in making the log from which the
>> excerpt came.
>>
>> Alan

>>> What is this Lautner.tex thing?
>>>
>>> T.

* Re: format generation -- again!
@ 2006-06-01 21:12                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-01 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Bowen wrote:
> [...]
>> expert mode, texlive 2005. Everything fine. Run Gerben's Context
>> updater. I get version 2006-05-28, greek hyphenation is included.
>> To be
>> sure, I run texmfstart texexec --make --all afterwards, again, formats
>> are generated without any problem. That's all I can say: it's not a
>> ConTeXt problem and not a problem with Gerben's distribution; for the
>> rest, I really can't be of any help because I can't reproduce the
>> problem. My only guess would be: see if there's a directory "web2c" in
>> your ~/Library/texmf and if there is, try moving it out of the way,
>> but
>> this is just a far shot.
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Thomas
>>

>> On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 06:46 -0400, Alan Bowen wrote:
>>
>>> It’s the file I was compiling in making the log from which the

it looks like tetex does not use the -8bit switch (to pdfetex) or loads the natural tcx file; (you may try texexec --make instead)

[patterns are now in utf-8 so this is why it show up now, but in fact your installation has never been 8 bit clean upto now]

Hans

* Re: format generation -- again!
@ 2006-06-01 21:39                       ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2006-06-01 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 1, 2006, at 5:12 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Alan Bowen wrote:
>> Using the latest version of Gerben’s i-Installer (expert mode), I
>> completely erased teTeX,
>> re-installed the 2005 x86pc version, and then re-installed the latest
>> ConTeXt.
>>
>> cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/
>> grep agr cont-en.log
>>
>> produces
>> 	encoding        : coding agr is loaded
>> 	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/enco-agr.tex)
>> 	language        : patterns for agr not loaded
>> 	language        : patterns for agr not loaded
>> and no more, which means that the ancient Greek hyphenation patterns
>> are not available, though they presumably should be since the files
>> lang-agr.hyp and
>> lang-agr.pat are in the right place,
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/.
>>
>> When I try to regenerate the formats using
>>
>> sudo ruby /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/scripts/context/ruby/
>> texmfstart.rb texexec --make --all
>>
>> I get the error message
>>
>> language        : patterns agr for agr loaded (n=24,e=agr,m=agr)
>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
>> ! Nonletter.
>> \rawcharacter ...r\or   \or
>> \or
>>      \or
>> \or     \or
>>                                                    \or \or \or \or
>> \or \...
>> l.37 α2Ϊ
>>            1
>> ?
>>
>> So no Greek hyphenation. I am baffled. And Thomas cannot reproduce
>> the problem at his end.
>> So, if anyone has any suggestions they will be gratefully received.
>>
>> By the way, if it is at all relevant, I am running Mac OS X 10.4.6 on
>> a Power Mac G4 450 MHz.
>>
>> Alan
>>
> it looks like tetex does not use the -8bit switch (to pdfetex) or
> loads the natural tcx file; (you may try texexec --make instead)
>
> [patterns are now in utf-8 so this is why it show up now, but in
> fact your installation has never been 8 bit clean upto now]
>
> Hans

Thanks, Hans. I tried
	texexec --make --all
but the regeneration fails as before, with the lines
	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
	! Nonletter.
	\rawcharacter ...r\or   \or
	\or
	    \or
	\or     \or
	                                                  \or \or \or \or
\or \...
	l.37 α2Ϊ
	          1
	?

Does the MacTeX distribution have the same problem?

Alan

* Re: format generation -- again!
@ 2006-06-01 22:11                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-06-01 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Bowen wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2006, at 5:12 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> Alan Bowen wrote:
>>
>>> Using the latest version of Gerben’s i-Installer (expert mode), I
>>> completely erased teTeX,
>>> re-installed the 2005 x86pc version, and then re-installed the latest
>>> ConTeXt.
>>>
>>> cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/
>>> grep agr cont-en.log
>>>
>>> produces
>>> 	encoding        : coding agr is loaded
>>> 	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/enco-agr.tex)
>>> 	language        : patterns for agr not loaded
>>> 	language        : patterns for agr not loaded
>>> and no more, which means that the ancient Greek hyphenation patterns
>>> are not available, though they presumably should be since the files
>>> lang-agr.hyp and
>>> lang-agr.pat are in the right place,
>>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/.
>>>
>>> When I try to regenerate the formats using
>>>
>>> sudo ruby /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/scripts/context/ruby/
>>> texmfstart.rb texexec --make --all
>>>
>>> I get the error message
>>>
>>> language        : patterns agr for agr loaded (n=24,e=agr,m=agr)
>>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
>>> ! Nonletter.
>>> \rawcharacter ...r\or   \or
>>> \or
>>>      \or
>>> \or     \or
>>>                                                    \or \or \or \or
>>> \or \...
>>> l.37 α2Ϊ
>>>            1
>>> ?
>>>
>>> So no Greek hyphenation. I am baffled. And Thomas cannot reproduce
>>> the problem at his end.
>>> So, if anyone has any suggestions they will be gratefully received.
>>>
>>> By the way, if it is at all relevant, I am running Mac OS X 10.4.6 on
>>> a Power Mac G4 450 MHz.
>>>
>>> Alan
>>>

>> it looks like tetex does not use the -8bit switch (to pdfetex) or
>> loads the natural tcx file; (you may try texexec --make instead)
>>
>> [patterns are now in utf-8 so this is why it show up now, but in
>> fact your installation has never been 8 bit clean upto now]
>>
>> Hans
>>

> Thanks, Hans. I tried
> 	texexec --make --all
> but the regeneration fails as before, with the lines
> 	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
> 	! Nonletter.
> 	\rawcharacter ...r\or   \or
> 	\or
> 	    \or
> 	\or     \or
> 	                                                  \or \or \or \or
> \or \...
> 	l.37 α2Ϊ
> 	          1
> 	?
>
> Does the MacTeX distribution have the same problem?

is there a natural.tcx file on your system? and is loading it reported?

in the worst case you can say:

ctxtools --pat

and move the generated pattern files to tex/context/patterns

Hans

* Re: format generation -- again!
@ 2006-06-02 11:27                           ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2006-06-02 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:11 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Alan Bowen wrote:

>>> it looks like tetex does not use the -8bit switch (to pdfetex) or
>>> loads the natural tcx file; (you may try texexec --make instead)
>>>
>>> [patterns are now in utf-8 so this is why it show up now, but in
>>> fact your installation has never been 8 bit clean upto now]
>>>
>>> Hans
>>>

>> Thanks, Hans. I tried
>> 	texexec --make --all
>> but the regeneration fails as before, with the lines
>> 	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/lang-
>> agr.pat
>> 	! Nonletter.
>> 	\rawcharacter ...r\or   \or
>> 	\or
>> 	    \or
>> 	\or     \or
>> 	                                                  \or \or \or \or
>> \or \...
>> 	l.37 α2Ϊ
>> 	          1
>> 	?
>>
>> Does the MacTeX distribution have the same problem?
>>
> is there a natural.tcx file on your system? and is loading it
> reported?
>
> in the worst case you can say:
>
> ctxtools --pat
>
> and move the generated pattern files to tex/context/patterns
>
> Hans

Hans—

There is a natural.tcx in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/
but this is not mentioned in cont-en.log. It is loaded when I compile
a file:
	This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
(format=cont-en 2006.6.1)  1 JUN 2006 07:58
	entering extended mode
	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/natural.tcx)

	**&cont-en 2005-12-03_Lautner.tex
	(./2005-12-03_Lautner.tex

	ConTeXt  ver: 2006.05.28 13:28  fmt: 2006.6.1  int: english  mes:
english

Where does ctxtools --pat generate the files?

Alan

* Re: format generation -- again!
@ 2006-06-02 20:40                             ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2006-06-02 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 2, 2006, at 7:27 AM, Alan Bowen wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:11 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Alan Bowen wrote:

>>> Thanks, Hans. I tried
>>> 	texexec --make --all
>>> but the regeneration fails as before, with the lines
>>> 	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/lang-
>>> agr.pat
>>> 	! Nonletter.
>>> 	\rawcharacter ...r\or   \or
>>> 	\or
>>> 	    \or
>>> 	\or     \or
>>> 	                                                  \or \or \or \or
>>> \or \...
>>> 	l.37 α2Ϊ
>>> 	          1
>>> 	?
>>>
>>> Does the MacTeX distribution have the same problem?
>>>
>> is there a natural.tcx file on your system? and is loading it
>> reported?
>>
>> in the worst case you can say:
>>
>> ctxtools --pat
>>
>> and move the generated pattern files to tex/context/patterns
>>
>> Hans

Hans—

When I tried
	ctxtools --pat
the response was
-bash: ctxtools: command not found

By the way, will the pattern file generated be different from the
ones I already have in

@ 2006-06-02 20:45                               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-06-02 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Alan Bowen wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2006, at 7:27 AM, Alan Bowen wrote:

>>> is there a natural.tcx file on your system? and is loading it
>>> reported?
>>>
>>> in the worst case you can say:
>>>
>>> ctxtools --pat
>>>
>>> and move the generated pattern files to tex/context/patterns
>>>
>>> Hans
>>
> Hansÿÿ
>
> When I tried
> 	ctxtools --pat
> the response was
> -bash: ctxtools: command not found

ctxtools is not in the path. Try
texmfstart ctxtools --pat

Aditya

* Re: format generation -- again!
@ 2006-06-02 21:00                                 ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2006-06-02 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 2, 2006, at 4:45 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Alan Bowen wrote:

>> Hansÿÿ
>>
>> When I tried
>> 	ctxtools --pat
>> the response was
>> -bash: ctxtools: command not found
>
> ctxtools is not in the path. Try
> texmfstart ctxtools --pat
>

> Aditya

Thanks, Aditya. That got it to work.

Alan

* Re: format generation -- again!
@ 2006-06-02 22:21                           ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2006-06-02 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:11 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Alan Bowen wrote:

>>> it looks like tetex does not use the -8bit switch (to pdfetex) or
>>> loads the natural tcx file; (you may try texexec --make instead)
>>>
>>> [patterns are now in utf-8 so this is why it show up now, but in
>>> fact your installation has never been 8 bit clean upto now]
>>>
>>> Hans
>>>

>> Thanks, Hans. I tried
>> 	texexec --make --all
>> but the regeneration fails as before, with the lines
>> 	(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns/lang-
>> agr.pat
>> 	! Nonletter.
>> 	\rawcharacter ...r\or   \or
>> 	\or
>> 	    \or
>> 	\or     \or
>> 	                                                  \or \or \or \or
>> \or \...
>> 	l.37 α2Ϊ
>> 	          1
>> 	?
>>
>> Does the MacTeX distribution have the same problem?
>>
> is there a natural.tcx file on your system? and is loading it
> reported?
>
> in the worst case you can say:
>
> ctxtools --pat
>
> and move the generated pattern files to tex/context/patterns
>
> Hans

Hans, Thomas, and Aditya—

Success!

I ran ctxtools --pat and moved the generated files to
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/patterns

I then ran  texexec --make --all  and then copied the new cont-en.fmt
file from
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/pdfetex
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c

I now have hyphenation for ancient Greek! Life is good again. Many
thanks to you both.

Alan