From: Alan Bowen <acbowen@princeton.edu>
Subject: Re: ConTeXt Minimals on Mac
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:22:59 -0400	[thread overview]

Charles---this is very helpful and much appreciated.

Alan

>> I created a .profile containing the line
>> source ~/path/to/context/tex/setuptex ~/path/to/context/tex
>> and put it in Macintosh HD/Users/alancbowen/Library
>
> OK, the source ~/path/to/context/tex/setuptex ~/path/to/context/tex
> should be the path to YOUR context minimals (the /path/to/blablabla is
> commonly understood among UNIX users as meaning "substitute the path
> my thingy here."
OK
> I know where your TeXshop files are (under your Library dir tree)
> but I
> don't know where the ConTeXt minimals were installed on your
> machine. I
> have not installed minimals because the TeXLive distribution with
> MacTeX
> has served me satisfactorily to date.

As the wiki says, all the required files are in the /Applications/
ConTeXtMinimals folder.

> Please locate the folders context/tex/setuptex and context/tex in the
> place where the minimals install put them. Are they under your home
> dir
> or are they under /usr/local?

I do not seem to have a setuptex folder on my box---at least I have
not been able to find one under either /usr/local or /Users/
alancbowen/. And there certainly is none in /Applications/
ConTeXtMinimals (as seems to be expected).

> Figure out the FULL pathname from root,
> e.g., /usr/local/context/tex/setuptex or whatever it is. Put those
> full
> pathnames into the source line.
>
> Now, your .profile file goes in your home dir, /Users/alancbowen. The
> Bourne-again shell, bash, must find that file in your home dir when
> you
> login.
OK
> /Users/alancbowen is how the UNIX side of OS X sees you, not Macintosh
> HD/Users/alancbowen/Library. That's how Aqua things see you. They both
> work, but UNIX creates a virtual environment off of a root /, that in
> turn has Mac dirs like Applications, Users, and so on. /Users on the
> Mac
> corresponds to /home on other Unix-like systems.
>
> And this brings up a good point.
> With UNIX pathnames, you have two alternatives for spaces in
> pathnames,
> e.g., from your home dir:
> "~/The Directory/and/its leaves"
> ~/The\ Directory/and/its\ leaves