* \widowpenalty=10000 and still a widow line
@ 2013-07-08 12:57 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-07-08 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my environment file, I have

\clubpenalty=10000
\widowpenalty=10000

\setuptolerance[vertical,verystrict]
\setuptolerance[horizontal,tolerant]

and yet on occasion I still get widow lines.Does any one have suggestions
about strategies to remedy this either in general or on a case by case
basis? (I am not sure of how to generate an example of the problem or if
that would even help.)

Alan

* Re: \widowpenalty=10000 and still a widow line
@ 2013-07-08 13:57 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-07-08 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.07.2013 um 14:57 schrieb Alan Bowen <bowenalan03@gmail.com>:

> In my environment file, I have
>
> \clubpenalty=10000
> \widowpenalty=10000
>
> \setuptolerance[vertical,verystrict]
> \setuptolerance[horizontal,tolerant]
>
> and yet on occasion I still get widow lines.Does any one have suggestions about strategies to remedy this either in general or on a case by case basis? (I am not sure of how to generate an example of the problem or if that would even help.)

1. Do the widow lines only appear in certain cases, e.g. after a heading.

2. Use the context way to change the penalties:

\startsetups [mypenalties]

    \setdefaultpenalties

    \setpenalties\widowpenalties{3}{10000} % 3 == number of lines, 10000 == penalty between these 3 lines
    \setpenalties\clubpenalties {3}{10000}

\stopsetups

\setuplayout[setups=mypenalties]

\starttext
…
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: \widowpenalty=10000 and still a widow line
@ 2013-07-08 16:03   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2013-07-08 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)