* Re: problem with a new installation of LMTX
       [not found] <mailman.231.1575790766.1207.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2019-12-08  8:12 ` Jeong Dal
From: Jeong Dal @ 2019-12-08  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: list ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl
	ntg-context@ntg.nl

Dear Hans and Otared,

Thank you again for your attempt to find a solution.

Catalina(MacOS 10.15.1) prohibits an unauthorized program run.
So I have to allow the execution of “mtxrun” manually in the preference.

Since "mtxrun —generate” ends with the message “unknown script mtxrun-context.lua or mtx-mtxrun-context.lua”, I tried to locate it in the finder.
There is one in a folder installed by MacTeX(TeXLive), but not in “ConTeXtLMTX”.

As you said, many files are not copied during the installation.
I’ll try to understand what is going on, but it would be very hard to find a solution by myself.

I have to use old ConTeXt for a while.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

* Re: problem with a new installation of LMTX
@ 2019-12-08  9:48   ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2019-12-08  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08-12-2019 09:12, Jeong Dal wrote:
> Catalina(MacOS 10.15.1) prohibits an unauthorized program run.

There are many ways to solve specific problems.
One approach is to try avoid them in the first place ;-)
So you could consider moving away from MacOS (and Windows).
The problems you describe will become worse over time as most of those
systems are sugar coated surveillance platforms.
Make the move to Linux instead (now that you still can ;-)
FYI ConTeXt works great on Linux (Ubuntu / Pop-OS!)

.F

[-- Attachment #2: pEpkey.asc --]

* Re: problem with a new installation of LMTX
@ 2019-12-08 11:15   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-12-08 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Dalyoung,

I looked again at what is happening when installing LuaMetaTeX under MacOS 10.15.

In fact, even after completely disabling Gatekeeper and SIP (System Integrity Protection), when running

	sh install.sh

if the three files sitting in ~/context-os-64/bin/
	mtx-install.lua
	mtxrun
	mtxrun.lua
are write protected then the installation cannot proceed. And if they are not, they are overwriiten with something with the same names but which are binaries. And if this is the case then the installation does not proceed for some other reasons.
I don't understand why this is the case…

If you can go back to MacOS 10.14 that would be nice, but otherwise as Floris suggests in his response, maybe we have to abandon MacOS in the near future…

Best regards: OK

@ 2019-12-08 12:31 ` Jeong Dal
       [not found]   ` <F146037B-D750-407F-AA4F-37D9410A4F27@gmail.com>
From: Jeong Dal @ 2019-12-08 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: list ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl
	ntg-context@ntg.nl

For test, I  installed again after removing ConTeXtLMTX folder.
But it is same as before.

I looked files in “/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin”.
There are 5 files: context, context.lua, luametatex, mtxrun, mtxrun.lua.
context and mtxrun are symbolic linked to luametatex.
But luametatex is not executable, so I changed it using “chmod 755 luametatex”.
 I run “mtxrun —generate”, then it set variables as follows:

% mtxrun --generate
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/local/texlive/2019/bin/x86_64-darwin'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr/local/texlive/2019/bin'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '/usr/local/texlive/2019'
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXOS' set to 'bin'
resolvers       | resolving |
…….

and do many things in the texlive/2019 folders.

My question is that luametatex is distributed as  an inexecutable form deliberately?

Thank you for reading.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

* Re: problem with a new installation of LMTX
@ 2019-12-08 16:35     ` Alan Braslau
From: Alan Braslau @ 2019-12-08 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 12:15:26 +0100
Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:

> but otherwise as Floris suggests in his response, maybe we have to abandon MacOS in the near future…

No, simply we need to adapt our procedures (installation scripts) to be compatible with MacOS policy.

Alan

* Re: problem with a new installation of LMTX
@ 2019-12-08 17:00       ` Floris van Manen
From: Floris van Manen @ 2019-12-08 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 08/12/2019 17:35, Alan Braslau wrote:
>> but otherwise as Floris suggests in his response, maybe we have to abandon MacOS in the near future…
> No, simply we need to adapt our procedures (installation scripts) to be compatible with MacOS policy.

That is indeed part of the issue: these platforms want You to move away
from the things that worked before and force you into closed areas
that'll make you depend on them. Its a pattern and a waste of energy
that could be better spend...
(but one cannot force people to their luck ;-)

.F

[-- Attachment #2: pEpkey.asc --]

* Re: problem with a new installation of LMTX
@ 2019-12-08 20:02       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2019-12-08 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 at 17:35, Alan Braslau wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 12:15:26 +0100
> Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > but otherwise as Floris suggests in his response, maybe we have to abandon MacOS in the near future…
>
> No, simply we need to adapt our procedures (installation scripts) to be compatible with MacOS policy.

One way that (still?) works is using rsync instead of fetching via http.
One very simple way to quickly offer a working solution would be to
offer the installer via rsync.

Adapting our procedures to meet Apple's security requirements would
take quite some effort (as well as paying a fee to Apple) to set up
the automatism and send all binaries for notarization.

See
    https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb40-2/tb125koch-harden.pdf
for an extensive description of what approximately is needed.
But note that the article's author needs to perform this roughly once
per year (that's very far from actually being one-off task as there
are many rounds to do), while we would need to make it work on regular
basis (ideally fully automated). And MacTeX already comes as an
official installer (pkg), while we don't have any app wrapper for
ConTeXt yet.

But in any case we need to wikify the procedure for LMTX. I thought
someone described a working workaround not that long ago? (I'm not
sure who, but searching for Catalina should provide some hits.)

Mojca

@ 2019-12-09  1:03     ` Jeong Dal
       [not found]       ` <35D60F4E-5B50-43AA-9934-A1BF52FF68B2@gmail.com>
From: Jeong Dal @ 2019-12-09  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otared Kavian
  Cc: list ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl
	ntg-context@ntg.nl

Dear Otared,

Thank you for the zip file.
I downloaded it and copied it in a folder.
(There is no context-cache folder in the zip file)
In the terminal, I run “mtxrun —generate” and “context —make”.
But system doesn’t allow the execution of “luametatex”.
So I open the system preference:security part, and clear and allow the running “luametatex”.
But the system hinders “luametatex” continuously.

I have to ask about it to MAC service first to resolve this problem.
If it is not working after the resolve security problem, I may go back to previous version of OSX.
I’ll let you know the progress.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

> 2019. 12. 9. 오전 6:34, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> 작성:
>
> Dear Dalyoung,
>
> I made a zip file of the context-osx-64 tree on my machine, and put it on Dropbox
> 	https://www.dropbox.com/s/6isogxi78fwp1se/context-osx-64.zip?dl=0
> for you: you can try to install it on your Mac running MacOS 10.15 Catalina. Could you please tell me if you succeed to implement the procedure I described in the other email?
>
> Best regards: OK
>
>> On 8 Dec 2019, at 13:31, Jeong Dal <haksan@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> For test, I  installed again after removing ConTeXtLMTX folder.
>> But it is same as before.
>>
>> I looked files in “/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin”.
>> There are 5 files: context, context.lua, luametatex, mtxrun, mtxrun.lua.
>> context and mtxrun are symbolic linked to luametatex.
>> But luametatex is not executable, so I changed it using “chmod 755 luametatex”.
>> I run “mtxrun —generate”, then it set variables as follows:
>>
>> % mtxrun --generate
>> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC' set to '/usr/local/texlive/2019/bin/x86_64-darwin'
>> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/usr/local/texlive/2019/bin'
>> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '/usr/local/texlive/2019'
>> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to ''
>> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXMF' set to ''
>> resolvers       | resolving | variable 'TEXOS' set to 'bin'
>> resolvers       | resolving |
>> …….
>>
>> and do many things in the texlive/2019 folders.
>>
>> My question is that luametatex is distributed as  an inexecutable form deliberately?
>>
>> Thank you for reading.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Dalyoung

* Re: problem with a new installation of LMTX: Solved!
       [not found]         ` <97B7FB7E-AF9A-478E-BD68-A01E988E4FF0@me.com>
@ 2019-12-09 14:57           ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-12-09 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Dalyoung,

Thank you for the good news!
Now I will add  to the wiki the procedure I described, which you followed, but we have to find a way for people to get a zip file containing a complete tree of LuaMetaTeX which can be installed « by hand » under MacOS 10.15 Catalina.
Maybe Hans or Mojca have a suggestion in this regard.

Best regards: OK