* languagespecifics
@ 2011-11-04  9:11 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-11-04  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt users

Hello,

Is there something like \startlanguagespecifics[fr] ... \stoplanguagespecifics
in mkiv?

Does it make sense, to keep the module t-french.tex? I would like to
integrate \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation] everywhere (text,
headers, footers and so on), but when a user loads the module and
changes settings for headers or footers afterwards, that setting would
be overwritten.

Thus, if there are no methods, to do such things, I would drop the
module and french specific settings have to be set up on a per document
basis.

What do you think?

--
           Peter

* Re: languagespecifics
@ 2011-11-04 13:29 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-04 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4-11-2011 10:11, Peter Münster wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there something like \startlanguagespecifics[fr] ... \stoplanguagespecifics
> in mkiv?
>
> Does it make sense, to keep the module t-french.tex? I would like to
> integrate \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation] everywhere (text,
> headers, footers and so on), but when a user loads the module and
> changes settings for headers or footers afterwards, that setting would
> be overwritten.
>
> Thus, if there are no methods, to do such things, I would drop the
> module and french specific settings have to be set up on a per document
> basis.
>
> What do you think?

I'll add a setups option ...

\startsetups dutch:cow
     \externalfigure[cow.pdf][frame=on]
\stopsetups

\setuplanguage[nl][setups=dutch:cow]

\starttext

test\language[dutch]test

\stoptext

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: languagespecifics
@ 2011-11-05 12:49   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-11-05 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 04 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:

> I'll add a setups option ...

Thanks! Will there also be a possibility to reset settings, when leaving
a language? I had used this before:

\appendtoks \setcharacterspacing[reset] \to \everyresetlanguagespecifics

--
           Peter

* Re: languagespecifics
@ 2011-11-06 11:47     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-11-06 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5-11-2011 13:49, Peter Münster wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> I'll add a setups option ...
>
> Thanks! Will there also be a possibility to reset settings, when leaving
> a language? I had used this before:
>
> \appendtoks \setcharacterspacing[reset] \to \everyresetlanguagespecifics

the reset issue is the reason why there is no mechanism yet ... your
example is an an indication of this: it would reset globally set spacing

on the other hand, when you switch language, it will normally happen
grouped so settings are local then

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: languagespecifics
@ 2011-11-06 19:40       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-11-06 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 06 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:

> the reset issue is the reason why there is no mechanism yet ... your example
> is an an indication of this: it would reset globally set spacing
>
> on the other hand, when you switch language, it will normally happen grouped
> so settings are local then

Requiring grouping is good, but it would not solve this specific case:
the mainlanguage is a global setting.

Something like "\setuplanguage[all, !fr][setups=not-french]" would help,
that means setups for all languages but French. Or just \setuplanguage[all][...].

Test file:

%% Future t-french.tex:
\startsetups french
  \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation]
  % other French specific settings
\stopsetups
\startsetups not-french
  \setcharacterspacing[reset]
  % cancel other French specific settings
\stopsetups
\setuplanguage [all] [setups=not-french]
\setuplanguage [fr]  [setups=french]
\mainlanguage  [fr]

%% Document:
\usemodule[french]
\starttext
test: test\par
\start
  \language[en]
  test: test\par
\stop
test: test
\stoptext

           Peter

* Re: languagespecifics
@ 2011-11-06 19:49         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-11-06 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 06.11.2011 um 20:40 schrieb Peter Münster:

> On Sun, Nov 06 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> the reset issue is the reason why there is no mechanism yet ... your example
>> is an an indication of this: it would reset globally set spacing
>>
>> on the other hand, when you switch language, it will normally happen grouped
>> so settings are local then
>
> Requiring grouping is good, but it would not solve this specific case:
> the mainlanguage is a global setting.
>
> Something like "\setuplanguage[all, !fr][setups=not-french]" would help,
> that means setups for all languages but French. Or just \setuplanguage[all][…].

There is \setuplanguage[default][..,.=.,..].

Wolfgang