* \startquotation and citations
@ 2011-05-23 13:39 Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2011-05-23 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I'm struggling with quotation blocks and proper placing of citations… In an ideal world I'd be striving for something like this:

\startquotation[source=…]
    \input tufte
\stopquotation

where … could be either of:

1. a simple string: {Edward Tufte},
2. a citation command: \cite[Tuf:yyyy]
3. a footnote: \footnote{See \cite[Tuf:yyyy]}

This should be typeset immediately after the closing delimiter and well before \stopnarrower.

In the real world (and with a deadline approaching rapidly) I've tried two approaches so far:

1. A hack dating back three years which bypasses the delimitedtext mechanism.

---
\long\def\startextendedquotation[#1]#2\stopextendedquotation
	{\bgroup\par
	 \blank[halfline]
	 \startnarrower[4em]
	 \symbol[leftquotation]%
	 #2\removeunwantedspaces
	 \symbol[rightquotation]#1
	 \stopnarrower
	 \blank[halfline]
	 \par\egroup}

\starttext

\input tufte

\startextendedquotation[\footnote{See Tufte…}]
    \input tufte
\stopextendedquotation

\input tufte

\stoptext
---

Here the footnote actually appears, however, the beginning of the quotation looks weird (and setting up margins etc. is a bit messy).

2. Another hack which employs delimitedtext but abuses its closing delimiter option:

---
\setupdelimitedtext
    [quotation]
    [leftmargin=4em,
     rightmargin=4em,
     spacebefore=halfline,
     spaceafter=halfline]

\starttext

\input tufte

\bgroup
\setupdelimitedtext
    [quotation]
    [right={\symbol[rightquotation]\footnote{See Tufte…}}]
\startquotation
    \input tufte
\stopquotation
\egroup

\input tufte

\stoptext
---

This approach places the opening delimiter nicely in the margin of the quotation block but sadly swallows the footnote (ordinary strings seem fine though).

How to combine the looks of 2 with the footnotes of 1?

Many thanks,
Oliver

* Re: \startquotation and citations
@ 2011-05-23 15:18 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-23 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.05.2011 um 15:39 schrieb Oliver Buerschaper:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm struggling with quotation blocks and proper placing of citations… In an ideal world I'd be striving for something like this:
>
> \startquotation[source=…]
>    \input tufte
> \stopquotation
>
> where … could be either of:
>
> 1. a simple string: {Edward Tufte},
> 2. a citation command: \cite[Tuf:yyyy]
> 3. a footnote: \footnote{See \cite[Tuf:yyyy]}
>
> This should be typeset immediately after the closing delimiter and well before \stopnarrower.

\usemodule[annotation]

\definenarrower
  [NarrowQuotation]
  [middle=4em]

\define[2]\QuotationCommand
  {\startNarrowQuotation
   “#2”\annotationparameter{source}%
   \stopNarrowQuotation}

\defineannotation
  [extendedquotation]
  [alternative=command,
       command=\QuotationCommand,
   spacebefore=halfline]

\starttext

\input tufte

\startextendedquotation[source=\footnote{See Tufte …}]
\input tufte
\stopextendedquotation

\input tufte

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: \startquotation and citations
@ 2020-03-26 15:02     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-03-26 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Guravage schrieb am 26.03.2020 um 15:31:
> Thank you Wolfgang,
>
> Now is there a way to persuade the quotation marks to protrude?

You can either enable hanging punctuation for the bodyfont (which is
done with \definefontfeature and \setupalign) or put the quotation mark
in a box and move it to the left (which can be done with \llap)

%\definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality]
\definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=punctuation]

\setupalign[hanging]

\showframe[text][text]

\starttext

xxx

“xxx”

\dontleavehmode\llap{“}xxx”

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: \startquotation and citations
@ 2020-03-26 14:31   ` Michael Guravage
From: Michael Guravage @ 2020-03-26 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Wolfgang,

Now is there a way to persuade the quotation marks to protrude?

Cheers,

Michael

\startsetups[userdata:extendedquotation]
   \startnarrow[]
     “\getinlineuserdata”\userdataparameter{source}
   \stopnarrow
\stopsetups

\defineuserdataalternative
   [extendedquotation]
   [renderingsetup=userdata:extendedquotation]

\defineuserdata
   [extendedquotation]
   [alternative=extendedquotation,
    before=\blank,
    after=\blank]

\starttext

\input tufte \blank

\startquotation  %% Quotation marks protrude
  \input tufte
\stopquotation

\startuserdata[extendedquotation][source=\footnote{See Tufte …}]  %%
Quotation marks do not protrude
  \input tufte
\stopuserdata

\stoptext

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 2:56 PM Wolfgang Schuster <
wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Guravage schrieb am 26.03.2020 um 14:29:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I would like to add a citation to a block quotation. Wolfgang proposed a
> > solution
> > <https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg55956.html>back in
> > May 2011. With \star-stopquotation, the left quotation mark protrudes to
> > the left of the text. With Wolfgang's solution, the quotation marks are
> > aligned with the text. For consistency's sake, I need cited and
> > non-cited quotations to appear alike.
> >
> > A lot has changed in the last nine years. Is there a newer way to
> > achieve this behavior?
>
> You can use the userdata environment to create a custom environment with
> optional arguments.
>
> \startsetups[userdata:extendedquotation]
>    \startnarrow[middle=4em]
>    “\getinlineuserdata”\userdataparameter{source}
>    \stopnarrow
> \stopsetups
>
> \defineuserdataalternative
>    [extendedquotation]
>    [renderingsetup=userdata:extendedquotation]
>
> \defineuserdata
>    [extendedquotation]
>    [alternative=extendedquotation,
>     before=\blank,
>     after=\blank]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input tufte
>
> \startuserdata[extendedquotation][source=\footnote{See Tufte …}]
> \input tufte
> \stopuserdata
>
> \input tufte
>
> \stoptext