* inmargin
@ 2007-06-29 15:14 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2007-06-29 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I was thinking that things placed in the margin (\inmargin,\inright,
\inleft) would not take up vertical space, but it seems to do just
that inside an itemize.

Example:

\starttext
\textwidth=4cm
\hairline
%(1)
\startitemize[n,joinedup]
	\item abc
	\item cde
\stopitemize
\hairline
%(2)
% This seems to me the logical place for the remark.
\startitemize[n,joinedup]   \inright{pqr}  % < squeezing spaces does
not help
	\item abc
	\item cde
\stopitemize
\hairline
%(3)
\startitemize[n,joinedup]
% But it has to be placed here to get the result wanted.
	\item abc   \inright{pqr}
	\item cde
\stopitemize
\hairline
\stoptext

I wanted a remark in the right margin logically applying to the
itemize as a whole.
Placing it as in (2) looked the right way, but then the next item is
placed lower on the page. That becomes a problem when a nested
itemize is put there resulting in an empty line at the first
itemmarker. Placing the \inright on the first item of the inner
itemize seems an illogical place to me. It is, of course, not really
problem because trial (3) shows how to avoid this.

Still the question remains if there is some misbehaviour here in
either the code for \inright or for \itemize? Therefore I am pointing
this out just in case it might reveal a more or less subtle bug too
more wiser ConTeXt-brains then mine.

Hans van der Meer