* cross-references between documents in a project (using \useexternaldocument)
@ 2015-08-05 12:15 talazem
From: talazem @ 2015-08-05 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I am trying to create cross references between two documents in my project. Links between the two are successfully made, but the actual page numbers are not being printed (which, for my purposes, are what I actually need, not links). Am I doing something wrong, or is this a known bug (such that I should cease my attempts)? Is \useexternaldocument the wrong command for this purpose? Minimum example files below:

% project
\project project_xref
\startproduct prd_xref
\component xref1
\component xref2
\stopproduct

% product
\startproject project_xref
\environment env_xref
\product prd_xref
\stopproject

% environment
\startenvironment env_xref
\setupinteraction
  [state=start,
   style=,
   color=blue,
   contrastcolor=,
   menu=on,
   title=Cross referencing Test File,
   author=Gerard Verhaag]
\stopenvironment

% component1 [xref1]
\project project_xref
\startcomponent xref1
\starttext
\chapter[cross]{Cross referencing}
\chapter[lorem]{Lorem}
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[lorem].
\stoptext
\stopcomponent

% component2 [xref2]
\project project_xref
\startcomponent xref2
\useexternaldocument[xrf][xref1]
\starttext
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit \in{Chapter}[xrf::lorem].
\stoptext
\stopcomponent

All the best,
Talal

* Re: cross-references between documents in a project (using \useexternaldocument)
@ 2015-08-06 17:00 ` talazem
From: talazem @ 2015-08-06 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perhaps I might ask a more preliminary question: when using project structure, is cross-document referencing possible between two product files, or only between two component files within a single product file?

Kind regards,
Talal

@ 2015-08-10 20:33   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-08-10 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> talazem@fastmail.fm <mailto:talazem@fastmail.fm>
> 6. August 2015 19:00
> Perhaps I might ask a more preliminary question: when using project
> structure, is cross-document referencing possible between two product
> files, or only between two component files within a single product file?
You can create hyperlinks between different products and your example (I
slightly modified it) works as expected with MkII where I get the
chapter number in the links.

The missing numbers with MkIV can be a bug or not yet implemented.

Wolfgang

* Re: cross-references between documents in a project (using \useexternaldocument)
@ 2015-08-11  9:00     ` talazem
From: talazem @ 2015-08-11  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans, it would be great to have the numbers appearing again sometime in the future (if it is a bug or a not-yet implemented feature indeed). I couldn’t find anything in the documentation suggesting not to structure things this way.

Best wishes,
Talal

@ 2015-08-11  9:48       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-08-11  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 8/11/2015 11:00 AM, talazem@fastmail.fm wrote:
> Hans, it would be great to have the numbers appearing again sometime in
> the future (if it is a bug or a not-yet implemented feature indeed). I
> couldn’t find anything in the documentation suggesting not to structure
> things this way.

i have no clue what you're talking about

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-08-11  9:59         ` talazem
From: talazem @ 2015-08-11  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for not being clear. The original question was whether cross-referencing in a project can only be done between components, or if they can also be done between products. I could never get the latter to work.

Wolfgang confirmed that in MkII, intra-product cross-referencing works (even with the examples I had posted),but not in MkIV. He speculated that the numbers in the references were not appearing in MkIV due to a bug, or because the feature was not implemented.

Best wishes,
Talal

@ 2015-09-08 19:04         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-09-08 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hans Hagen <mailto:pragma@wxs.nl>
> 11. August 2015 11:48
>

> i have no clue what you're talking about
There is a bug in the reference mechanism between documents.

When you produce a PDF from the attached documents you can use the
hyperlinks to jump to the chapter page in the other document but no
information is printed because the information with the section number,
page number or title isn’t loaded (can be seen in the tracker
information in the log).

Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: one.tex --]

[-- Attachment #3: two.tex --]

* Re: cross-references between documents in a project (using \useexternaldocument)
@ 2015-09-08 23:43           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-09-08 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

>> Hans Hagen <mailto:pragma@wxs.nl>
>> 11. August 2015 11:48
>>

>> i have no clue what you're talking about
> There is a bug in the reference mechanism between documents.

not so much a bug but the current mechanism assumes a project/component
struture

i'll see if i can catch the non structured variant

> When you produce a PDF from the attached documents you can use the
> hyperlinks to jump to the chapter page in the other document but no
> information is printed because the information with the section number,
> page number or title isn’t loaded (can be seen in the tracker
> information in the log).
>
> Wolfgang

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-09-09  9:50             ` Jens Bertram
From: Jens Bertram @ 2015-09-09  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 09.09.2015 01:43, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 9/8/2015 9:04 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>> Hans Hagen <mailto:pragma@wxs.nl>
>>> 11. August 2015 11:48
>>>

>>> i have no clue what you're talking about
>> There is a bug in the reference mechanism between documents.
>
> not so much a bug but the current mechanism assumes a project/component
> struture

Hi,
I'm also struggeling with cross-referencing in a project/component
layout. I attached a minimal example that resembles the layout I use.
If you compile xr-prod1 and xr-prod2 all cross-references are simply empty.

I looked at the lua code to see if I'm able to fix it myself and
stumbled over the 'identify_inner(set,var,prefix,collected,derived)'
function in strc-ref.lua (at around line 1396 in MKVI from 2015.09.04
11:00). It look like identify_inner gets sometimes called with 'prefix'
set to nil while 'derived' is also undefined (at 1493 and 1514). If I
get the program flow right this looks suspicious, as it always retuns
'false' from 'identify_inner'. If I add 'prefix = prefix or ""' to
'identify_inner' I actually get references printed in the test case.
However the links are not working and for the figure the section number
is wrong.

Finally looking at the uncompressed PDF I can see that references are
set not prefixed in xr-prod2.pdf (i.e. link to 'plain'), but are
prefixed in xr-prod1.pdf (anchor is 'xr-comp1-1:plain').

Maybe these informations can help in resolving the issue. :)

> i'll see if i can catch the non structured variant
>
>> When you produce a PDF from the attached documents you can use the
>> hyperlinks to jump to the chapter page in the other document but no
>> information is printed because the information with the section number,
>> page number or title isn’t loaded (can be seen in the tracker
>> information in the log).
>>
>> Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: xr-proj.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 360 bytes --]

\enabletrackers[
	system.jobfiles,
	structures.referencing,
	structures.referencing.importing,
	structures.referencing.identifying]
\setupinteraction[state=start]
\useexternaldocument[xr1][xr-prod1][XR Product One]
\useexternaldocument[xr2][xr-prod2][XR Product Two]
\nopdfcompression

\startproject xr-proj
	\product xr-prod1
	\product xr-prod2
\stopproject

[-- Attachment #3: xr-comp2-1.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 445 bytes --]

\startcomponent xr-comp2-1
	\starttext
		plain\\
		ABOUT: \about[xr1::plain]\\
		IN: \in[xr1::plain]\\
		AT: \at[xr1::plain]
		\\\\
		page2\\
		ABOUT: \about[xr1::pagetwo]\\
		IN: \in[xr1::pagetwo]\\
		AT: \at[xr1::pagetwo]
		\\\\
		figone\\
		ABOUT: \about[xr1::figone]\\
		IN: \in[xr1::figone]\\
		AT: \at[xr1::figone]
		\\\\
		figtwo\\
		ABOUT: \about[xr1::figtwo]\\
		IN: \in[xr1::figtwo]\\
		AT: \at[xr1::figtwo]
	\stoptext
\stopcomponent

[-- Attachment #4: xr-comp1-1.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 866 bytes --]

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\startcomponent xr-comp1-1
	\startchapter[reference=plain, title={Plain chapter}]
		Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
	\stopchapter
	\page
	\startchapter[reference=pagetwo, title={Plain chapter page two}]
		Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
		\startsection[reference=secwithpic, title={Section with image}]
			\startplacefigure[reference=figone, title={Figure 1}]
				\externalfigure[cow.pdf]
			\stopplacefigure
		\stopsection
	\stopchapter

	\startchapter[reference=chaptwo, title={Plain chapter two}]
		Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
		\startsection[reference=sectwowithpic, title={Section chap2 with image}]
			\startplacefigure[reference=figtwo, title={Figure 2}]
				\externalfigure[cow.pdf]
			\stopplacefigure
		\stopsection
	\stopchapter
\stopcomponent

[-- Attachment #5: xr-prod1.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 77 bytes --]

\project xr-proj
\startproduct xr-prod1
	\component xr-comp1-1
\stopproduct

[-- Attachment #6: xr-prod2.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 77 bytes --]

\project xr-proj
\startproduct xr-prod2
	\component xr-comp2-1
\stopproduct

* Re: cross-references between documents in a project (using \useexternaldocument)
@ 2015-09-09 11:51             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-09-09 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)