* looking for volunteer to create a ConTeXt ad (220x250 px)
@ 2011-10-27 13:06 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-10-27 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any volunteer to create an image with add for
contextgarden.net, 220x250 pixels big?

See
    <http://meta.tex.stackexchange.com/questions/1184/community-promotion-ads-1h-2011>
for examples.

Mojca

* Re: looking for volunteer to create a ConTeXt ad (220x250 px)
@ 2011-10-27 15:33 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-10-27 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-10-27 um 15:06 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> Is there any volunteer to create an image with add for
> contextgarden.net, 220x250 pixels big?
>
> See
>   <http://meta.tex.stackexchange.com/questions/1184/community-promotion-ads-1h-2011
> >
> for examples.

Grrr, I’d like to smash/downvote/flame that horrible uppercase-gothic
CTAN ad, but I don’t have the privileges...
Some others are really bad, too.

Ok, here are my own designs, you may find them no better. I don’t have
upload permissions.
The photo of the first one is by Dieter Schütz (pixelio.de), my
request for the necessary permissions is still open.

Since the pics are some bytes too big, I uploaded them to the garden:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/File:garden1.png
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/File:garden2.png

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: looking for volunteer to create a ConTeXt ad (220x250 px)
@ 2011-10-27 16:31   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-10-27 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2011-10-27 um 15:06 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> Is there any volunteer to create an image with add for
>> contextgarden.net, 220x250 pixels big?
>>
>> See
>>  <http://meta.tex.stackexchange.com/questions/1184/community-promotion-ads-1h-2011>
>> for examples.
>
> Grrr, I’d like to smash/downvote/flame that horrible uppercase-gothic CTAN
> ad, but I don’t have the privileges...
> Some others are really bad, too.
>
> Ok, here are my own designs, you may find them no better. I don’t have upload
> permissions.
> The photo of the first one is by Dieter Schütz (pixelio.de), my request for
> the necessary permissions is still open.
>
> Since the pics are some bytes too big, I uploaded them to the garden:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/File:garden1.png
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/File:garden2.png

Personally, I am not a big fan of garden based analogy. I think that the
advertisement should be of ConTeXt (with link to context garden) rather
than of Contextgarden.

My vote is for something alone the lines of this year's graphic for the
context meeting.

Aditya

* Re: looking for volunteer to create a ConTeXt ad (220x250 px)
@ 2011-10-27 17:29     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-10-27 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27-10-2011 18:31, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> My vote is for something alone the lines of this year's graphic for the
> context meeting.

Attached. Maybe I should commission Duane for a couple of small context
lions so that we have some variation. Or we could build a collection
(each conference an extra one).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

[-- Attachment #2: context-2011.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 27002 bytes --]

* Re: looking for volunteer to create a ConTeXt ad (220x250 px)
@ 2011-10-27 17:40       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-10-27 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I meant this one: http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2011/website.png

> Maybe I should commission Duane for a couple of small context lions
> so that we have some variation. Or we could build a collection (each
> conference an extra one).

That will be great.

Aditya

* Re: looking for volunteer to create a ConTeXt ad (220x250 px)
@ 2011-10-27 18:59         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-10-27 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 19:40, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> On 27-10-2011 18:31, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>>> My vote is for something alone the lines of this year's graphic for the
>>> context meeting.
>>
>> Attached.
>
> I meant this one: http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2011/website.png

Looking and comparing all the different proposals ...

I like the design by Hraban a lot, but the problem is that when a
LaTeX user comes to the site and sees an advertisment for a garden,
with a photo of garden and CTOETNT title, he has absolutely no idea
what the advertisment is about. My first association would be some
gardening tools. Even though it is visually nice, I would probably not
click on it unless I was interested in flowers.

The attachment by Hans is very nice, but doesn't tell anything, while
the picture of a castle is really nice and does tell some story even
to someone unfamiliar with ConTeXt: MathML, Metapost, XML, Lua, ...

The only remaining problem is photoshoping the image to remove 2011
and Belgium if we want to create a generic add.

@ 2011-10-28 13:23           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-10-28 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-10-27 um 18:31 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
> Personally, I am not a big fan of garden based analogy. I think that
> the advertisement should be of ConTeXt (with link to context garden)
> rather than of Contextgarden.

Mojca asked for a contextgarden ad, not a generic ConTeXt ad.

Am 2011-10-27 um 20:59 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> I like the design by Hraban a lot, but the problem is that when a
> LaTeX user comes to the site and sees an advertisment for a garden,
> with a photo of garden and CTOETNT title, he has absolutely no idea
> what the advertisment is about. My first association would be some
> gardening tools. Even though it is visually nice, I would probably not
> click on it unless I was interested in flowers.

I thought the advertising would only appear on a TeX related site.
Perhaps my use of Zapf Dingbats wasn’t typographical enough.
But I don’t insist. Just delete my files on the garden.

> The attachment by Hans is very nice, but doesn't tell anything, while
> the picture of a castle is really nice and does tell some story even
> to someone unfamiliar with ConTeXt: MathML, Metapost, XML, Lua, ...
>
> The only remaining problem is photoshoping the image to remove 2011
> and Belgium if we want to create a generic add.

Here you are:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/File:context_castle_2011.png

@ 2011-10-28 13:33       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-10-28 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-10-27 um 19:29 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 27-10-2011 18:31, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>> My vote is for something alone the lines of this year's graphic for
>> the
>> context meeting.
>
> Attached. Maybe I should commission Duane for a couple of small
> context lions so that we have some variation. Or we could build a
> collection (each conference an extra one).

I retouched this one, too:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/File:context_knight_2011.png

@ 2011-10-28 13:47             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-10-28 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 15:23, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2011-10-27 um 18:31 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>>
>> Personally, I am not a big fan of garden based analogy. I think that the
>> advertisement should be of ConTeXt (with link to context garden) rather than
>> of Contextgarden.
>
> Mojca asked for a contextgarden ad, not a generic ConTeXt ad.
>

> Am 2011-10-27 um 20:59 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> I like the design by Hraban a lot, but the problem is that when a
>> LaTeX user comes to the site and sees an advertisment for a garden,
>> with a photo of garden and CTOETNT title, he has absolutely no idea
>> what the advertisment is about. My first association would be some
>> gardening tools. Even though it is visually nice, I would probably not
>> click on it unless I was interested in flowers.
>
> I thought the advertising would only appear on a TeX related site.
> Perhaps my use of Zapf Dingbats wasn’t typographical enough.
> But I don’t insist. Just delete my files on the garden.
>
>> The attachment by Hans is very nice, but doesn't tell anything, while
>> the picture of a castle is really nice and does tell some story even
>> to someone unfamiliar with ConTeXt: MathML, Metapost, XML, Lua, ...
>>
>> The only remaining problem is photoshoping the image to remove 2011
>> and Belgium if we want to create a generic add.
>
> Here you are:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/File:context_castle_2011.png

Thank you very much, I added it to SX, feel free to vote:
     <http://meta.tex.stackexchange.com/questions/1184/community-promotion-ads-1h-2011>

I'm missing a clear message to the user, but I'm not sure what that
could be. I only wrote "ConTeXt" for "mouse over". Suggestions for
better text are welcome.

Mojca

PS: It is a pitty that Taco didn't send you the original high
resolution before you started, but this one is just fine. I have
chosen to do exact 0.5x magnification in order to avoid weird
artifacts, so one foot is missing now :) Something is missing in the
part where 2011 was written, but well ... we will figure something
out. I can still edit the post.

* Re: looking for volunteer to create a ConTeXt ad (220x250 px)
@ 2011-10-28 14:34               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-10-28 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-10-2011 15:47, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> PS: It is a pitty that Taco didn't send you the original high

The scanning happened here, so I have the several resolution scans on my
machine. On the other hand, you don't want too large images on a wiki
(and there's also the issue of limiting the distribution somewhat in
order to prevent misusage).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-10-28 16:07             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-10-28 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> The only remaining problem is photoshoping the image to remove 2011
>> and Belgium if we want to create a generic add.
>
> Here you are:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/File:context_castle_2011.png

Can you add "wiki" in the same style as ConTeXt from the space where
"2011" was removed?

Aditya

* Re: looking for volunteer to create a ConTeXt ad (220x250 px)
@ 2011-10-28 18:26               ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2011-10-28 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2011-10-28 um 18:07 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

>>> The only remaining problem is photoshoping the image to remove 2011
>>> and Belgium if we want to create a generic add.
>>
>> Here you are:
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/File:context_castle_2011.png
>
> Can you add "wiki" in the same style as ConTeXt from the space where
> "2011" was removed?

No, sorry, I cannot draw.

BTW: The retouched pic wasn’t meant as ad itself, I wanted only to
provide a base for one.
I find Bibby’s style a bit too oldfashioned for ConTeXt or LuaTeX,
even if it might fit TeX or LaTeX.