* Text wrapping in SciTE
@ 2006-01-20  7:13 Hooman Javidnia
From: Hooman Javidnia @ 2006-01-20  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I was wondering what is the correct way of wrapping text while typing in
SciTE. SciTE can wrap the text, but it is basically a virtual wrap, it is
a long line tailored to the view of your editing window. On the other hand
you can wrap the lines yourself by pressing enter wherever you think it is
necessary. Which one of these methods is better? Or maybe there are better
alternatives?

Cheers,

Hooman

* Re: Text wrapping in SciTE
@ 2006-01-20  8:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-20  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hooman Javidnia wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was wondering what is the correct way of wrapping text while typing in
>SciTE. SciTE can wrap the text, but it is basically a virtual wrap, it is
>a long line tailored to the view of your editing window. On the other hand
>you can wrap the lines yourself by pressing enter wherever you think it is
>necessary. Which one of these methods is better? Or maybe there are better
>alternatives?

if you use the properties files that come with context (as well as the
lua script) then you have a justification option as well as spell checking

(justification: the margin is set to the first position in the
selection, which is handy for aligning e.g. itemizations)

Hans

* Re: Text wrapping in SciTE
@ 2006-01-20  8:55 ` Ville Voipio
From: Ville Voipio @ 2006-01-20  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I was wondering what is the correct way of wrapping text while typing in
> SciTE. SciTE can wrap the text, but it is basically a virtual wrap, it is
> a long line tailored to the view of your editing window. On the other hand
> you can wrap the lines yourself by pressing enter wherever you think it is
> necessary. Which one of these methods is better? Or maybe there are better
> alternatives?

I use the "one long line per paragraph" approach. The reason is simple:
it is fairly simple to wrap the lines afterwards. It is far from simple
to unwrap them if you have the hard line breaks. Also, with soft (or
virtual) wrapping you can add or remove text without any hassle.

So, I cannot figure out any common situation where hard formatting would
be significantly better.

Just my two eurocents.

- Ville

* Re: Text wrapping in SciTE
@ 2006-01-20  9:50   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-01-20  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ville Voipio wrote:
>> I was wondering what is the correct way of wrapping text while typing in
>> SciTE. SciTE can wrap the text, but it is basically a virtual wrap, it is
>> a long line tailored to the view of your editing window. On the other
>> hand
>> you can wrap the lines yourself by pressing enter wherever you think
>> it is
>> necessary. Which one of these methods is better? Or maybe there are
>> better
>> alternatives?
>

> I use the "one long line per paragraph" approach. The reason is simple:
> it is fairly simple to wrap the lines afterwards. It is far from simple
> to unwrap them if you have the hard line breaks. Also, with soft (or
> virtual) wrapping you can add or remove text without any hassle.

I normally use hard line breaks, for some reasons:

   * I use 'grep' a lot. grepping long lines is problematic, at best
   * It is easier to comment/uncomment short lines, or to add remarks
   * Editor navigation is somewhat easier. Home/End are not very
     useful for long lines
   * line numbers in TeX warnings and errors make more sense
   * easier to copy and paste to my e-mail client

All very personal preferences, just use what you like best

Cheers, taco

* Re: Text wrapping in SciTE
@ 2006-01-20 12:56     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2006-01-20 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2006-01-20 um 10:50 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:
>   * It is easier to comment/uncomment short lines, or to add remarks

If you need that you can still hard wrap.

>   * Editor navigation is somewhat easier. Home/End are not very
>     useful for long lines

That's only a problem with vi ;-)

>   * line numbers in TeX warnings and errors make more sense

That matters only if you use a lot or markup.

>   * easier to copy and paste to my e-mail client

But only if you use the same line length there.
And it's very inconvenient if you happen to copy to a word processor
or DTP program.

I really hate editors that force their hard wrapping on me.

In most cases I try to let paragraphs in whole (as I'm used to from
other apps).

> All very personal preferences, just use what you like best

Indeed.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---