* \recurselevel inside \bTABLE\eTABLE
@ 2013-03-17 12:00 Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2013-03-17 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG-Context ConTeXt users

Dear all,

I should prepare a form with a table. The table rows should be numbered.

How can I get get this done by using \recurselevel.
In the attached minimal example all rows are numbered with 0.

\starttext
\subject{bTABLE--eTABLE: recurse creates rows}
\bTABLE
	\dorecurse{3}
		{\bTR
			\bTD \recurselevel \eTD
		\eTR}
\eTABLE

What do i do wrongly here?

knd regards

Willi

* Re: \recurselevel inside \bTABLE\eTABLE
@ 2013-03-17 12:21 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2013-03-17 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 13:00:22 +0100
Willi Egger <context@boede.nl> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I should prepare a form with a table. The table rows should be
> numbered.
>
> How can I get get this done by using \recurselevel.
> In the attached minimal example all rows are numbered with 0.
>
> \starttext
> \subject{bTABLE--eTABLE: recurse creates rows}
> \bTABLE
> 	\dorecurse{3}
> 		{\bTR
> 			\bTD \recurselevel \eTD
> 		\eTR}
> \eTABLE
>

> What do i do wrongly here?

\starttext
\subject{bTABLE--eTABLE: recurse creates rows}
\bTABLE
	\dorecurse{3}
		{\bTR
			\bTD #1 \eTD
		\eTR}
\eTABLE
\stoptext

Alan

* Re: \recurselevel inside \bTABLE\eTABLE
@ 2013-03-17 21:17 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-03-17 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.03.2013 um 13:00 schrieb Willi Egger <context@boede.nl>:

> Dear all,
>
> I should prepare a form with a table. The table rows should be numbered.
>
> How can I get get this done by using \recurselevel.
> In the attached minimal example all rows are numbered with 0.
>
> \starttext
> \subject{bTABLE--eTABLE: recurse creates rows}
> \bTABLE
> 	\dorecurse{3}
> 		{\bTR
> 			\bTD \recurselevel \eTD
> 		\eTR}
> \eTABLE
>
> What do i do wrongly here?

You’re doing nothing wrong but you have to expand the value of the counter.

One feature of natural tables is the calculated width of the cells, to do this context stores
the content of all cells in a token register, i.e. context stores \recurselevel as content
of the cell and not the value of the iteration. This content is processed after all cells
have been stored and the \recurselevel macro uses at this moment its default value 0.

To expand the value of the counter use \expanded{…} to force a expansion.

\bTABLE
  \dorecurse{3}{\bTR\bTD\recurselevel\eTD\eTR}
\eTABLE

Wolfgang

* Re: \recurselevel inside \bTABLE\eTABLE
@ 2013-03-17 21:38   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2013-03-17 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 17.03.2013 um 13:00 schrieb Willi Egger <context@boede.nl>:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I should prepare a form with a table. The table rows should be numbered.
>>
>> How can I get get this done by using \recurselevel.
>> In the attached minimal example all rows are numbered with 0.
>>
>> \starttext
>> \subject{bTABLE--eTABLE: recurse creates rows}
>> \bTABLE
>> 	\dorecurse{3}
>> 		{\bTR
>> 			\bTD \recurselevel \eTD
>> 		\eTR}
>> \eTABLE
>>
>> What do i do wrongly here?
>
> You’re doing nothing wrong but you have to expand the value of the counter.
>
> One feature of natural tables is the calculated width of the cells, to do this context stores
> the content of all cells in a token register, i.e. context stores \recurselevel as content
> of the cell and not the value of the iteration. This content is processed after all cells
> have been stored and the \recurselevel macro uses at this moment its default value 0.
>
> To expand the value of the counter use \expanded{…} to force a expansion.
>
> \bTABLE
>  \dorecurse{3}{\bTR\bTD\recurselevel\eTD\eTR}
> \eTABLE

There was a long discussion on this a couple of years back. Summarized
here:

http://randomdeterminism.wordpress.com/2009/03/05/tex-programming-the-past-the-present-and-the-future/

Aditya

* Re: \recurselevel inside \bTABLE\eTABLE
@ 2013-03-17 21:49     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2013-03-17 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you all!

I was trying to find your info Adytia, but failed :-)

Willi

@ 2013-03-17 21:52     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-03-17 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/17/2013 10:38 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Mar 2013, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>

>> Am 17.03.2013 um 13:00 schrieb Willi Egger <context@boede.nl>:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I should prepare a form with a table. The table rows should be numbered.
>>>
>>> How can I get get this done by using \recurselevel.
>>> In the attached minimal example all rows are numbered with 0.
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \subject{bTABLE--eTABLE: recurse creates rows}
>>> \bTABLE
>>>     \dorecurse{3}
>>>         {\bTR
>>>             \bTD \recurselevel \eTD
>>>         \eTR}
>>> \eTABLE
>>>
>>> What do i do wrongly here?
>>
>> You’re doing nothing wrong but you have to expand the value of the
>> counter.
>>
>> One feature of natural tables is the calculated width of the cells, to
>> do this context stores
>> the content of all cells in a token register, i.e. context stores
>> \recurselevel as content
>> of the cell and not the value of the iteration. This content is
>> processed after all cells
>> have been stored and the \recurselevel macro uses at this moment its
>> default value 0.
>>
>> To expand the value of the counter use \expanded{…} to force a expansion.
>>
>> \bTABLE
>>  \dorecurse{3}{\bTR\bTD\recurselevel\eTD\eTR}
>> \eTABLE
>
> There was a long discussion on this a couple of years back. Summarized
> here:
>
> http://randomdeterminism.wordpress.com/2009/03/05/tex-programming-the-past-the-present-and-the-future/

or

\startluacode
   context.bTABLE()
     context.bTR()
       context.bTD()
       context.mathematics("(+)")
       context.eTD()
       for y = 1,6 do
         context.bTD()
           context(y)
         context.eTD()
       end
     context.eTR()
     for x = 1,6 do
       context.bTR()
         context.bTD()
           context(x)
         context.eTD()
         for y = 1,6 do
           context.bTD()
             context(x+y)
           context.eTD()
         end
       context.eTR()
     end
   context.eTABLE()
\stopluacode

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2013-03-17 21:58       ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2013-03-17 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you again!

Sorry for misspelling your name Aditya!

I was surprised, that the solution of Wolfgang does not work, with \expanded{\recurselevel}, though it sounds reasonable. Still all rows are marked 0. Alan's suggestion gives me the desired result.

Hm, I was not yet thinking about using cld... Thank you Hans!

Willi

@ 2013-03-17 22:15   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-03-17 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.03.2013 um 22:17 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>:

> Am 17.03.2013 um 13:00 schrieb Willi Egger <context@boede.nl>:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I should prepare a form with a table. The table rows should be numbered.
>>
>> How can I get get this done by using \recurselevel.
>> In the attached minimal example all rows are numbered with 0.
>>
>> \starttext
>> \subject{bTABLE--eTABLE: recurse creates rows}
>> \bTABLE
>> 	\dorecurse{3}
>> 		{\bTR
>> 			\bTD \recurselevel \eTD
>> 		\eTR}
>> \eTABLE
>>
>> What do i do wrongly here?
>
> You’re doing nothing wrong but you have to expand the value of the counter.
>
> One feature of natural tables is the calculated width of the cells, to do this context stores
> the content of all cells in a token register, i.e. context stores \recurselevel as content
> of the cell and not the value of the iteration. This content is processed after all cells
> have been stored and the \recurselevel macro uses at this moment its default value 0.
>
> To expand the value of the counter use \expanded{…} to force a expansion.
>
> \bTABLE
>  \dorecurse{3}{\bTR\bTD\recurselevel\eTD\eTR}
> \eTABLE

Needs \expanded:

\bTABLE
  \dorecurse{3}{\bTR\expanded{\bTD\recurselevel\eTD}\eTR}
\eTABLE

Wolfgang

* Re: \recurselevel inside \bTABLE\eTABLE
@ 2013-03-19  7:23         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-03-19  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 17.03.2013 um 22:58 schrieb Willi Egger <context@boede.nl>:

> Thank you again!
>
> Sorry for misspelling your name Aditya!
>
> I was surprised, that the solution of Wolfgang does not work, with \expanded{\recurselevel}, though it sounds reasonable. Still all rows are marked 0. Alan's suggestion gives me the desired result.

See my change, you have to put \expanded before \bTD because when you write

  \bTD \expanded{\recurselevel} \eTD

context will store “\expanded{\recurselevel}” which is expanded
after all cells are created and \recurselevel has its default value.

Wolfgang

* Re: \recurselevel inside \bTABLE\eTABLE
@ 2013-03-22 21:12           ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2013-03-22 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

hm, I see, that I did not read your first message correctly. Thank you for pointing me to it!

Willi