From: "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de>
Subject: Re: greek again
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:09:48 +0200	[thread overview]

On Jul 23, 2008, at 11:21 PM, cidadaum@sapo.pt wrote:

> OpenSuse 10.3

If memory serves right, SuSE has a few problems with its TeX setup: http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080320.203129.aec3fb49.en.html

But this is not the problem now.

>> How do you set up TeXLive from the
>> CD?
> Having launched the apropriate file to my architecture (i-386-linux) I
> chose the option R (run from CDwithout installing).
> But now I put back again the texlive from Suse (pity because my disk
> is falling short of space).

That's your problem: you now have several conflicting TeX installations.

>> How do you set up the minimals?
>
> In the shell:
> ~/context/tex/setuptex ~/context/tex
>

>> 2. Run the following commands and tell us the output:
>>
>> echo $PATH
> adsm@adsm:~> echo $PATH
> /opt/kde3/bin:/home/adsm/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/
> X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib/jvm/jre/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/
> usr/lib/mit/sbin

As you can see here, the binaries from the minimals are not in your
PATH.

>> which kpsewhich
> adsm@adsm:~> which kpsewhich
> /usr/bin/kpsewhich

This is a leftover from your SuSE TeX install.

> adsm@adsm:~> kpsewhich -expand-var '$TEXMF'
> {/home/adsm/texmf,!!/etc/texmf,!!/var/lib/texmf,!!/usr/share/
> texmf,!!/usr/local/share/texmf,!!/usr/share/texmf/contrib}

Which means that only the TEXMF-trees of SuSE's installation are found.

>> kpsewhich -expand-var '$TEXINPUTS'
> adsm@adsm:~> kpsewhich -expand-var '$TEXINPUTS'
> :/home/adsm/.TeX:/usr/share/doc/.TeX:/usr/doc/.TeX
>

>> which texhash
> adsm@adsm:~> which texhash
> /usr/bin/texhash
>

>> sudo texhash
>

> adsm@adsm:~> sudo texhash
> Palavra passe:
> texhash: Updating /etc/texmf/ls-R...
> texhash: Updating /usr/share/texmf/../../../var/lib/texmf/db/ls-R...
> texhash: Updating /var/cache/fonts/ls-R...
> texhash: Updating /var/lib/texmf/ls-R...
> texhash: Done.
> adsm@adsm:~>
>

> adsm@adsm:~/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/third/greek> ls
> t-ancientgreek.mkii  t-ancientgreek.tex  type-agr.mkii  type-agr.tex
> t-ancientgreek.mkiv  t-oldgreek.tex      type-agr.mkiv
>

> adsm@adsm:~/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/third/greek>
> ~/context/tex/setuptex ~/context/tex
> Setting "/home/adsm/context/tex" as TEXROOT.
> adsm@adsm:~/context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/third/greek>
> kpsewhere t-ancientgreek.tex
> ./t-ancientgreek.tex
> ./t-ancientgreek.tex
> ./t-ancientgreek.tex

This doesn't mean anything; TeX will always search the current
directory first, that's why the module is found. You have several ways
to proceed:

1. Use the minimals. In that case, you will have to set the directory
which contains the binaries for your platform FIRST in your path
variable. Assuming you are using bash, a command like this should do
this:

PATH="/home/adsm/context/tex/texmf-linux/bin:$PATH"
export PATH

Then, to be sure, run

echo $PATH

again.  If all goes well, you should now see /home/adsm/context/tex/
texmf-linux/bin as first item in your $PATH. The binaries here will be
found first and thus used. Try the commands with "kpsewhere" and
"which" again (the ones in my previous mail). ConTeXt should now be
able to find the module. If this works, we'll tell you how to make
these changes happen automatically at login.

2. Use the SuSE TeX installation. In that case, you'll need to modify
the texmf.cnf that SuSE installs. Possible, but maybe a bit
overwhelming for a newbie, not recommended. (The only advantage is
that in this case, TeX would be controlled by SuSE's package manager,
but since the SuSE team are not overly interested in TeX and don't do
frequent updates, this is not a real advantage.)

3. TeXLive 2008 will be out in a few days. If space is an issue on
your system, you may not want to install it since it's pretty big, but
it's what I use, and it's pretty straightforward. You have almost
everything you'll ever need (ConTeXt, LaTeX, fonts, packages such as
tikz, etc.), and the 2008 edition will include an update manager. The
decisive step is again to put the path pointing to the TeXLive
binaries first in your $PATH variable.

You're just two steps away from success, so don't give up!

Thomas