* Re: (MKIV beta) APA citations: "et al." incorrectly written
       [not found] <mailman.56.1412631186.2277.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-10-08  8:29 ` Robert Blackstone
From: Robert Blackstone @ 2014-10-08  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6 Oct 2014, at 23:33 , Sander Maijers <s.n.maijers@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Who can offer a short-term solution to this problem? All I want is to
> reference a work, listing all of the authors' names, in APA6 format. If
> necessary I'll prescribe the output format manually.
>
> Best,
>
> Sander Maijers
>

>>> \setupbibtex[database={references/bibliographic_database},sort=author]

>>> Incorrectly produces:

>>> Instead of:

What I would do is, for the final processing, not to load the .bib-file but the .bbl that was generated in the previous run. You can open that file in any text processor (I mostly use TeXShop) and manually change the Author for this particular entry. In the .bbl the field Author has this form: \author[]{}[]{}{} .

You should be able to solve your problem by putting inside the last pair of brackets exactly how you would like your authors et. al. to appear in your output. Place the whole lot again between brackets:  \author[]{}[]{}{{Zhou, Tom Chao and Lyu, Michael R. and King, Irwin}} or whatever you want.

But again,  don’t input the bib-file. Every time you do that the old .bbl is overwritten and your correction will be lost. ConTeXt uses the .bbl, not the .bib.

I hope this helps.
Best regards,

Robert Blackstone

* Re: (MKIV beta) APA citations: "et al." incorrectly written
@ 2014-10-08 14:12   ` Sander Maijers
From: Sander Maijers @ 2014-10-08 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Robert! I was planning to respond to your private message as
well. Am I correct in that you would enforce a single concrete
citation format throughout the document that way? In that case, I' m
sorry to report that does not help me. You were asking for comments
about your solution, I hope the following remarks are informative to
you.

My .bib file is being autogenerated by Mendeley, a reference manager,
and changes often in terms of contents. That workflow seems
incompatible with your solution. Furthermore, I may not let the
authors appear in citations with all their names every time, it should
be limited to the first time (the APA 6 rules, that I referred to).
With your solution, 1 out of n citations would be correct, while in
the current situation (without manual intervention) n-1 out of n would
be correct (all but the first).

So, am I out of luck? Should I maybe have an 'invisible' citation with
the first citation, spelling out that citation myself, while still
recording that the work was cited and is to be listed in the
bibliography.

Who can tell me please how to hide \cite output in the neatest way
possible, while keeping the semantics in tact (i.e. establish that a
reference was made)?

Best,

Sander Maijers

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 10:29 AM, Robert Blackstone
<blackstone.robert@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 Oct 2014, at 23:33 , Sander Maijers <s.n.maijers@gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>
> Who can offer a short-term solution to this problem? All I want is to
> reference a work, listing all of the authors' names, in APA6 format. If
> necessary I'll prescribe the output format manually.
>
> Best,
>
> Sander Maijers
>

> \setupbibtex[database={references/bibliographic_database},sort=author]
>
> \setuppublications[alternative=apa]
>
> \starttext
>    \cite[extras={, p.~3}][Zhou2012]
>    \cite[Zhou2012]
> \stoptext
>

> Incorrectly produces:
>
> (Zhou et al., 2012, p. 3) (Zhou et al., 2012)
>

> Instead of:
>
> (Zhou, Lyu, & King, 2012, p. 3) (Zhou, Lyu, & King, 2012)
>

> What I would do is, for the final processing, not to load the .bib-file but
> the .bbl that was generated in the previous run. You can open that file in
> any text processor (I mostly use TeXShop) and manually change the Author for
> this particular entry. In the .bbl the field Author has this form:
> \author[]{}[]{}{} .
>
> You should be able to solve your problem by putting inside the last pair of
> brackets exactly how you would like your authors et. al. to appear in your
> output. Place the whole lot again between brackets:  \author[]{}[]{}{{Zhou,
> Tom Chao and Lyu, Michael R. and King, Irwin}} or whatever you want.
>
> But again,  don’t input the bib-file. Every time you do that the old .bbl is
> overwritten and your correction will be lost. ConTeXt uses the .bbl, not the
> .bib.
>
> I hope this helps.
> Best regards,
>
> Robert Blackstone

* Re: Animation captions (was: error in animation)
       [not found] <mailman.56.1412631186.2277.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-10-08 14:37 ` Jeong Dal
From: Jeong Dal @ 2014-10-08 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: list ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl
	ntg-context@ntg.nl

Dear Wolfgang,

After changing the order, it works fine.

Also, \startcontent … \stopcontent and \startcaption … \stopcaption are working too.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

\useMPlibrary[dum]
\usemodule[animation]
\setupinteraction[state=start]
\starttext
\definepairedbox
[mylegend]
[location={bottom}] % width=10cm
\startanimation
{\startplacemylegend
\startcontent
{\externalfigure[dummy][]}
\stopcontent
\startcaption
\input ward
\stopcaption
\stopplacemylegend}
{\startplacemylegend
	{\externalfigure[dummy][]}
	{ caption caption}
\stopplacemylegend}
{\startplacemylegend
	\startcontent
	{\externalfigure[dummy][]}
	\stopcontent
	\startcaption
	\input ward
	\stopcaption
\stopplacemylegend}
\stopanimation
\stoptext

From: Jeong Dal @ 2014-10-08 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: list ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl ntg-context@ntg.nl

@ 2014-10-15 14:51     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2014-10-15 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Oct 2014 16:12:43 +0200
Sander Maijers <s.n.maijers@gmail.com> wrote:

> Who can tell me please how to hide \cite output in the neatest way
> possible, while keeping the semantics in tact (i.e. establish that a
> reference was made)?

\nocite

* Re: (MKIV beta) APA citations: "et al." incorrectly written
@ 2014-10-15 14:58     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2014-10-15 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Oct 2014 16:12:43 +0200
Sander Maijers <s.n.maijers@gmail.com> wrote:

> My .bib file is being autogenerated by Mendeley, a reference manager,
> and changes often in terms of contents. That workflow seems
> incompatible with your solution. Furthermore, I may not let the
> authors appear in citations with all their names every time, it should
> be limited to the first time (the APA 6 rules, that I referred to).
> With your solution, 1 out of n citations would be correct, while in
> the current situation (without manual intervention) n-1 out of n would
> be correct (all but the first).

Although it is not yet "production" ready, we are working on this issue
with the new mkiv-bibliography subsystem. The rendering of citations
and the rendering of bibliography lists can be quite complicated, as
you are showing.

I note a second issue here: As you are working with an
autogenerated .bib file, you may have less control over its contents,
so playing with the field contents is not a solution.

Alan

* Re: Animation captions (was: error in animation)
@ 2014-10-08  7:37   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-10-08  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.10.2014 um 05:19 schrieb Jeong Dal <haksan@me.com>:

> Dear Woldgang,
>

> I searched \definepairedbox and found several discussions as following:
>
> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2005/014315.html
> https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg71401.html
>
> In the above examples, it took a long sentences as a caption while my example don’t allow multiple lines.
> I inserted \crlf but it is not working.
>
> The difference is that “side by side”(example above)  and “top and bottom”(example below).
>
> Is there a way of allowing multiple lines?

I mixed up the order of arguments, the text goes into the second argument and the figure
etc. is put into the first argument, e.g.

\useMPlibrary[dum]

\starttext

\placelegend{\externalfigure[dummy][width=8cm]}{\input ward }

\blank

\placelegend[width=\textwidth]{\externalfigure[dummy][width=8cm]}{\input ward }

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Animation captions (was: error in animation)
       [not found] <mailman.44.1412584190.2277.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-10-08  3:19 ` Jeong Dal
From: Jeong Dal @ 2014-10-08  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear Woldgang,

I searched \definepairedbox and found several discussions as following:

http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2005/014315.html
https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg71401.html

In the above examples, it took a long sentences as a caption while my example don’t allow multiple lines.
I inserted \crlf but it is not working.

The difference is that “side by side”(example above)  and “top and bottom”(example below).

Is there a way of allowing multiple lines?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

\usemodule[animation]
\useMPlibrary[dum]
\setupinteraction[state=start]

\definepairedbox[animationtext][location=top,align=middle]

\starttext

\startanimation
{\placeanimationtext{A long long long long long long long long long \crlf long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long long caption}{\externalfigure[dummy]}}
{\placeanimationtext{The letter b}{\externalfigure[dummy]}}
{\placeanimationtext{The letter c}{\externalfigure[dummy]}}
{\placeanimationtext{The letter d}{\externalfigure[dummy]}}
\stopanimation

\stoptext

@ 2014-10-06 12:36 ` Jeong Dal
From: Jeong Dal @ 2014-10-06 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Deat Hraban and Otared,

> I wikified that, but didn’t test:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Animation

I read the wiki page and it is explained well about the animation.
Also, thank you for introducing  cites for making movies.
It looks very nice but it would be a painful job, I think.

> Indeed a very nice feature in ConTeXt.
> I tested Wolfgang’s example with math formulas and the result is very good: however it seems that one has to fix the width of the caption by saying
> 	\definepairedbox[animationtext][location=top,align=middle,width=\textwidth]
> Otherwise the formulas are cut.

Thank you for mentioning the option \textwidth also. For graphic animation, it is good to resize the width according to the width of the figure so that the caption is located within the width of the figure.

Thank Wolfgang and Hans for this nice feature and ConTeXt!
It makes my class materials fancy.

Best regards,

Dalyoung

* Re: Animation captions (was: error in animation)
@ 2014-10-06  8:29   ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2014-10-06  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Indeed a very nice feature in ConTeXt.
I tested Wolfgang’s example with math formulas and the result is very good: however it seems that one has to fix the width of the caption by saying
	\definepairedbox[animationtext][location=top,align=middle,width=\textwidth]
Otherwise the formulas are cut.

Here is the example:

\usemodule[animation]

\setuppapersize[S6][S6]

\setupinteraction[state=start]

\definepairedbox[animationtext][location=top,align=middle,width=\textwidth]

\starttext

\startanimation
 {\placeanimationtext{Sine norm, and}{\startformula \int_{0}^{2\pi}\sin^2(x)dx = \stopformula}}
 {\placeanimationtext{Cosine norm}{\startformula\int_{0}^{2\pi}\cos^2(x)dx = \stopformula}}
 {\placeanimationtext{are equal}{\startformula = \pi. \stopformula}}
\stopanimation

\stoptext

Best regards: OK

@ 2014-10-06  7:51   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2014-10-06  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2014-10-06 um 08:33 schrieb Jeong Dal <haksan@me.com>:

> \usemodule[animation]
> \useMPlibrary[dum]
> \setupinteraction[state=start]
>
> \definepairedbox[animationtext][location=top,align=middle]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startanimation
> {\placeanimationtext{The letter a}{\externalfigure[dummy]}}
> {\placeanimationtext{The letter b}{\externalfigure[dummy]}}
> {\placeanimationtext{The letter c}{\externalfigure[dummy]}}
> {\placeanimationtext{The letter d}{\externalfigure[dummy]}}
> \stopanimation
>
> \stoptext

I wikified that, but didn’t test:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Animation

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Animation captions (was: error in animation)
       [not found] <mailman.42.1412544508.2277.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2014-10-06  2:33 ` Jeong Dal
From: Jeong Dal @ 2014-10-06  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2014-10-05 16:47     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-10-05 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.10.2014 um 14:06 schrieb Jeong Dal <haksan@me.com>:

> Dear Wolfgang,
>
> I am using animation feature frequently for the class materials.
> It is very convenient to use \startanimation … \stopaimation.
> It reduces many steps which I have to define.
> Thank you for a nice module.
>
> I’d like to ask you to add caption feature like \startcombination.
>
> When I show the figures one by one, it is better to put a caption sometimes.
> If you think that it is not too bad, would you please concern to add the feature?

You can use the pairedbox mechanism to add a caption to each frame.

\usemodule[animation]

\setupinteraction[state=start]

\definepairedbox[animationtext][location=top,align=middle]

\starttext

\startanimation
  {\placeanimationtext{The letter a}{\ttd A}}
  {\placeanimationtext{The letter b}{\ttd B}}
  {\placeanimationtext{The letter c}{\ttd C}}
  {\placeanimationtext{The letter d}{\ttd D}}
\stopanimation

\stoptext

BTW: Start a new thread when you have a separate question next time.

Wolfgang