* footnote text formatting
@ 2005-06-10  3:56 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-06-10  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear gang,

Normally ConTeXt places the footnote number in the margin with the footnote
text completely justified. How do I bring the footnote number just within the
left margin (atmargin) and slightly indenting the first line (and only the
first line) of the footnote? I have played with setupfootnotes to no avail,
though I'm sure this must be trivial.

Thnx in advance
Idris

============================
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: footnote text formatting
@ 2005-06-10  5:46 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2005-06-10  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris,

here's my hack for achieving this footnote format (which seems much
more common in the humanities than the default provided by ConTeXt):

\def\NoteNumber#1{\hbox to 15pt{\hfill #1.}}

\setupfootnotes[rule=off,
                 distance=-3em,
         margindistance=-3em,
         numbercommand=\NoteNumber]

\def\MyFootnote#1{\footnote{\hskip4em #1}}

Best

Thomas

@ 2005-06-10 14:54 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-06-10 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Looking back on this, is it possible to add a key like
[notetextcommand=<command#1>] so that one can control things like indentation
without resorting to redefining things?:

\setupnote[endnote][location=none,margindistance=0em,
notetextcommand=\hskip1.2em]

seems nice...

Best
Idris

@ 2005-06-10 14:49 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2005-06-10 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thomas,

Thnx so much for your help! After playing with your hack I found a simpler
solution-)

\setupnote[endnote][location=none,margindistance=0em]
\def\MyEndnote#1{\endnote{\hskip1.2em #1}}

There should be ConTeXt options that do this sort of thing, along the line of
\setupitemize, which has e.g., an [atmargin] key.

Thnx once again!!