* error with new release
@ 2006-05-18 21:48 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-05-18 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I regenerate the formats on my linux box with the latest release, I
get this error:

language      : patterns pl for pl loaded (n=13,e=pl0,m=pl0)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/plhyph.tex
!Improper alphabetic constant.
<to be read again>
                  \else
\utffouruniglph ...tf@c *(#1-\utf@f )+\utf@b *(`#2
                                                  -\utf@g )+\utf@a
*(`#3-\ut...
l.189 ./sr/o
            2d5

Since nobody else complains, I guess this must be a misconfiguration on
my side, but what could it be?

Best

Thomas

* Re: error with new release
@ 2006-05-18 21:53 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-18 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> When I regenerate the formats on my linux box with the latest release, I
> get this error:
>
> language      : patterns pl for pl loaded (n=13,e=pl0,m=pl0)
> (/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/plhyph.tex
> !Improper alphabetic constant.
> <to be read again>
>                   \else
> \utffouruniglph ...tf@c *(#1-\utf@f )+\utf@b *(`#2
>                                                   -\utf@g )+\utf@a
> *(`#3-\ut...
> l.189 ./sr/o
>             2d5
>
> Since nobody else complains, I guess this must be a misconfiguration on
> my side, but what could it be?

seems so, is natural.ctx loaded? (i assume that you use texexec --make since i have no clue what fmtutil does)

[patterns are now in utf and i can generate formats in my linux vm without problems]

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: error with new release
@ 2006-05-18 22:03   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-05-18 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
>>When I regenerate the formats on my linux box with the latest release, I
>>get this error:
>>
>>language      : patterns pl for pl loaded (n=13,e=pl0,m=pl0)
>>(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/plhyph.tex
>>!Improper alphabetic constant.
>><to be read again>
>>                  \else
>>\utffouruniglph ...tf@c *(#1-\utf@f )+\utf@b *(`#2
>>                                                  -\utf@g )+\utf@a
>>*(`#3-\ut...
>>l.189 ./sr/o
>>            2d5
>>
>>Since nobody else complains, I guess this must be a misconfiguration on
>>my side, but what could it be?

not one of Hans' files, it should have found lang-pl.pat instead.
Perhaps  you have a file called 'aliases' somewhere that remaps
lang-pl.pat to the tetex-supplied plhyph.tex. Otherwise, something
is wrong with the search paths.

Cheers, taco

* Re: error with new release
@ 2006-05-18 22:07   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-05-18 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 18, 2006, at 11:53 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> seems so, is natural.ctx loaded? (i assume that you use texexec --
> make since i have no clue what fmtutil does)
>
> [patterns are now in utf and i can generate formats in my linux vm
> without problems]
>
> Hans

Yes, I use texmfstart texexec --make --all. Funny thing is that it's
only the Polish patterns, and that these are not taken from lang-
pl.hyp. I'll look into  it again tomorrow.

Best

Thomas

* Re: error with new release
@ 2006-05-20 21:41 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-05-20 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco wrote
> Hans Hagen wrote:
> > Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> >
> >>When I regenerate the formats on my linux box with the latest
> release, I
> >>get this error:
> >>
> >>language : patterns pl for pl loaded (n=13,e=pl0,m=pl0)
> >>(/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/plhyph.tex
> >>!Improper alphabetic constant.
> >><to be read again>
> >> \else
> >>\utffouruniglph ...tf@c *(#1-\utf@f )+\utf@b *(`#2
> >> -\utf@g )+\utf@a
> >>*(`#3-\ut...
> >>l.189 ./sr/o
> >> 2d5
> >>
> >>Since nobody else complains, I guess this must be a misconfiguration
> on
> >>my side, but what could it be?

> not one of Hans' files, it should have found lang-pl.pat instead.
> Perhaps you have a file called 'aliases' somewhere that remaps
> lang-pl.pat to the tetex-supplied plhyph.tex. Otherwise, something
> is wrong with the search paths.
>
> Cheers, taco

Bingo, that was it. This is on Suse 10.1. by default, it ships with a
cont-usr.tex in /etc/texmf/tex/context/config/ which takes precedence
over everything else. And this file contains a couple of synonyms which
seem pretty stale:

%D Hyphenation patterns are normally sought in filed named
%D \type {lang-xx.pat}. When present on the system, those
%D patterns take precedence. (The next list is inspired on
%D Thomas Esser's \TETEX\ distribution.) This list will be
%D adapted to the actual situation.

\definefilesynonym [lang-ca.pat]  [cahyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-da.pat]  [dkhyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-de.pat]  [dehyphn.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-es.pat]  [eshyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-fi.pat]  [fihyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-fr.pat]  [frhyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-hr.pat]  [hrhyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-hu.pat]  [huhyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-it.pat]  [ithyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-la.pat]  [lahyph7.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-no.pat]  [nohyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-pl.pat]  [plhyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-pt.pat]  [pthyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-ro.pat]  [rohyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-ru.pat]  [ruenhyph.tex] % sic: ruen
\definefilesynonym [lang-sl.pat]  [sihyph.tex]   % sic: sl/si
\definefilesynonym [lang-sv.pat]  [svhyph.tex]   % was [sehyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-tr.pat]  [tkhyph.tex]   % was [trhyph.tex]
\definefilesynonym [lang-ua.pat]  [ukrenhyp.tex] % sic ukren
\definefilesynonym [lang-uk.pat]  [ukhyph.tex]

\definefilesynonym [lang-nl.pat]  [nlhyphen.tex] % symbolic name, see
below
\definefilesynonym [lang-af.pat]  [nlhyphen.tex] % symbolic name, see
below

\definefilesynonym [lang-en.pat]  [ushyphen.tex] % symbolic name, see
below
\definefilesynonym [lang-us.pat]  [ushyphen.tex] % symbolic name, see
below

%definefilesynonym [czhyph.pat]   [czhyphen.tex] % safeguard
%definefilesynonym [skhyph.pat]   [skhyphen.tex] % safeguard

\definefilesynonym [lang-cz.pat]  [czhyphen.tex] % in a different part
of the tree, sigh
\definefilesynonym [lang-sk.pat]  [skhyphen.tex] % in a different part
of the tree, sigh

%definefilesynonym [lang-cz.hyp]  [czhyphen.ex]  % in a different part
of the tree, sigh
%definefilesynonym [lang-sk.hyp]  [skhyphen.ex]  % in a different part
of the tree, sigh

\definefilesynonym [lang-deo.pat] [dehypht.tex]  % old german patterns

I removed this file, and format generation proceeded normally. But I
guess that at every Suse update, it will be regenerated...

Best

Thomas