From: Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>
Subject: Re: new trickery / acrobat 6
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:52:39 +0200	[thread overview]

Am Montag, 07.07.03, um 18:39 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Jens-Uwe
Morawski:
> Nice feature to distribute a file together with its documentation, but
> how
> can i extract the attached file. AR (Linux version) seems not to have a
> function for this. Is there an utillity program?

In Acrobat (not Reader) it's in File:Properties:Embedded Objects.
(That is, in german it reads: Datei:Dokumenteigenschaften:Eingebettete
Datenobjekte)
I can't find it in Reader (5.05 on MacOS X).

> hmm, i've no AR6 to test this and even i don't know what pdf-layering
> means,
> but for me it sound like that we have now two layering methods in
> ConteXt:
> pdf-layering and layers defined by \definelayer... Wouldn't it be
> better to bring
> them together in one user interface and make the pdf-based layering an
> option:

PDF layers (officially "optional content groups") have not much
to do with ConTeXt layers.

In PDF 1.5 (Acrobat 6) there's a new feature that allows hiding of
some objects, like the layers palette in DTP or CAD software.
But PDF layers are more: they can be connected with special view
sizes (increase detail level while zooming in) and much more.

Think of
- different language versions in the same document
- b/w and color versions in the same document
- additional content that is only visible with a password
- architectural drawings: floors or pipes, wires, walls, furniture ...
   (one layer for each craftsman)
- other CAD stuff
- higher detail level with zoom (I saw this with a city map)
- and much more...

"PDF guru" Stephan Jaeggi said, the possibilities of this new
technique were overwhelming as a Adobe developer showed him
some details.
Think further of layers combined with transparency options --
creative possibilities like in Photoshop! (Don't know if this
really works, but I guess.)

Besides AutoCAD there's no commercial software that can write
such layers -- ConTeXt seems to be ahead the whole industry!
Really big deal, Hans!