* Problems with superscripts and macros
@ 2003-11-17 13:52 Frank
From: Frank @ 2003-11-17 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I am having some big problems with superscripts. When I type:

-20$^\circ$C

I get the expected 20 degrees Celcius (-20oC)

However if I put the same sequence in a macro

\def\celcius{$^\circ$C}
-20\celsius\ Dewpoint
-20\celsius Dewpoint

I get as result:

-20  oCDewpoint
-20DoCewpoint

Where o symbolizes the degree symbol.

What is going on, and more importantly how to solve it.

Best Regards,

Frank

* Re: Problems with superscripts and macros
@ 2003-11-17 14:21 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-11-17 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 14:52 17.11.2003, Frank wrote:

Hi,

the solution is to use the \usemodule[units] command in the beginning of
your document.

When zou need to typset a unit you can say things like \Degrees Celsius,
\Square\Meter or \Milli\Meter

Regards Willi

@ 2003-11-17 14:33 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-11-17 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Frank,

it took me a while to find the error, because it is really hidden:

> However if I put the same sequence in a macro
>
> \def\celcius{$^\circ$C}
> -20\celsius\ Dewpoint
> -20\celsius Dewpoint
>
> What is going on,

you defined \celcius but used \celsius (s/c). \celsius is a
predefined macro in ConTeXt. Use \celsius{-20} Dewpoint in your case.

The macro \celsius is smart about math mode: see the difference in

\celsius{-20} Dewpoint \par
$\celsius{-20}$ Dewpoint \par
\celsius{$-20$} Dewpoint

> and more importantly how to solve it.

drop your macro or use it ;-)

Patrick
--
You are your own rainbow!

* Re: Problems with superscripts and macros
@ 2003-11-17 14:58   ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2003-11-17 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I actually dropped the use of the units module because it uses a roman
font where my text is in Helvetica. There is a trick to make the units
module use a sans-serif font, but in that case the \mu greek character
comes out as m, which is not what I wanted.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Regards,

Frank
On 2003, Nov 17, , at 15:21, Willi Egger wrote:

> At 14:52 17.11.2003, Frank wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> the solution is to use the \usemodule[units] command in the beginning
> of your document.
>
> When zou need to typset a unit you can say things like \Degrees
> Celsius, \Square\Meter or \Milli\Meter
>
> Regards Willi
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am having some big problems with superscripts. When I type:
>>
>> -20$^\circ$C
>>
>> I get the expected 20 degrees Celcius (-20oC)
>>
>> However if I put the same sequence in a macro
>>
>> \def\celcius{$^\circ$C}
>> -20\celsius\ Dewpoint
>> -20\celsius Dewpoint
>>
>> I get as result:
>>
>> -20  oCDewpoint
>> -20DoCewpoint
>>
>> Where o symbolizes the degree symbol.
>>
>> What is going on, and more importantly how to solve it.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>

>> Frank

* Re: Re: Problems with superscripts and macros
@ 2003-11-17 15:01   ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2003-11-17 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick,

Thanks a lot, this was one nasty typo.

My text looks a lot better using the correct macro.

Regards,

Frank

@ 2003-11-17 16:07     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-11-17 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Frank,

Yes that is true, the module switches to roman or math respectiely UNLESS
you state the following at
the beginning of your document:

\textdimensionstrue

Hereafter the units are typeset in the current bodyfont. - Sorry, but I do
not know, what happens to the
"mü" ..

Willi