* placing a paragraph with non-standard interlinear spacing onto the grid
@ 2010-10-02 22:23 Talal Al-Azem
       [not found] ` <901A8F2F-3461-405C-9A24-568A5C458235@alazem.org>
From: Talal Al-Azem @ 2010-10-02 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear all,

This is important for anyone working with mixed language (font) texts. In my example,  the overall document is Latin-based (e.g. English), with a paragraph of Arabic text; I want this Arabic paragraph as a whole to fit onto the grid (though obviously the individual Arabic lines of the paragraph would not).

Currently, when I typeset an English paragraph, followed by an Arabic paragraph, followed by an English paragraph, the second English paragraph is no longer on the grid, having been throw off by the Arabic one. I'm looking for some way to automatically calculate and fill in the vspace needed for this.

This is not the same as the issue of an Arabic word or phrase (or mathematic formula) being typeset in the midst of Latin text, as discussed http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg46163.html. Having read a few other matters on the mailing list (largely involving Idris and Hans), I'm sure it's possible, but I can't figure it out.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Kind regards,
Talal

* Re: placing a paragraph with non-standard interlinear spacing onto the grid
       [not found] ` <901A8F2F-3461-405C-9A24-568A5C458235@alazem.org>
@ 2010-10-03 19:14   ` Talal Al-Azem
From: Talal Al-Azem @ 2010-10-03 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear all,

By way of further definition and clarification of the issue: back in the world of LaTeX, I was kindly given the following code on CTT by Donald Arseneau to produce the desired effect. Mind you, it was only meant to work with a paragraph if the entire paragraph was on one page; it wouldn't work if split across pages:

%%% Donald Arseneau’s Gridblock Environment %%%
% For placing paragraphs into a box, and that box then
% being placed on a “grid” of the baselineskip. This ensures
% that following paragraphs are also on the grid.
\makeatletter
\@ifundefined{@tempdimc}{\newdimen\@tempdimc}{}
\newenvironment{gridblock}{\par
  \setbox\@tempboxa\vtop\bgroup
}{\par\egroup
  % measurements of top
  \@tempdima=\ht\@tempboxa
  \@tempdimc=\dp\@tempboxa
  \ifdim\@tempdima>\ht\strutbox
    \advance\@tempdimc\@tempdima
    \@tempdima=\ht\strutbox
    \advance\@tempdimc-\@tempdima
  \fi
  % measurements of bottom
  \setbox\@tempboxa\vbox{\unvbox\@tempboxa}%
  \ifdim\dp\@tempboxa>\dp\strutbox
    \@tempdimb=\dp\strutbox
  \else
    \@tempdimb=\dp\@tempboxa
  \fi
 \advance\@tempdimc-\@tempdimb
  \@tempcnta=\@tempdimc
  \divide\@tempcnta\baselineskip
  \advance\@tempdimc -\@tempcnta\baselineskip
  \ifdim\@tempdimc >2\vfuzz \advance\@tempdimc-\baselineskip \fi
  \divide\@tempdimc\tw@
  \vbox to\@tempdima{}%
  \nobreak \nointerlineskip \kern-\@tempdima \kern-\@tempdimc \nobreak
  \box\@tempboxa
  \nobreak \nointerlineskip \kern-\@tempdimb \kern-\@tempdimc \nobreak
  \hbox{\vrule height \z@ width \z@ depth \@tempdimb}%
}
\makeatother

Seeing how systematised ConTeXt is, I'm assuming something much simpler could probably be used to achieve the same effect?

Kind regards,
Talal

@ 2010-10-03 19:50     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-03 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3-10-2010 9:14, Talal Al-Azem wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> By way of further definition and clarification of the issue: back in the world of LaTeX, I was kindly given the following code on CTT by Donald Arseneau to produce the desired effect. Mind you, it was only meant to work with a paragraph if the entire paragraph was on one page; it wouldn't work if split across pages:

does \setulayout[grid=yes] give acceptable results?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-10-03 20:19 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-10-03 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.10.2010 um 00:23 schrieb Talal Al-Azem:

> Dear all,
>
> This is important for anyone working with mixed language (font) texts. In my example,  the overall document is Latin-based (e.g. English), with a paragraph of Arabic text; I want this Arabic paragraph as a whole to fit onto the grid (though obviously the individual Arabic lines of the paragraph would not).
>
> Currently, when I typeset an English paragraph, followed by an Arabic paragraph, followed by an English paragraph, the second English paragraph is no longer on the grid, having been throw off by the Arabic one. I'm looking for some way to automatically calculate and fill in the vspace needed for this.
>
> This is not the same as the issue of an Arabic word or phrase (or mathematic formula) being typeset in the midst of Latin text, as discussed http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg46163.html. Having read a few other matters on the mailing list (largely involving Idris and Hans), I'm sure it's possible, but I can't figure it out.
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.

\setuplayout[grid=yes]\showgrid

\starttext

\input knuth

\startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=3.6ex]
\input knuth
\stopbaselinecorrection

\input knuth

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: placing a paragraph with non-standard interlinear spacing onto the grid
@ 2010-10-03 21:47       ` Talal Al-Azem
From: Talal Al-Azem @ 2010-10-03 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans and Wolfgang,

Hans: Thanks for your reply. No, simply setting up the grid does not work. Because of the size of Arabic fonts relative to latin fonts, the Arabic paragraph naturally needs a bit more interlinear spacing; as such, I do not expect the paragraph to lineup on the grid (effectively, I am happy to treat it like one would a graphic or math equation). But in the English paragraph which follows, I would like the English paragraph to be realigned on the grid.

BUT: it seems that Wolfgang's suggestion works well! (At least with my minimal example, which I've attached below). Thank you both so much.

Amazing. I cannot express how impressed I am with ConTeXt at the moment, and how what used to require so much hacking in LaTeX (which I never could have come up with), and so many myriad packages, is all largely done from within ConTeXt itself! My last hurdle for shifting my work into ConTeXt remains the issue of the features needed for critical editions--most importantly the ability to key lemmas to line numbers; but that will be left to a dedicated email.

Many thanks to you both again, and to all those who've played a role in the development of ConTeXt. :-)

Kind regards,
Talal

[-- Attachment #2: testminimal.tex --]

%%%	SETUP AREA

%%	PAGE SETUP
\setuppapersize[A4][A4]
\setuplayout[grid=on]
\showgrid
\setupinterlinespace[line=3.8ex]
\setupindenting[yes,big]

%%	FONTS
\usemodule[simplefonts]
\setupsimplefonts[size=12pt]
\definefontfeature[default]  [default]  [mode=node,script=arabic]
\setmainfontfallback[Lotus Linotype]  [scale=1.33,features=arabic,range={arabic,arabicsupplement}]
\setcharactermirroring[1]

%%	PARAGRAPH DIRECTION & SPACING - ARABIC - ENGLISH
\def\arabpar	{\textdir TRT\pardir TRT}

%%%	TEXT

\starttext

\input knuth

\startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex]
\blank[1em]
\arabpar{
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة
}
\blank[1em]
\stopbaselinecorrection

\input knuth

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: testminimal.pdf --]

@ 2010-10-03 22:40         ` Talal Al-Azem
From: Talal Al-Azem @ 2010-10-03 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Hans and Wolfgang (et al),

Unfortunately, I think I may have spoken too soon, as I've run into a small problem. :-)  Using Wolfgang's suggestion of baselinecorrection:

\startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex]
\stopbaselinecorrection

I can no longer get footnotes which are in the Arabic paragraph to work. The footnote marker in the text shows up; but that particular footnote does not show at the bottom of the page, though a footnote from text outside of that paragraph do show, with their correct numbering. See attachments for an example.

[...]

\footnote{هذه فوتنوت.}
هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة ألفه الشيخ الفاضل النحرير  هذه رسالة جامعة مانعة
}
\stopbaselinecorrection

Thus, I came to the conclusion that the designer\footnote{Such as Knuth himself.} of a new system must not only be the implementer and first large--scale user; the designer should also write the first user manual.

The separation of any of these four components would have hurt TEX significantly.

@ 2010-10-04  0:17           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-04  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4-10-2010 12:40, Talal Al-Azem wrote:
> Dear Hans and Wolfgang (et al),
>
> Unfortunately, I think I may have spoken too soon, as I've run into a small problem. :-)  Using Wolfgang's suggestion of baselinecorrection:
>
> \startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex]
> \stopbaselinecorrection
>
> I can no longer get footnotes which are in the Arabic paragraph to work. The footnote marker in the text shows up; but that particular footnote does not show at the bottom of the page, though a footnote from text outside of that paragraph do show, with their correct numbering. See attachments for an example.

does

\automigrateinserts

help?

(concerning the grid ... at some point we can associate lineht/dp with a
font ... it's rather trivial to influence)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-10-04  0:28             ` Talal Al-Azem
From: Talal Al-Azem @ 2010-10-04  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Unfortunately, I think I may have spoken too soon, as I've run into a small problem. :-)  Using Wolfgang's suggestion of baselinecorrection:
>>
>> \startbaselinecorrection\setupinterlinespace[line=5ex]
>> \stopbaselinecorrection
>>
>> I can no longer get footnotes which are in the Arabic paragraph to work. The footnote marker in the text shows up; but that particular footnote does not show at the bottom of the page, though a footnote from text outside of that paragraph do show, with their correct numbering. See attachments for an example.
>
> does
>
> \automigrateinserts
>
> help?

It does indeed. Many thanks, Hans, for your quick responses and help!

Kind regards,
Talal