* balancing colums
@ 2007-08-29 13:53 Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2007-08-29 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Sorry for interrupting the luatex discussion with a pedestrian question,
but my book is almost finished, and this will not be the last one:

In the following minimal example, the left column contains 5, the right
one 3 lines. I tried \column to get 4 + 4, but it didn't work

\starttext

\startcolumns[rule=on]
\starttabulate[|l|r|]
\NC one: \NC text \NC\NR
\NC two: \NC text \NC\NR
\NC three: \NC text \NC\NR
\NC four: \NC text \NC\NR
\NC five: \NC text \NC\NR
\NC six: \NC text \NC\NR
\NC seven: \NC text \NC\NR
\NC eight: \NC text \NC\NR
\stoptabulate
\stopcolumns

\stoptext

Thanks, Jörg

--
Prof.Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics

* Re: balancing colums
@ 2007-08-29 16:00 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-08-29 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2007-08-29 um 15:53 schrieb Jörg Hagmann:

> In the following minimal example, the left column contains 5, the
> right
> one 3 lines. I tried \column to get 4 + 4, but it didn't work

The columns features are broken for a long time now, esp. with stuff
like \startlines, \starttabulate etc.

Maybe you could try column sets. I resolved to tables for my lead
sheets (ugly code, like old HTML).

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: balancing colums
@ 2007-08-30  6:35   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-08-30  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/8/29, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>:
> Am 2007-08-29 um 15:53 schrieb Jörg Hagmann:
>
> > In the following minimal example, the left column contains 5, the
> > right
> > one 3 lines. I tried \column to get 4 + 4, but it didn't work
>
> The columns features are broken for a long time now, esp. with stuff
> like \startlines, \starttabulate etc.
>
> Maybe you could try column sets. I resolved to tables for my lead
> sheets (ugly code, like old HTML).
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns
>
> Greetlings from Lake Constance!
> Hraban

Hi,

if he has this problem only at one place and has no time he could
use TeX's halign primitive because this did still work.

It is also easy to write a simple wrapper around this this emulate
ConTeXt's table syntax.

\starttext

\startcolumns[rule=on]
\halign{\strut#\quad&\hfil#\cr
one: & text \cr
two: & text \cr
three: & text \cr
four: & text \cr
five: & text \cr
six: & text \cr
seven: & text \cr
eight: & text \cr}
\stopcolumns

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* balancing columns (solved)/ page breaks and itemization (new)
@ 2007-08-30  9:30     ` Jörg Hagmann
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2007-08-30  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Balancing columns: Since the problem occurred twice only, I adopted
Wolfgangs solution. Thanks Hraban and Wolfgang!

Another problem:
Itemizations occur very often in my manuscript (typically
[packed,joinedup]). I would like page breaking to occur when the page is
full, regardless of the number of lines left over on the next page (or
the number of lines at the bottom of a page). At present, the gaps left
at the bottom of a page look ugly, especially when there is a footnote
with its line above.
\adaptlayout doesn't do anything

Is there a way to setup this behaviour (without affecting pagebreaking
outsitde itemizations)?

Thanks, Jörg

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> 2007/8/29, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net>:
>
>> Am 2007-08-29 um 15:53 schrieb Jörg Hagmann:
>>

>>> In the following minimal example, the left column contains 5, the
>>> right
>>> one 3 lines. I tried \column to get 4 + 4, but it didn't work
>>>
>> The columns features are broken for a long time now, esp. with stuff
>> like \startlines, \starttabulate etc.
>>
>> Maybe you could try column sets. I resolved to tables for my lead
>> sheets (ugly code, like old HTML).
>>
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns
>>
>> Greetlings from Lake Constance!
>> Hraban
>>

> Hi,
>
> if he has this problem only at one place and has no time he could
> use TeX's halign primitive because this did still work.
>
> It is also easy to write a simple wrapper around this this emulate
> ConTeXt's table syntax.
>
> \starttext
>
> \startcolumns[rule=on]
> \halign{\strut#\quad&\hfil#\cr
> one: & text \cr
> two: & text \cr
> three: & text \cr
> four: & text \cr
> five: & text \cr
> six: & text \cr
> seven: & text \cr
> eight: & text \cr}
> \stopcolumns
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Prof.Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
Centre of Biomedicine, University of Basel
Mattenstrasse 28
CH-4058 Basel
Switzerland
Phone +41 (0)61 267 3565

* Re: page breaks and itemization
@ 2007-08-30 16:52       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-08-30 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2007-08-30 um 11:30 schrieb Jörg Hagmann:

> Itemizations occur very often in my manuscript (typically
> [packed,joinedup]). I would like page breaking to occur when the
> page is
> full, regardless of the number of lines left over on the next page (or
> the number of lines at the bottom of a page). At present, the gaps
> left
> at the bottom of a page look ugly, especially when there is a footnote
> with its line above.
> \adaptlayout doesn't do anything
>
> Is there a way to setup this behaviour (without affecting pagebreaking
> outsitde itemizations)?

Normally yoou influence pagebreaking with \setuptolerance, or plain
TeX style with setting the appropriate penalties.
I don't know if it would work to set club and widow penalty to a very
low value inside of the itemization (setup "before" or the like). (Is
this setting always global or does it work locally?)

\setuptolerance		[{horizontal, verytolerant},{vertical, verystrict}]
%\clubpenalty=8000		% no clubs / keine Schusterjungen
%\widowpenalty=8000		% no widows / keine Hurenkinder
%\tolerance=1750		% line breaking tolerance (ca. 500--3000)
%\emergencystretch=10 pt	% additional stretching space per line