* Framing the text area of a part page w/ tikz/pgf.
@ 2009-01-14 17:53 Bart C. Wise
From: Bart C. Wise @ 2009-01-14 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

The code below frames the text area of a part page.  The part page removes the
footer and headers, then I use definelayout to change the text height & width.
It works find until I load the pgf and/or tikz modules.  When either of those
modules are loaded, the frame is forced to the next page.  The only way I can
make the frame stay on the page is to reduce the height of the frame; however,
then it doesn't fit the text area that I've defined.

Why when I load the modules pgf and/or tikz does the frame for the part page
get forced to the next page?
How do I fix it?
Is there a better way to do this? (don't say remove the pgf and tikz modules
:-) ).

Thanks,
Bart

\showframe
%\usemodule[pgf]
%\usemodule[tikz]

\definelayout[PartLayout][
    header=0in,
    headerdistance=0in,
    footer=0in,
    footerdistance=0in,
]

\setuphead[part][
    command=\MyPartCommand,
    footer=high,
    header=high,
    placehead=yes,
]
\def\MyPartCommand#1#2{%
    \setuplayout[PartLayout]
    \framed[%
        rulethickness=5pt,%
        height=\textheight,%
        strut=no,%
        width=\textwidth,%
            ]{\vfill This is A Part \vfill\vfill}
    \setuplayout[reset]
}

\starttext
\part{This is part one}
\stoptext

* Re: Framing the text area of a part page w/ tikz/pgf.
@ 2009-01-14 18:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-14 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.01.2009 um 18:53 schrieb Bart C. Wise:

> The code below frames the text area of a part page. The part page
> removes the footer and headers, then I use definelayout to change
> the text height & width. It works find until I load the pgf and/or
> tikz modules. When either of those modules are loaded, the frame is
> forced to the next page. The only way I can make the frame stay on
> the page is to reduce the height of the frame; however, then it
> doesn't fit the text area that I've defined.
> Why when I load the modules pgf and/or tikz does the frame for the
> part page get forced to the next page?
> How do I fix it?
> Is there a better way to do this? (don't say remove the pgf and tikz
> modules :-) ).

How about this setup?

\defineframedtext
   [partframed]
   [width=\textwidth,
    height=\textheight,
    rulethickness=5pt,
    top=\vfill,
    bottom=\vfill\vfill]

\setuphead
   [part]
   [before=\startpartframed,
    after=\stoppartframed,
    align=middle,
    footer=high,
    header=high,
    placehead=yes]

\starttext
\part{This is part one}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Framing the text area of a part page w/ tikz/pgf.
@ 2009-01-14 18:42   ` Bart C. Wise
From: Bart C. Wise @ 2009-01-14 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 11:21:02 am Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> \defineframedtext
>    [partframed]
>    [width=\textwidth,
>     height=\textheight,
>     rulethickness=5pt,
>     top=\vfill,
>     bottom=\vfill\vfill]
>
> \setuphead
>    [part]
>    [before=\startpartframed,
>     after=\stoppartframed,
>     align=middle,
>     footer=high,
>     header=high,
>     placehead=yes]
>
> \starttext
> \part{This is part one}
> \stoptext

Thanks Wolfgang.

I like the way you implemented the solution; however, if I load the pgf/tikz
libraries with your solution, it still forces the frame to the next page.

Ultimately I want to load an image and have it framed for the background on
the part page.  I like the ability that tikz gives me to adjust the opacity of
the image, which is why I tried to find a solution using tikz.

So I can find a solution without tikz, but is there one that will work with
tikz?

Bart

* Re: Framing the text area of a part page w/ tikz/pgf.
@ 2009-01-14 19:03     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-14 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.01.2009 um 19:42 schrieb Bart C. Wise:

> Ultimately I want to load an image and have it framed for the
> background on the part page. I like the ability that tikz gives me
> to adjust the opacity of the image, which is why I tried to find a
> solution using tikz.
> So I can find a solution without tikz, but is there one that will
> work with tikz?

How about this?

\setupexternalfigures[location={local,global,default}]

\setupcolors[state=start]

\definecolor[partwhite][s=1,t=.8,a=1]

\defineoverlay[partimage][\overlayfigure{mill}]

\defineframedtext
   [partframed]
   [width=\textwidth,
    height=\textheight,
    rulethickness=5pt,
    background={partimage,color},
    backgroundcolor=partwhite,
    top=\vfill,
    bottom=\vfill\vfill]

\setuphead
   [part]
   [before=\startpartframed,
    after=\stoppartframed,
    align=middle,
    footer=high,
    header=high,
    placehead=yes]

\starttext
\part{This is part one}
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Framing the text area of a part page w/ tikz/pgf.
@ 2009-01-14 19:35       ` Bart C. Wise
From: Bart C. Wise @ 2009-01-14 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 12:03:51 pm Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 14.01.2009 um 19:42 schrieb Bart C. Wise:
> > Ultimately I want to load an image and have it framed for the
> > background on the part page. I like the ability that tikz gives me
> > to adjust the opacity of the image, which is why I tried to find a
> > solution using tikz.
> > So I can find a solution without tikz, but is there one that will
> > work with tikz?
>
> How about this?
>
> \setupexternalfigures[location={local,global,default}]
>
> \setupcolors[state=start]
>
> \definecolor[partwhite][s=1,t=.8,a=1]
>
> \defineoverlay[partimage][\overlayfigure{mill}]
>
> \defineframedtext
>    [partframed]
>    [width=\textwidth,
>     height=\textheight,
>     rulethickness=5pt,
>     background={partimage,color},
>     backgroundcolor=partwhite,
>     top=\vfill,
>     bottom=\vfill\vfill]
>
> \setuphead
>    [part]
>    [before=\startpartframed,
>     after=\stoppartframed,
>     align=middle,
>     footer=high,
>     header=high,
>     placehead=yes]
>
> \starttext
> \part{This is part one}
> \stoptext

Wolfgang,

Thanks!  That one works.  And much more elegant than what I was developing.

Just so I understand:
"background={partimage,color}" : This creates the background from both the
image and the backgroundcolor, correct?

What does the "s=1" and the "a=1" do in defining the color partwhite?  I can't
find anything on the web.

Bart

* Re: Framing the text area of a part page w/ tikz/pgf.
@ 2009-01-14 19:47         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-01-14 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 14.01.2009 um 20:35 schrieb Bart C. Wise:

> On Wednesday 14 January 2009 12:03:51 pm Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> > Am 14.01.2009 um 19:42 schrieb Bart C. Wise:
> > > Ultimately I want to load an image and have it framed for the
> > > background on the part page. I like the ability that tikz gives me
> > > to adjust the opacity of the image, which is why I tried to find a
> > > solution using tikz.
> > > So I can find a solution without tikz, but is there one that will
> > > work with tikz?
> >
> > How about this?
> >
> > \setupexternalfigures[location={local,global,default}]
> >
> > \setupcolors[state=start]
> >
> > \definecolor[partwhite][s=1,t=.8,a=1]
> >
> > \defineoverlay[partimage][\overlayfigure{mill}]
> >
> > \defineframedtext
> > [partframed]
> > [width=\textwidth,
> > height=\textheight,
> > rulethickness=5pt,
> > background={partimage,color},
> > backgroundcolor=partwhite,
> > top=\vfill,
> > bottom=\vfill\vfill]
> >
> > \setuphead
> > [part]
> > [before=\startpartframed,
> > after=\stoppartframed,
> > align=middle,
> > footer=high,
> > header=high,
> > placehead=yes]
> >
> > \starttext
> > \part{This is part one}
> > \stoptext
> >

> Thanks! That one works. And much more elegant than what I was
> developing.
> Just so I understand:
> "background={partimage,color}" : This creates the background from
> both the image and the backgroundcolor, correct?

Yes, I used here two layers for the background, one for the image and
another one for the color which is before the image.

> What does the "s=1" and the "a=1" do in defining the color
> partwhite? I can't find anything on the web.

I used s=1 to define a white color and the other two to make it
transparent.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Colors#Transparent_Colors

Wolfgang