From: "Behnam Tabatabai" <behnam_tabatabai@hotmail.com>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Example for Persian
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 16:08:08 CEST	[thread overview]

Hi Hans!
Thank you for having examined my Persian exmaple!

>Your file says:
>
>\font\OMARAB=omarab
>
>far better is a definition like
>
>\definefont[OMARAB][omarab sa 1]

That's right. I have still very little experience in Context, that's why I
chose the most straightforward way of switching to "omarab". In the next
examples I'll use this construct.

>Then there is the OTP mechanism, which chains a series of filters. Whet we
>need there is something similar, like (maybe we can leave the synonym here,
>and auto resolve indirect mappings)
>
>\definefiltersynonym [OTF8 to UNICODE16]   [inutf8]
>\definefiltersynonym [farsi to arabic]     [FarsiToArabic]
>\definefiltersynonym [preprocess arabic]   [uni2cuni]
>\definefiltersynonym [build arabic glyphs] [cuni2oar]
>
>next there is:
>
>\definefiltersequence[Farsi][OTF8 to UNICODE16, farsi to arabic, preprocess
>arabic, build arabic glyphs]

Besides "normal" OTP's Omega can also use so called "external" OPT's, which
are any executables (perl scripts, ...) acting as filters. These can also be
interfaced by similar macros.

>[what is the 1000 in \ocplist\OCPListFarsiUTF=\addbeforeocplist 1000
>\OCPutf ?]

This a positive value which can be used to fine tune the bahavior of
\pushocplist in respect of the final placement of ocp's in the list. A
detailed description can be found in the Omega documentation doc-1.8.dvi,
pp. 31-34.

Personally I have not seen any real examples using this feature: All
examples I have seen so far use 1 or 1000 uniquely for all ocp's added to
the list.

>now we can say:
>
>\Farsi\OMARABIC
>
>and get thoce nice sequences of glyphs. In this way we can hide the otp
>interface and protect macros.

Well, this example was a more or less brute force hack for getting Farsi
with the help of Omega primitives. Relying on these Omega features
(direction switching commands and OTP's) do you see any chances for a more
structured support in future versions of Context (e.g., a "lang-far.tex")?

Regards,
Behnam

http://profiles.msn.com.