From: "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@fastmail.fm>
Subject: Re: updates to Help Page
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:06:08 -0500	[thread overview]

On Monday, November 25, 2002, at 01:48 PM, Bill McClain wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:44:34 -0500
> "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> The sample docs are exactly the kind of thing I was looking!  Any
>> chance you can provide the source file for the sample pdf?  ...
>
> Anyone who wants to see sources, contact me directly and specify what
> example you need. This is from a book-length project, so I really ought
> to make smaller examples.

OK, fair enough.  I asked simply because I often learn better with a
complete workable source file than individual pieces of code.  Will
contact you though if there's some problem I run into...

>> Also, regarding the Fontsite CD scripts (thanks for this too!), you
>> mention Christopher League's similar project for LaTeX, and that
>> your's is not as ambitious.  One thing that I know some people have
>> run into with these fonts is problems with spacing and kerning.  I
>> know that League's project actually corrects some of these problems.
>>
>> Have you done that as well?  Or might you make use of some of those
>> tweaks from his project?  Or do you have any other suggestions?
>
> No, I haven't done anything further, or even sampled most of the fonts
> other than looking at single lines. I believe that correcting kerning,
> etc, means getting into "fontinst," which I know nothing about. And
> doesn't it require LaTeX? of which I am also ignorant.

Well, one thing to consider which might be both simple and get you the
benefits of Christopher's substantial work is a script that takes his
.tfm, .vf and .map files (which he makes available) and simply packages
them for use in ConTeXt.  All that's needed are the typescripts, right?

For those that don't know about this, it -- along with a sample PDF
that shows all of the fonts -- are available at:

http://contrapunctus.net/league/haques/fs500tex/

 From my perspective, the most useful fonts in the package for TeX
purposes are:

Savoy