By trial-and-error I’ve come up with the following. It seems like a hack but both variants are close enough to my requirements that I would be able to work with one of them. There’s still one catch: When I change the caption key „location“ to „bottom“ together with „inbetween={\blank[-\strutdepth]}“ the picture is aligned with the black line (top of the first text line). This would actually be the preferred solution also for „{left,high}“. Yet I couldn’t find a possibility to shift the picture vertically by some millimeters. Is there? Best regards, Florian. \useMPlibrary [dum] \setuplayout [grid=yes] \setupinterlinespace [line=20pt] \setupcaption [figure] [ location={left,high}, %% location={bottom}, %different alignment number=no, % inbetween={\blank[-.01mm]}, %Variant 1: picture top-aligned, caption on grid inbetween={\blank[-\strutdepth]}, %Variant 2: picture and caption top-aligned, caption not on grid ] \starttext \showgrid \startplacefigure [location=top,none,title={There is not so much basic instruction, as of now, as there was in the old days, showing the differences between good and bad typographic design.}, ] \placeongrid[max]{ \externalfigure [dummy] [width=.6\textwidth] } \stopplacefigure \input zapf \stoptext > Den 6. apr. 2017 kl. 10.12 skrev Florian Grammel : > > At http://tex.stackexchange.com/q/362215/6819 I asked: How can I place the top line of the caption (location={left, high}) on the grid and have it align with the figure at same height. > > I hoped this to be solvable by some simple instructions that I just haven’t been able to figure out. But Henri Menke suggested in a comment that the mechanism might not be implemented. > Is this really the case? > And if so: is there any way to achieve the alignment anyway? > > I’d greatly appreciate any help as this is an important requirement for my present project! > > Best regards, > Florian. > ____________________________________________ Florian Grammel Copenhagen, Denmark