* wider right margin when it shouldn't be
@ 2011-12-11 16:57 Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2011-12-11 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

compiling this document:

\setuppapersize[A4]
\setuppagenumbering[alternative=singlesided,location=middle]
\starttext
\showsetups
\dorecurse{4}{\input dawkins \par \input knuth \par}
\stoptext

I should get the exact same length for left and right margin (defining
margin as the total distance from the page edge to the text body edge
[sorry, it isn't as accurate as it should, but I would like to avoid
misunderstandings]). Setups show also that margin width and distance are
equal for both sides.

What I see on my laptop (and what I have seen on the printed version) is
that the right margin is wider than the left one. Is there something
wrong or which is the measure I'm missing?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: wider right margin when it shouldn't be
@ 2011-12-11 17:09 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-12-11 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.12.2011 um 17:57 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez:

> Hi there,
>
> compiling this document:
>
> \setuppapersize[A4]
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=singlesided,location=middle]
> \starttext
> \showsetups
> \dorecurse{4}{\input dawkins \par \input knuth \par}
> \stoptext
>
> I should get the exact same length for left and right margin (defining
> margin as the total distance from the page edge to the text body edge
> [sorry, it isn't as accurate as it should, but I would like to avoid
> misunderstandings]). Setups show also that margin width and distance are
> equal for both sides.
>
> What I see on my laptop (and what I have seen on the printed version) is
> that the right margin is wider than the left one. Is there something
> wrong or which is the measure I'm missing?

The margins are unrelated to the position of the left border of the text block.

ConTeXt use the value from “backspace” for the inner (left) space and the “cutspace”
value (normaly calculated by ConTeXt when you set a value for “backspace” and “width”)
for the space on the outer (right) side.

These are the three values for the horizontal dimensions:

| backspace | width | cutspace |

Wolfgang